1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's bigger too, by another aisle. They knocked down all the lean-to crap at the back and rebuilt it as part of the shop.

2. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Has it made their post office any less depressing?

3. Crispy

That bit's still under construction bu t the completed bit looks like a vast improvement

4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I see the Herne Hill Music Festival is on Programme | Herne Hill Music Festival
    Some potentially interesting events - though mainly these are to be paid for.

Subversive cheapskate that I am, I was delighted to catch possibly the only London performance of "Dead Elvis" at the RFH on Thursday - for free!

5. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Power cut anyone?

6. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

TBF, that cat does look like it'd steal your soul as soon as look at you. :(

7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There's a strange new shed on Herne Hill by the supermarkets. Any idea what it is?

8. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I wondered about that too - wonder if you need planning permission for a shed on the pavement like that?

snowy_again likes this.
  9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

10. friendofdorothy

11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

OTC? Matt if you ask him nicely?

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. friendofdorothy

We'll make do with the Commercial after midnight til one. At least there is usually some of the old crowd in there.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. Crispy

This is because half of "Herne Hill" is in Southwark and half is in Lambeth. The Lambeth proposal just neatly slices off the Southwark bits (eg. Half Moon Lane and Norwood Road south of the bridge).

Presumably there is a parallel application process ongoing with Southwark? The government guidance requires it.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  16. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Does anyone know of a local vacuum repair person or shop? According to google the nearest one is Fulham.

17. friendofdorothy

Don't know if they fix vacuums - but Herne Hill electrical shop does fix things, they have fixed lamps for me. Try asking them 020 773 73166.

Also I've seen the helpful chap in Atasa on Clapham Road fixing all sorts of things - 020 7735 1728

Maharani likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Milkwood has closed for an unspecified amount of time for a 'refurbishment'. Anyone know any more about this?

19. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Hendo’s source says it’s struggling.

20. Maharani

I’ve just asked one of the owners. Waiting for response

21. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

What is it with that site? It just seems to struggle endlessly. I first started going when it was Escape Bar and Art. I think maybe the residents upstairs curtail the hours they can operate.

22. Maharani

Same. Seems to be jinxed

23. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Dreadful customer service and a really strange choice of food didn't help either.

Fish and Wine is also up for sale - the restaurant, and accommodation above.

24. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I gave up "giving it a go" after four or five visits. I know others who did the same. Shame. I liked the general idea.

I had good food at the fish place but it was a bit stiff. Only went the once. Mind you, fish is rarely my first choice.

25. Maharani

Problem with these places is lack of affordablity. They price people out, especially on the booze so people might go once but they won’t go back. Eateries should be affordable to a whole range of people. Makes for a better atmosphere too. These places are few and far between these days.

I liked milkwood during the week. Thought their menu was ok, nicevand short and they used to do deals on lunch in the week.

editor likes this.
  26. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with Maharani - I think they're just that bit too expensive. I did go once but didn't go back and I tend to stick to the cheaper alternatives. That new place along Norwood Road (The Park Cafe? Or Cafe on the Park or Inn on the Park?) I had a look at their menu and it is extortionate!

27. Ms T

LLewellyn’s on the other hand is booked weeks in advance. See also Naughty Piglets. Clearly there’s room for pricier offerings, but they have to be exceptional.

gaijingirl likes this.
  28. Ms T

Has anyone tried Inn the Park or whatever it’s called?

29. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

That's the one I was talking about - no - I did look at the menu expecting it to be more like a cafe, thinking we'd try it out and it was incredibly expensive.

30. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

There must be about 10 or 11 restaurants in herne hill though, and it's not really a busy place.