Help me pick a new car

Discussion in 'transport' started by Fez909, Aug 2, 2018.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Useful that someone has mentioned tax. £140 for a Corsa seems ridiculous in my opinion. My 1.6 Mondeo was £30 a year. My Mums' 1.2 Fiat 500 is £30 a year, and my 2.0 litre Mazda 3 is, wait for it, £30 a year.

If emissions are important to you, then there's plenty of vehicles out there with 'allegedly' low emissions that will cost you bugger all to tax, and over the years is a significant saving when factoring in repairs down the line, or better still, can help increase your budget for a better spec/newer car.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Fez909 likes this.
  2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Sorry, missed this earlier.
    Yeah, the tax system is fucked up, IMO.

The tax on a 10yo car compared to a brand new car - I understand new cars are more efficient, but building a new car puts out a lot more emissions than keeping an existing one on the road, surely?

My mam pays nothing to tax her car - ridiculous.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  3. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Apparently one of the 2017 Astra's is road tax exempt. Though I can't imagine driving a 1.0 litre Astra is a pleasant drive.

4. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Hmm. I don't think it's as bad as is thought if you have a good garage, rather then main dealer. However I've already mentioned my main issue is that you generally get an older car for the same money, with the the problems that go with it.

Just throwing it out there. Young drivers avoid them due to insurance costs, but it's not that true as you get older and yet you get a lot for your money at the more budget end for just this reason. Many people think that small cars are cheaper to run, but again you lose that benefit the moment you start to doing long journeys. They are more comfortable to drive, for sure, not because they are speed machines, but bigger cars are built more with comfort in mind. Finally as the starting price is normally higher, they got "modern" features a few years earlier then small cars from the same manufacturers (generally).

Edit. Not saying thats what you should do. Just throwing out other ideas.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Fez909 likes this.
  5. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

[​IMG]

:p

PippinTook likes this.
  6. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It's more about the day to day - back to a point I've made before about small cars eventually being frustrating for long journeys or prolonged use.
    New, not unless it's electric - only zero-CO2 vehicles are exempt.

Used, first registered before April 2017, some are cheap (£20) and some are free.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  7. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Some are. Some aren't. The "Mini-MPV" was considered a crossover, but the Jazz and Note were both excellent cars. Smaller than a Golf, with more interior space. The Captur has more space than a Clio without being much larger, whereas the Juke is actually smaller than the Pulsar both in and out (Pulsar's a bit of a shit car though). Also, in a lot of cases where the smaller crossover costs more new, it goes back to how you'd expect with used prices - eg: the CX-3 vs. the Mazda 3.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  8. We could have gone for an A4, but the A6 puts more space between the kids so they can’t attack each other quite so easily.

And yes, it does need two turbo chargers and the ability to do more than double the speed limit, without that how could it annoy you quite so much? Worth every penny.

UnderAnOpenSky and kebabking like this.
  9. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Fez909 are you any nearer choosing a car?

10. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

There's a Honda Jazz that always parks me in, so now I hate all of them.

11. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

No, I'm less sure than ever what I want now.

I was nearly certain I wanted an Astra before.

Now I'm flitting between the different recommendations I've had, and also wondering whether to just get something cheap and not worry too much about it, or get a relatively new one that'd make it one of the most expensive purchases I've ever made and then just plan on keeping it forever. Or maybe I should get an old car that I would never have been able to afford at the time? Was even looking at Audi TTs and BMW Z4s this morning :facepalm:

And then I keep thinking stuff like I've always liked a the VW Golf, so why not just get one? They might be overpriced, and they might not be as reliable as other cars, but if it's what I want then why not just get one?

Then I think about how many records I could buy, and how much of a waste of money it is. Do I even need a car? Maybe it'd be cheaper to just hire one every time I need to go anywhere...etc., etc., blah blah blah

Analysis paralysis, basically. :hmm:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  12. All serious motorists hate the Jazz, so let that hate flow Frank, let it flow and this time next year we’ll have you cruising around in a chrome-wrapped Q7:thumbs:

Chz, kebabking and mauvais like this.
  13. weltweit

I know that feeling.

Perhaps go back to what you do want

For me that would be 4 doors and a hatchback

A non diesel, & reasonable fuel use

Able to cruise at 80

reasonable reliability

Not too expensive road tax and tyre prices

Reasonable insurance costs

low to medium mileage

possibly 1 or 2 previous owners

MOT record verifies mileage

receipt for timing belt replacement

I expect I could think of some more

Fez909 likes this.
  14. weltweit

In your first post you said: Astra / Golf

Both are reasonable vehicles. A Golf will probably be more expensive and avoid the TDi diesels.

15. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

why is this a thing? lots of ads mention it

16. weltweit

The overhead camshaft(s) are driven from the crankshaft by a toothed belt, or a chain. The most common is a rubber belt. The belts don't last forever and they have to be replaced at given mileages. If they are not replaced and one fails it can be very expensive to repair the top of the engine or it can be prohibitively expensive, requiring a replacement engine.

So if you are looking at buying a car that has a belt it is wise to get evidence that the belt was replaced and a note on the invoice as to what mileage it was replaced at. It is common on many cars to also replace the water pump at the same time.

My Corsa does not have a belt, it has a chain. They do sometimes also go wrong but they don't usually. I don't know if a petrol Astra has a belt or a chain.

Fez909 likes this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Thanks. I have no clue about cars.

When I actually buy one, how do I know when my belt needs changing? Is that what they do at a service?

18. weltweit

The handbook should say at what mileage intervals the belt should be replaced, either that or a dealer will be able to tell you. But yes if you are getting your car serviced at a dealers they should let you know when it needs doing.

Say it is at 60,000 mile intervals, if you are looking at a car with 50,000 miles on it you will know you will have to pay to have the belt changed soon. And if you are looking at a car with 60,000+ miles on it they should either have replaced the belt and should be able to give you the invoice detailing it or you should be able to knock the cost of a belt replacement off the price of the car.

I don't remember exactly how much it costs to replace a belt, it probably depends on the car but my bet would be £250-£400

cybershot and Fez909 like this.
  19. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Thanks, man. Very, useful stuff to know this :)

20. UnderAnOpenSky

Some of them have a chain and they don't need changing like a belt. :)

21. UnderAnOpenSky

If I didn't have to carry stuff about, I'd blatantly buy a TT, Z4 or similar. Why wouldn't you. :D

Fez909 likes this.
  22. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

23. mauvais

That's a terrible idea.

Bahnhof Strasse, Fez909 and kebabking like this.
  24. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

25. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

My grand parents still give me a tenner "pocket money" when I go to visit them*...I wonder if that would stop if I turned up in that :D

*I've repeatedly asked/told them not to, btw! I'm not a sponge

OzT, Bahnhof Strasse and kebabking like this.
  26. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Fez909 likes this.
  27. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

It wasn't a serious consideration! But thanks :D

28. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Out of curiosity, why you thinking respray?

29. mauvais

How did they manage to only extract 145hp & 8.2s from 2 litres in 2007?

Is it just Gumtree's shit data?

30. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

It's all down to Brexit related inflation :hmm: