1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help save the Royal Vauxhall Tavern (RVT)

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Guineveretoo, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

If anyone has photos of when you were at the Vauxhall Tavern, or tickets or posters or flyers of events you went to there, they are urgently needed to help secure its future.

I am sure lots of you have been there - please dig through your archives!

Details of why, and what to do with what you find:

A new threat to the RVT's future - Future of the Royal Vauxhall Tavern

editor likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

:mad:

Guineveretoo likes this.
  3. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Just to let you all know the RVT is still not safe - this is where things are now

I went along to the RVT future evening on the 19th Jan '17 '50 years of queers'. There was a panel discussion with Q&A (and cabaret afterwards) Amy Lamé, London’s Night Czar and former RVT Future Chair, led the panel discussing the challenges faced by London’s queer venues.
    • Juno Dawson (multi-award-winning author and promoter of Club Silencio)
    • Rob Holley (co-chair of RVT Future, charity campaigner and promoter of Push The Button)
    • Jack Hopkins (Labour Councillor for Oval; Lambeth Council Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Business and Culture)
    • Chardine Taylor-Stone (DJ, activist and writer)
    Basically the latest is that the owners (austrian property company) have been refused all planning permission.
    RVT has Asset of community Value which means that the owners are supposed to offer it for sale to the community first, but they had already put it on the market.
    The building /freehold has been offically valued at £2.5million, but the owners are asking for £3.5million.
    The rvt future organisation now wants to form a community owned co op, raise the cash, buy the building and run it for the benefit of the LGBTQ+ community.
    Watch the site for news. Spread the word. Save the RVT!

Home - Future of the Royal Vauxhall Tavern

4. friendofdorothy

Meant to say, I really want to own a piece of the RVT.

I mean where else could a middle aged lesbian possibly go at nearly 1pm in the morning, with no ID, enjoy a a sweaty dance and get chatted up by a 20 year old woman! well that was a great end to my saturday night! Oooo I love the RVT.

han, Reno, quimcunx and 3 others like this.
  5. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I'm in :D

6. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

I think this will be a good use for my savings.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  7. friendofdorothy

whoops! silly me, had a few had I!

1am - when I'm normally fast asleep.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Guineveretoo likes this.
  8. friendofdorothy

well more fun than a saving account anyway.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  9. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

I think this is brilliant - I'm pretty sceptical of the whole asset of community value thing given the tiny numbers of places that have managed it but the RVT should be an ideal candidate for actually making it work.:cool:

That said I'd be wary of this:

because I don't think a community interest company will (or should) be paying out any dividends or anything like that. I'd check but I think those profits will be reinvested and not available to investors so it's not going to make a return on investment if that's what you're after.

10. friendofdorothy

yes you are quite right - nothing has been decided or announced yet. I'll edit to correct.

I was thinking of the Ivy House which was bought by the community after getting ACV status - I beleive they have some return for shareholders. The RVT will need some money spent on it too to make it more accessible (it has no wheelchair accessible loos for a start).

snowy_again likes this.
  11. friendofdorothy

Ok the RVT are raising money for their legal costs - I urge anyone and everyone who has ever had a good night out there or hopes to do so again - or just cares about the disappearing nightlfe and performance spaces. PLEASE give what you can.

Donate here: Help raise £30000 to set up a Community Benefit Society - the first step towards a community buy-out of the Royal Vauxhall Tavern.

editor likes this.
  12. friendofdorothy

So far they have 51% of the £30000 they need to start with!
    that's 313 people have given £15,564.

snowy_again likes this.
  13. friendofdorothy

Now up to 54%!

£16,454
    raised of £30,000 target, by 334 supporters. hooray.

If you love the RVT please do help if you can.

14. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Will sort something in a bit. Haven't been there as much as I really ought to have over the years (couple of Duckies, one particularly memorable night with Tina C :D) as I seemed to end up at different LGBT venues. Legendary and important place though. I'm staying with a mate in Battersea one weekend in March though so might have to get myself down there :hmm:

mango5 and friendofdorothy like this.
  15. friendofdorothy

Ahh! Tina C 'putting the cunt into country', I saw her down the vauxhall too, some time ago.

I think there is a danger we could lose all our queer venues if something doesn't change. We've already lost so many including the legendry Black Cap. Its a ridulous situation when a popular and profitable place can be under threat.

PS they have raised 55% now (the bigger challenge is still ahead - to sell it to the community by raising 2.5-4 millions needed to buy the place)

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

18. friendofdorothy

worst nightmare - this buyer does not give a shit.

19. friendofdorothy

Fight back! RVT future has raised 65% of its target.

£19,766 raised of £30,000 target by 434 supporters

han likes this.
  20. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

The tavern was sold by the owners to Imovate an Austrian company with a lease of three years given to one of the former owners while they got planning permission to flatten the tavern and build a 15 story hotel (it was never going to happen due to the small foot print of the tavern and height restriction on that side of railway track). The second option of building flats on top and stopping the pub carrying on it's traditional activities was stopped by lambeth and a sui generis application. Imovate refuse to talk to the any of the community about its sale and this underhand legal method of onward sale to faucet taverns is under way. I think they want to ensure that as they have lost money the community will not prevail. Not sure how this can be stopped but I've stuck some money in the fighting fund and would be willing to buy some shares.

21. friendofdorothy

Fill out our community survey: Community ownership: we want to hear from you - Future of the Royal Vauxhall Tavern

19sixtysix likes this.
  22. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

23. friendofdorothy

£30,431raised of £30,000 target by 808 supporters

But hey RVT Future has raised enough for their first target.

Not sure if this is fast enough to organise a rival bid. but fingers crossed x

T & P, stethoscope and snowy_again like this.
  24. han

han brixton hill hobbit

The latest is that Innovate have pulled out of the sale, I hear.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh I do hope so.

26. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Off to the RVT this Saturday for the first time in quite a few years, excited :D