Help needed on fixing broken door lock

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Oula, Oct 24, 2015.

1. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It's a snib not a latch. Does it normally go down to lock the door? It could have slipped and it's a locksmith job if it has. Are you in a cold part of the country? Could it be frozen shut?

2. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Won't work if the snib's down.

3. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

Any other means of access - even if it means breaking a window? I've seen elderly nightlatches where the snib has stopped being quite so positively held in either position, so it's possible that the force of the door closing was just enough to get it to drop.

It might be worth trying to jiggle the key in the lock quite violently, in the hope that if the snib is only partially engaged, it jumps out again. Was it quite an old lock? They do get a bit floppy with age...

ffsear likes this.
  4. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

fnarr

existentialist and High Voltage like this.
  5. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

Well, don't we all? :D

6. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Yep, that's was pretty what the locksmith said. He had to drill it out and put a new lock on. £320!!! I'm in the wrong game! (luckily insurance covered it)

7. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

I guess it's something of a distress purchase - locksmith or smashed window type deal.

There's probably an argument for putting a new lock on every 10 years, if all it is is a nightlatch, rather than a more...engineered lock.

8. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

Oh dear, I haven't been on urban for a bit but pickmans has *liked* a post of mine here.
    I'm a retired locksmith with MS and happy to help, but obviously too much time has passed and you would have had the locksmith or broken in by now :(

Mm maybe a bit steep so glad it's insurance.
    Pricewise though it just depends what he drilled and why did he have to fit a new lock? Yes he may have had to drill a cylinder out but I don't understand a whole new lock. Still, I suppose it just depends........

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Well if it's got a shoogly snib it'll just happen again surely?