1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help save the Royal Vauxhall Tavern (RVT)

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Guineveretoo, Jun 13, 2016.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Interesting meeting and a good turn out for a chilly wednesday evening with no entertainment on.

Planning conditions that have been hard won, would make it nigh on impossible for the nature of the business to change from being a community venue + pub + entertainment nightclub, so the RVT couldn't easily become just a pub, or just restaurant, or just a night club - not with out Lambeth contacting all 1200 people who submitted evidence to them. This means it's almost impossible for Inovate, the freeholders to find more profitable leaseholder. They are a property development company, they can't demolish it, build on it or change it into flats and they are not in the business of freeholding venues. RVT Future is a thorn in their side. So hopefully their best option is to sell RVT to the community. Least I hope so. Price will be subject to hard negotiation (but I guess will be £ millions)

The idea is for the community to buy the building and to keep the existing leaseholder, who runs the venue, in place. If they are ever to be replaced it will have to be with a similar sort of queer bar.

They are still in the process of registered the Community Benefit Society. It's an arcane type of co-op set up that will allow community owernership. When all the formalities are complete, which should be soon, the society will be able issue legal shares that can't be traded or passed on, so control of the building can never slip away from the community ever again. A share will start at £250. The organisation will be democratically run with elected directors. At the moment youngish gay white men with beards are well represented in RVT Future, so they are keen to get more people of every gender/background/etc involved.

There will be more detailed info/ legal stuff issued by email shortly and I'll post it up.

2. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Thanks for the excellent report, friendofdorothy! I would have gone to the meeting but was in España then.

So the next step is community ownership, clearly, but will Innovate sell the RVT to the community benefit society, and how do we encourage them down that road, I wonder....

Clearly the status quo isn't going to be profitable for them. Hopefully they can see we're never going to give up, and sell. But could someone else buy it or would they have to sell to us? ('Us', meaning the Community Benefit Society, of which I definitely want to be a part).

3. friendofdorothy

I'm not sure but as I understand it, it would be difficult to sell to anyone else - without planning permission or the possibility of permission the place isn't as attractive as it was when the current owners bought it.

I'm glad you want to be a part of the community benefit soc. I hope a lot of us do. I'm still waiting to receive the document they would send out to everyone at the meeting.

Best thing to do in the meantime is to spread the word - once shares are issued they will need to sell a lot of them - so tell everyone you know who might be interested.

han likes this.
  4. friendofdorothy

Have finally heard from RVT future -the latest financial report is online.

Poi E likes this.