1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

You might be surprised by the changes today!

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I went past last night - what did I miss?

3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Half Moon interior photos (the bar):

wurlycurly likes this.
  4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

where's the pic on the top right taken? is that upstairs?

5. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Lunches for 50 quid then:

6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Was in Cafe Prov yesterday....food was well bland. How the hell you make a Croque Monsieur almost tasteless is beyond me, and my companion's egg florentine was also really dull, but with an over powering garlic flavour. Even the chips tasted of nothing.

7. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Croque Monsieur. Egg (singular) Florentine. It's people like you that are jeopardising the long-overdue arrival of a Herne Hill Gregg's.

Smick, teuchter and Nanker Phelge like this.
  8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I just wanted a bit of cheese on toast

9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The HH station retail units are up for tender again (as a consequence of the refurb):

London

A new bigger space, plus the existing 2 shops & platform kiosk.

10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The xx and the 198 Gallery/Hustlbucks art collaboration thing from last week:

friendofdorothy likes this.
  11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

And the old new platform level ticket office at Loughborough Junction I see.

How will they handle staff easements I wonder? The former platform gents - over the last 23 years the staff private loo - is part of the structure to be rented out. (picture shows what you get - at the top of the stairs after passing through ticket barriers)
    loughborough-junction.jpg

12. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

13. friendofdorothy

Are you going to the preview at the Moon tonight?

14. Lee Japser

Lee Japser Well-Known Member

15. friendofdorothy

Decided to treat myself to a pub lunch at Regent today, only to be foiled by a filming crew and a closed pub. Saw Felix in the Moon, and asked him what was going on. Filming a bet365 advert apparently.

edit to add -
    what were the odds on that happening

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    han, wurlycurly and brixtonblade like this.
  16. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

Is this all that's left for high streets now?

How about a non hipster sweet shop, s hardware store, a pet shop, a fishing shop, aanything other than bloody food and coffee!

17. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It was a restaurant before too.

18. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

Whatever man, that's just the facts

19. friendofdorothy

At least we've still got some small shops in herne hill including a hardware shop and an electrical shop. I dread the day those go.
    That place however was Pullens, previous the Restraunt Provencale selling posh french style food as far back as the 70's I think.

BigMoaner and wurlycurly like this.
  20. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Can't believe you didn't mention the wool shop!

21. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

I can't really see the point of local hardware shops. How many times do you use it each year do you reckon? They're obviously good for local DIY obsessives but then again there are B&Qs and Homebases dotted all over the place.

22. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Pfft, the one in herne hill is a treasure trove and the people who run it very helpful. Probably use it monthly.

23. friendofdorothy

Do you have a car? most of those places are not easy to get to by bus and carrying paint etc on the bus is no fun.

Herne Hill Timber was brilliant, they used to cut wood to size and deliver it. I remember the girlf going there and saying: you remember those little brass thingies I bought here last week, can I have another one? and they knew what she meant. and sold them singly. Wouldn't get that in B&Q. Oh those were the days. With B&Q I always found if you wanted to buy 6 nails you had to buy a pack of 50 and if you wanted 6 shelves they only had 1 in stock.

The hardware shop in Herne Hill is still good though and they sell everything from buckets to moth killer. I reckon I use it at least once a month too.

teuchter likes this.
  24. friendofdorothy

I'm not a DIY obsessive but cant afford to pay someone each time something breaks or needs painting.

25. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Maybe I'm the exception given that you and Snowy Again use it monthly but I think I've used it about six times in six years (sink plug, paint roller, radiator key, masking tape etc). I know the guy is uber-friendly and they stock loads of stuff but pretty much any other type of shop would be more useful as far as I'm concerned. (But not a phone shop, or a bookie's, or an overpriced deli)

26. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

They have an obsessives collection of Kilner jars!

I can't be bothered going up to B&Q for the things that I buy there, and I'd rather not give Amazon or other online people the cash.

27. friendofdorothy

No don't mention the wool shop! that place scares me.

28. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

There's always a small queue in the hardware shop and someone else browsing.
    It's well stocked and really useful. I use it tonnes.

29. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Llewelyns opened yesterday (Tuesday 11th) so went in today to pinch a menu and see what if anything I could afford. Starters £7 - mains £16.50 with veg 3.50 a plate on top - puds 6.50. All prices 'ish'.
    Restrained, minimal, cool interior with waiters in long white aprons.
    I went round the back to look through the bins ...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    wurlycurly likes this.
  30. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Deliciously Ella is opening a place called The Kitchen Counter in the arches on Milkwood Road shortly. One for the vegetarians and even vegans, I'm told.

Sister Midnight likes this.