Hemel Hempstead v Dulwich Hamlet - Saturday 8th December

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by pettyboy, Dec 3, 2018.

1. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Wanted to start this thread - mainly because I'm curious about how others are travelling from South London!

pompeydunc likes this.
  2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Cheapest train fares are direct from Balham or Clapham Junction (avoiding Zone 1) to Hemel Hempstead. Otherwise trains from Euston. The ground is about 2 miles from the station. There are also Green Line buses from Victoria that will drop you within a couple of hundred yards of the ground. I'll try to post further details when I have more time.

3. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Proper revelation that I can get there direct from Balham, avoiding crosstown faff. Cheers PP.

pompeydunc and Pink Panther like this.
  4. Pink Panther

Hourly service from Balham at 29 past the hour, 60 minutes journey time.

the 12th man and StephenMac like this.
  5. StephenMac

Scrub that. Direct from Streatham Common but wouldn't have even looked if you hadn't mentioned Balham. Can we play them every week?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  6. Pink Panther

Long hike from the station at the other end and Hemel's a hellhole, so no thanks.

StephenMac likes this.
  7. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy New Member

It's a long and mostly drab walk from Hemel Station. Stopping off for beer in St Albans and then 300 / 301 bus takes you close to the ground.

pompeydunc and Pink Panther like this.
  8. Ian Kaye

Ian Kaye Well-Known Member

Be careful of these direct trains from Balham and Clapham Junction they often get cancelled.

Pink Panther and StephenMac like this.
  9. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I’m in but might be a tad fragile after a double whammy of the Guild of Battlefield Guides lunch and a cricket club dinner the day before.

10. StephenMac

Going to bring a tambourine and stand next to you all game.

Blitzwalker and Cyclodunc like this.
  11. Pink Panther

And a cowbell. And a triangle.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  12. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Drum and keys.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  13. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

I mean, this is possibly the most unlikely thing EVER...

14. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

The price you have to pay for having a life !

Blitzwalker likes this.
  15. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

I often thought Hemel Hempstead was a made up place, I've never been and can't even remember seeing a sign for it, even having travelled up the M1 hundreds of times.The only thing I know about Hemel Hemstead is that they had a basketball team in the 80's whos results used to come up on the vidiprinter on Grandstand (for no particular reason) - or did I dream that?!! I might have to go just to check it's real.

imposs1904 likes this.
  16. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

I've been to Hemel once, to go to the weird snowdome thing they have there.

17. cg__

cg__ Member

My main memory of Hemel Hempstead was when that factory exploded a number of years back. It was either my birthday or Xmas at the time and it meant we couldn't make the trip to my nan's in Watford

Cat Daisy and iamwithnail like this.
  18. StephenMac

Very fair point.

19. Pink Panther

Buncefield Oil Depot. It's 13 years this month since it happened. I remember I'd just started a new job and the following week there were fluffy black clouds drifting across Croydon on a sunny day. It's very close to where the football ground is.

Blitzwalker and Cat Daisy like this.
  20. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy New Member

Buncefield terminal - 2005. Could see the smoke even from the other side of Hertfordshire. The site is close enough to the ground to pay a visit.

21. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Definitely had a basketball team - Hemel Hempstead Lakers, later rebranded as ‘Ovaltine Hemel Hempstead’ following a sponsorship deal with the locally based malty drink maker. They played in bright orange in line with the drink’s packaging at the Dacorum Leisure Centre in the town.

imposs1904 and Jimbob73 like this.
  22. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

23. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

Remember the Buncefield thing well. Actually heard the explosion from my house in SE7 - quite early on a Sunday morning. As PP says, the smoke was visible from across London too.

24. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

It was a fuel depot, wasn't it?

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I heard it too and got up to see where the noise had come from. It was almost as loud as the cheers after Erhum's chip.

26. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

Apologies to anyone who uses the service but unfortunately there won’t be any DHFCRadio for this game, back as usual for the following week plus there will still be highlights.

iamwithnail and Pink Panther like this.
  27. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Interesting. Hemel asking for a payment, or some other farcical rights issue? I really appreciated the commentary last month... Many thanks!

28. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Nothing like that. He just won’t be able to be there. Think he said it’s his first game he’s missed in over 2 years. Amazing!

YTC and pompeydunc like this.
  29. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Fully self-actualised

I live in Hemel Hempstead. It's... Alright!

imposs1904 likes this.
  30. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy New Member

A strong Hemel side (8 of last Saturday's XI, I think) only just edged past Step 3 Hitchin Town on penalties last night in the Herts Senior Cup. Wide man Tom Knowles looked like the player to watch as he forced some good saves out of Hitchin's goalie but it was 0-0 after 90 minutes. No extra time needed to be played in this one - just went straight to the shootout!

Cyclodunc likes this.