1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with atos pip assessment needed

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by TopCat, Mar 3, 2017.

1. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Well they rang my mate before the appointment and before I got to him engaging him in sneaky beaky conversation about a lack of doctors and asking him to reschedule?

He was a bit sleepy but insisted it go ahead. I had taken a day off, the Taxi was booked. He asked if he should come later but they were adamant he arrived on time. So off we go to the Bunker. No windows, ex community centre building. Your arrival is observed and recorded from the car park onwards.

The car park is designed as a walking test. A slope to get to the door. Then an observed mandatory wait. A long corridor when its your turn, this is designed and measured to be the walking test, no one tells you this. By the time you reach the consulting room, well if you got there on your own legs, you just lost.

Not sure about saying any more. But fingers crossed.

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

I understand if you don't want to give personal details away about your mate TopCat but I am always interested to hear people's reflections about these appointments in terms of questioning and behaviour of the assessors. What were your main observations?

friendofdorothy likes this.
  3. TopCat

Ooh i have loads of observations to make that may be of interest. Beg patience till tomorrow. :)

4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I hope the whole nasty process hasn't made your friend iller. Fingers crossed for him.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

Was it obvious that they were watching/recording you on the way in, or was it a two-way-mirror jobby like where I went? I had some trouble convincing my mate I was with that it was indeed a two-way-mirror at the end of the entrance hall, facing out the doors and down the car park. I still made sure I did things like drop him off, then park, leaving him there wobbling rather than walk the length of the car park. We got full enhanced rate everything, so we must have done everything right.

6. TopCat

Before the appointment we found someone who had previously had a PIP assessment at the same assessment centre , failed it, and had successfully requested a copy of the assessor's report which they shared with us.

It was grim reading but illuminating and very useful.

The assessment started when you arrive. They are videoing you in high resolution. They observe you getting out of a vehicle, walking or not up the slop to the door, this distance is measured.

They observe you in the reception area for twenty minutes. The reception staff remind me of dole office employees in the 80's, showing barely concealed contempt.

They assess whether you respond to your name being called. They assess the ease or not of getting up out of a chair. The walk to the health care professional's office is also measured, with a hand rail along one side. My friend was in a wheelchair, his mobility is very poor at present.

We had requested a male assessor over a week before and had been assured that this would be arranged. He would feel more comfortable discussing intimate issues with a man. Just as I wheeled him into the consulting/interrogation room I reminded them of this. They were on the back foot now.

We did not want to wait more and as they explained with summonsed reception staff that they had no record of such a request, we relented.

She took a detailed account of ailments and mobility issues and impact on mobility. She seemed increasingly embarrassed by the obvious foolishness in having such a sick man endure an assessment process such as this. She asked me if I was writing down everything she said, I responded I was taking notes of salient facts and ailments to ensure they were all covered. She seemed rattled by this. I just smiled.

I was amazed at the end when she openly said her report would recommend he get the full entitlement and not to worry he would keep his benefits.

It was a very stressful experience for both of us. We await the result.

7. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Some excellent advice there TopCat . Thanks for sharing.

stuff_it, TopCat and Pickman's model like this.
  8. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

In the Balham assessment centre, the receptionist had a strategically placed laptop which was obviously recording the whole waiting area. On leaving one of the staff followed us out to pretend to make a phone call. They're not even any good at being discreet.

9. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

TopCat, hope your mate gets the right result. And good for you going with him and supporting him.

These absolute fuckers though. How has it come to this? :mad:

10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

I'm glad your friend had your support

Pls let us know how your mate's case turns out

11. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for your mate. It's awful having to jump through hoops for it.

TopCat likes this.
  12. TopCat

Spoke to him today. He is sweating the arrival of the brown envelope..

13. Pickman's model

If best wishes can help, sending mine

emanymton likes this.
  14. TopCat

Cheers mate. No hyperbole, if he gets turned down, he will self harm, wont last the appeal. Mega stressful fucking mind fuck.

15. Pickman's model

Needless fucking stress :mad: but, they hound people into an early grave to save a fucking pittance.

16. TopCat

I'm not sweating to be fair. I reckon it will be fine. Fingers crossed like. :)

17. Pickman's model

Oh I do hope so :)

TopCat likes this.
  18. stuff_it

If anyone is interested or needs any help with this sort of thing, I have a standing email with examples, filling in instructions, and the book they use to train the assessors attached. Just PM me with your email address.

As mentioned earlier, my method got my mate into the support group, and got him full rate PIPs from not having any within a few months.

kittyP likes this.
  19. stuff_it

20. TopCat

My mate got the full PIP award.

21. Pickman's model

:cool:

22. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Very good news. And you're a good friend helping him get what he's entitled to. :thumbs:

(Obviously he should've just got that anyway but with these fuckers and the system as it is... :mad:)

23. TopCat

I learnt a lot about the process via the fellow claimant's case and FOI documents and my friend's experience.
    I can't list all my top tips here but know enough to assist if anyone wants help for themselves or pals. :)

24. TopCat

It was a job of work to be fair with huge stakes. The stress felt by my mate was severe. I shudder thinking of the unsupported and how they manage illness and disability in the context of possible loss of essential income.
    I am still er cross about the structure and staffing of the assessment process.
    I like helping out people over this. Good for my anger management.

Chilli.s, crossthebreeze and Sue like this.