Hemel Hempstead vs DHFC - Tuesday 13 August

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by pompeydunc, Aug 11, 2019.

1. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

East midweek away day. Who's in?

Definitely easier to get train to St Albans and bus from there, rather than train to HH. Also far better for beer, if you have time for that...

2. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

The really good news is Sammy Moore is the HH manager, so brace yourselves for extreme levels of cheating and blatant attempts to get some of our players sent off.

I honestly would love to meet the bloke at HH who watched Concord last season and thought: 'Yeh, that's how I want us to be playing next season.'

editor likes this.
  3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I think they’ve had a couple of reds this season too, so what odds this finishing eleven v eleven.
    I wasn’t planning to go to this one but have been offered a lift, it’s a fair trek from the station, I believe Apsley is slightly nearer than Hemel Hempstead.
    Didn’t go last year, so haven’t been here since we lost in the FA Cup here. Anyone remember Erhun’s goal in that? Nice enough ground, covered at both ends, it’s just the location I don’t particularly like.
    And if I ever need a reason for not liking a place I once got stuck in a public toilet in Hemel when the lock broke on the cubicle & had to dial 999 to ask for help in being released as I didn’t know who else to call!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

Oh dear, what can the matter be, poor old Mishi locked in a lavatory! :)

Lucy Fur, EDC and the 12th man like this.
  5. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I was more concerned about missing kick off... I was on my way to a Reserve Team game in the Capital League! As the old & apt expression goes: shit happens!

scousedom and Cyclodunc like this.
  6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I can't make it to this one, but does that bus back to St Albans run a late evening service? The other alternative for Saturday visits is the Green Line Bus from Victoria that goes to within a couple of hundred yards of the ground, but that doesn't run after about 8pm.

Getting to and from the ground via Hemel Hempstead station is a nightmare with no bus service between the two for a 2-3 miles distance, and it's a horrible walk. Anyone going by train from Euston to Hemel Hempstead (or on the West London route from East Croydon via Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction) is really looking at a cab journey to and from the ground.

They probably just looked at the fact that Concord finished about ten places above them in last season's league table and qualified for the play-offs. (Although of course they were ultimately disqualified on ground grading criteria.)

7. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

A semi-relevant question but if we were to finish in the playoff places this season, does Champion Hill meet the criteria to let us take part?

8. editor

editor hiraethified

I was thinking about going to this but it's further away than I thought (it's coming up at around 2 hours on public transport).

9. Pink Panther

I believe so. 500 seats split between no more than two stands is the main one, which was where Concord fell down, then it's stuff like turnstiles, toilets etc.

It's basically the other side of Watford. Distance is less of an issue than just being really fiddly to get to.

Pompeydunc's route of Thameslink to St Albans City then 301 bus to within a few minutes walk of the ground would be my choice. Having checked, it's an hourly service for the return leg with a bus conveniently due at 2204 (a later one at 2304) with a 25 minute journey time back to St Albans.

editor likes this.
  10. ftg6

ftg6 Member

I'm tempted to go on my bill to this one but the journey back does look like a mission. If the 2204 doesn't turn up/is delayed I'm pretty much screwed. Anyone got this bus back before on a midweek by any chance? Reliable service?

editor likes this.
  11. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Yes, there is one at 9.54pm from the stop near the ground.

Pink Panther and Cyclodunc like this.
  12. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Liam Nash joined Hemel in the summer and looks likely to play.

(Truly a Pointless answer, if I ever heard one)

Cyclodunc likes this.
  13. Pink Panther

Hemel seem to be having a bit of an injury crisis too with only 4 substitutes named on Saturday including a goalkeeper, and a player sent off last Tuesday who will be unavailable tomorrow.

Taylor will be available again following a one match suspension, Vose will begin a 3 match ban on Saturday.

pettyboy likes this.
  14. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

It'll be nice not to be on the end of a Jordan Parkes stonker tomorrow. I'm sure Liam Nash or someone will step up to the plate in his absence mind.

15. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

No danger of that just yet as Parkes joined Billericay!

Cyclodunc and pettyboy like this.
  16. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Member

Watch out for Isaac Galliford - likes running at the defence and dangerous when he has his shooting boots on!

17. editor

editor hiraethified

Can anyone take snaps for Buzz tonight?

18. Pink Panther

Listening to the radio commentary right now. Three changes to Saturday's XI with Ambroisine, Vose and Akinyemi all dropping to the bench with Taylor returning at the back, Clunis unsurprisingly starts following his impact against St Albans, while White gets his first start. Ijaha takes the place of Morris on the bench after recovering from a bout of tonsilitis.

19. Pink Panther

Bugger! 1-0 down from the first clear chance of the match .

20. editor

editor hiraethified

Arsenuggets.

21. editor

editor hiraethified

*Using Spock-like mind melding powers to suck the ball into Hempstead's net.

tenor.gif

22. editor

editor hiraethified

0-1 defeat :(

23. cg__

cg__ Active Member

even just listening to that game was frustrating

Nivag and Pink Panther like this.
  24. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

How did we play?

25. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

We huffed and puffed but didn't show enough quality. Had slightly more impetus when Ajaya came on and drove us forward.

Smith went agonisingly close from a corner, but the ball had come through bodies and more or less just hit him.

White struck just wide from outside the box.

Barnes perhaps could have thrown himself at a Monakana cross.

The draw might have been deemed a fair result but we can't point to a hatful of opportunities missed or even say we particularly tested Beasant.

pompeydunc likes this.
  26. Ben Caldecourt

Ben Caldecourt Active Member

Don't think it's an easy place to go on a Tuesday night, they've started well and as much as I don't like him, I don't think Sammy Moore's teams ever do that bad.

I didn't go so can't comment on performance. I was at Tonbridge v Concord. Concord gave little to worry about in my opinion and I'm surprised that they'd won 3/3 before last night. Awful advert for NLS football. Sheriff wasn't getting anything at all.

Pink Panther and pettyboy like this.
  27. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Encouraging for Saturday. Cheers for the scout report BC!

28. Ben Caldecourt

Ben Caldecourt Active Member

Pleasure. I'm probably setting us right up for a 4-0 thrashing now!