Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

A friend who lives there told me there was 24! No idea if she is right.

2. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Milkwood reopening on March 1st

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Clearly there'll be a massive St David's Day theme to tie in with the day.

Maharani likes this.
  4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Not really Herne Hill, but I can't find a Dulwich thread.

We finally got around to going to the re-opened Dog in Dulwich (Crown and Greyhound)
    The bar bit wasn't too changed, though half the garden at the back has now gone. New toilets were very clean. It was sunday daytime, so it was completely over-run with posh families with small noisy children who run wild.

and the ale was all about £5.10 a pint. Ouch.

editor likes this.
  5. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Herne Hill Road, one side of the road is Herne Hill, the other side Camberwell. One end is near Loughborough Junction, the other end Denmark Hill. It's confusing enough already but I've now seen Estate Agent talk of 'renowned Ruskin Village'. Te he.

6. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

This is wrong.

The lower end of HHR is in Loughborough Junction, on both sides. The middle and upper end is in Herne Hill, on both sides.

Loughborough Junction turns into Herne Hill somwehere around where the Cambria pub is.

Camberwell doesn't start until at least a couple of streets to the east of HHR.

There's to be no more foolish ideas on this subject, thanks.

7. Lizzy Mac

What's wrong exactly?

8. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no. The lower end of HHR is LJ on both sides. And yes, the middle and upper is HH on both sides. LJ turns magically to HH underneath the railway bridge on HHR, just after the HH (wrongly named) surgery. Exactly halfway under the railway bridge. And under the railway bridge on Cambria Road.

You're obviously far too new in these parts.

Estate agents have been calling the houses by Ruskin Park, 'Ruskin Village' for the last few years. But as any fewl knows, this is SE5, so it's Camberwell. But woe betide of you put Camberwell on your postal address as your letters will never get delivered by the postie, as that bit of Camberwell isn't recognised as Camberwell.

We like to be geographically vague in these parts.

CH1 likes this.
  9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I thought LJAG put a lot of effort some years ago into defining Loughborough Junction as an area bounded by seven bridges.
    This part of a BCC News ("Building Communities in Coldharbour") email from September 2014:
    Loughborough Junction Action Group (LJAG) are holding a party to launch the first bridge in The 7 Bridges Project, celebrating the artworks which have been fixed to the bridge by 32 artists, and the overall improvements that are happening in Loughborough Junction.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  10. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Hey chaps, this is the Herne Hill thread take your LJ chat arguments elsewhere please.

11. teuchter

So...it is your contention that Manuel's boxing gym, and the cinema, and the Hardess industrial estate, and Lambeth Pest Control Department are all in Herne Hill?

The surgery is not wrongly named, as it is named HHR, not HH, surgery.

12. ChrisSouth

Sure, why not

13. Lizzy Mac

Post code for Whirled is SE24.

14. teuchter

And so is HHR medical practice on the other side of the bridge.

15. ChrisSouth

Agreed.

The postcodes in this part of the world are weird. Don't rely on them to define the geography.

16. Lizzy Mac

Well it all needs to begin and end somewhere.
    Seems simple enough, it's an old fashioned Parish boundary.

17. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

198 Gallery just secured funding for their building expansion...

18. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

That's good. Presume they have match funding of some sort? At their open house thing to show off the plans they mentioned works were expected to cost close to a million!

19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

20. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I’ve seen her a couple of times in Brockwell Park.

CH1 likes this.
  21. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Deliciously Ella has closed after less than a year. According to The Times, her business had lost 700 grand. Another casualty of the downturn in “casual dining”, perhaps? Or maybe a vegan deli was a bridge too far for Herne Hill?

The bakery which was destroyed in a fire has reopened though. :cool:

RubyToogood likes this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've never even heard of the place, which may have been part of the problem. To lose £700k in under a year suggests they either had a whopping rent and/or were spectacularly clueless.

Smick likes this.
  23. Rushy

They opened too many places too quickly. And whilst the concept was ok the execution was pretty poor.

24. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Has the £700k been lost between several premises then?

25. Rushy

That's what I've understood. Would be a lot to lose in less than a year on one railway arch!

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ah, so they had ideas well above their station. It seems quite a thing for entrepreneurial types to immediately start expanding if they manage a half successful foodie start up joint. I get loads of ambitious press releases all banging on about how [insert trendy foodie start up here] will soon be taking their on trend dining concept to every other trendy part of town.

alex_ likes this.
  27. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Given how expensive the food was I'm amazed they lost so much!

28. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

hurrah :):):thumbs:

29. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

that and the fact she got over £220k in dividends in the first year, still with mummy being a Sainsbury and mother-in-law being Tessa Jowell I'm sure they'll recover somehow

alex_, madolesance and editor like this.
  30. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Pretty sure she has a realitve at Penguin who pushed through the glossy/ smiley books that where based on the success of a food blog that had a following. They tried to turn that following into a bricks and mortar life style choice, but in reality, not enough people could afford to go there.

Has anyone seen the cook/ lifestyle books that kicked it all of? Go and Google the books and you'll then realise why it failed.