1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed on fixing broken door lock

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Oula, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

Our back door has stopped opening. We think the cylindrical spinning thing in the middle of the bit that goes in the hole on the door frame when you lock it has slipped down and stuck the door locked (as this happened once before when the door was open). Any ideas what we can do, or is it a locksmith job? If it is a locksmith job, advice on better terminology so I sound like less of a tit would be appreciated.

There's only a hole for a key on one side of the door.

It happened when Mr Oula was smoking in the garden. Luckily I was still awake to let him in the front door as he was in his pajamas with no keys.

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Are we talking a Yale lock or mortice lock or what?

3. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Either way, isn't it just a question of taking the whole lock off and replacing it with an identical replacement from your local hardware store?

Unless of course it's the lock on a plastic double glazed door.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  4. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I think the spinning cylindrical bit is the barrel and you can just replace this bit on some locks.

Can you open the door to get at the lock?

Photos of the lock would be useful as different types vary. Iirc yardbird was a locksmith and may be able to advise.

5. jontz01

jontz01 taking refuge in the loft

If it's a pvc door, open it, remove grub screws from the edge and the barrel should slide out one way or the other. Take this to your local locksmith shop for a swap. Cost me about 15 quid five years ago.

6. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

We can't open the door and can't figure out how to get into mechanism at all. If we could get the door open I'd be happy to change lock myself- have done it before - but priority is actually getting door open. I think it's a mortise. Door is wooden. I'll take pictures.

7. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

8. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

image.jpg

Type of key, in case that is any use.

9. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

10. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

Hope those pictures help. Bottom one is where I have taken the plate off but can't really see any way to get further inside.

11. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

yes, it's a mortice lock and no, you can't get any further inside without opening the door, I don't know what you do at this point tbh and whether it needs a carpenter or locksmith or if it's something you can do easily yourself if you know what to do. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  12. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

Thanks.

The door also has some type of wooden dowling bits that fit into recessed holes in the frame which I assume is to make it harder to just take the door of it's hinges.

13. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

can't you get something thin in there to lift the "spinning cylindrical thing" ?

14. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

If I can't do any more myself if anyone can advise who I need to get to come round and recommend someone in West Norwood area, that would be great.

15. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

16. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

No. There's too much metal in the way.

17. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Try the lock from both sides, inside the house and outside the house. If jiggling it a lot and some patience doesn't work, then I think you may need a locksmith. You obviously know that the door has to be opened to get the lock mechanism out to replace it.

18. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

Can lock smiths do all that needs doing or will we need a carpenter too?

19. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Hopefully a locksmith can open that. I'd spend a good half hour rattling the key to try and free it first. Don't spray any wd40 until its the last resort.

Sirena likes this.
  20. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

Ok, will give it a go.

21. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

A few years ago the mortice lock in my front door seized up so I couldn't open it. I called in a locksmith and as far as I remember, he drilled through the front of the door and into the lock mechanism, and was then able to unjam and open the lock and so open the door. The lock then needed to be replaced.

I suspect you'll end up having to do something similar.

22. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

Hiya.
    Friendly urban locksmith - advice and all that :)
    Is actually a brass key with "Chub" on it.
    My guess is that this has been getting worse over time and requiring of a "fiddle"

Two things. Details on the key.

Look thru keyhole and does bottom part appear to be blocked so that you can't get the key in?

I about but it can take time to get to the door/keyboard.

Pickman's model and BigTom like this.
  23. High Voltage

High Voltage Laying in the gutter, looking at the kerb.

I believe that krink is Urban's resident expert when it comes to all things doors ;)

gentlegreen likes this.
  24. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

yardbird yes it has been getting worse for a while and being ignored. Can get key into lock easily, just can't turn it.

25. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

I bet it works from one side only (key prob) or key wobbles in the lock - it might need a new bolt thrower - or curtain .
    Need to see actual key pics etc :)

Pickman's model likes this.
  26. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

The key picture I posted is the actual key. There's only a keyhole on one side of the door - other side has no hole on wood. Handle has been a bit flappy for a while. Spinning cylinder in barrel (?) has apparently slipped once before when door was open preventing the barrel (?) retracting so making it impossible to shut door, so we are assuming same has happened now with door shut.

27. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

I'm locked out. Yale lock. Locksmith can't get here for 2 hours. Its as if the latch has closed when i left the house this morning, but i don't get how that is possible???:confused::confused::confused:, any one have any ideas?

28. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Go to the pub and await locksmith there

29. keybored

keybored

You've forgotten where you live and you're trying the wrong door. Try doors on surrounding houses until you find the right one.

Puddy_Tat, ffsear, Signal 11 and 2 others like this.
  30. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

You used to be able to get into a yale lock with a credit card, tbh I'd bump it open then fix the door frame