1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yeah you're right: that article has got its dates wrong. I never knew he had upmarket West End connections until today.

Greebo likes this.
  2. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I don't think that street was really upmarket in the 90s, half of those houses were sex trade related.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still way, way out of the reach of most people.

4. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Spotted this morning. We'll have to rename the shop Cape Fear.

Attached Files:

snowy_again and Greebo like this.
  5. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

He's a long time resident of Brixton, like since the mid eighties. A very canny businessman for sure. I heard gossip today that he (Mr Franco Manca) is trying to buy back Blacks club having sold it for an undisclosed amount a few years ago when he got into a bit of bother. Nice enough man though, last time I saw him he was quietly queueng up outside his own restaurant in the villaage.

Greebo likes this.
  6. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

7. technical

technical stripey

That's got to be a complete no-no. Not only is it metropolitan open land, its also a conservation area and a registered park & garden (Grade II). The park also includes several listed buildings - the hall is Grade II*.

If someone is spending money on this project before investigating the planning constraints they're mad IMO.

Greebo likes this.
  8. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Greebo likes this.
  9. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Some bloke was tasered on Norwood Road last night (allegedly carrying a gun in his car).

11. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

Probably this: Four charged following Trident operation
    "Four people have been charged with firearms offences following an intelligence-led operation by officers from the Trident and Area Crime Command."

bimble likes this.
  12. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Double rainbow for early risers.

gaijingirl and Greebo like this.
  13. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I saw this over my garden - it was beautiful. Then I fell back asleep. Wish I'd taken a photo.

Greebo likes this.
  14. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

I didn't see this one, but IMHO part of the magic is not always being able to get a photo when you see a rainbow - double or otherwise. :)

gaijingirl likes this.
  15. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

16. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Yes - I suppose that's true. A touch of the "mono no aware".

Greebo likes this.
  17. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

20160916_144418.jpg

Greebo and BoxRoom like this.
  18. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

ooo! about time they did something. I wish they would get a move on.

Some one was asking me what was happening with the Moon the other day, they also asked - is the boxing gym upstairs still open? and I had no idea.

Greebo, BoxRoom and Fingers like this.
  19. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Best Kebab has finally gone but it has moved around the corner to Dulwich Road at least.
    2016 - 1 (1).jpg 2016 - 1.jpg

Greebo and friendofdorothy like this.
  20. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

I <3 best kebab

BoxRoom likes this.
  21. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I like that their kebab meat is cooked through those basalt rocks which you get on a gas barbecue.

Greebo likes this.
  22. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

that kebab place is decent, however i have always found they were mighty tight with the donor meat. i.e a small donor really did mean small, when it should still be an absolute mouthful for a fiver.

also rather unluckily almost every time i walked past and fancied one, the donor spit would be right down to the dregs, and rather unappetising

23. teuchter

:eek:

wurlycurly and Sister Midnight like this.
  24. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Popped into The Commercial to meet a fellow Urb tonight and they are serving pints of Keyboard Warrior. Hard to resist...

25. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

It seemed to be about all they were serving - loads of the pumps were off!

26. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Even that was off for a while. So I opted for the pleasingly named Wheaty McWheatface.

27. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Bad Halloween in Herne Hill.
    There's a group of unsupervised and quite young kids running around, at the top of the hill near Petermans, being agressive and obnoxious to people. Be aware.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. teuchter

For those following the Carnegie Library plans... there is a planning application in at the moment, to add a gym to the basement including various external extensions. Comments/objections need to be made by next Monday, 12th December. I have put a summary of the proposals on the Carnegie thread here:

Save Lambeth Libraries and the Carnegie Library occupation

friendofdorothy and CH1 like this.
  30. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

My son's nursery in Herne Hill just sent me this and thought I would post it here

A parent has alerted us of incident that occurredyesterday afternoon in the vicinity of WoodwardeRoad.

This is the abstract forward to us.

A nanny was walking to pick up at Dulwich Village Infant School with a baby in a buggy and 3 year old on a bike. The 3 year old cycled a bit ahead, a man in a green Vauxhall got out and tried to grab the child. The nanny shouted him off and he took off in the car. The police were informed by the parents when they returned home. The police have stressed that they should have been informed immediately to get cars out in the area.