Help choosing an IR webcam

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by fucthest8, May 20, 2019.

1. fucthest8

fucthest8 What the zarking fardwark was that?

Hopefully one of you photographers has some experience. :)

I'm looking for something to film wildlife in my garden, specifically what I suspect is a female hedgehog (Def hedgehog, suspect female). Suspect it will be out of range of my wi-fi, so I guess it needs to be

Motion sensitive
    IR
    Record onto an SD card or something

Also not a gazillion pounds.

As you can tell, I've got zero knowledge, so all help gratefully received. Ta.

2. prunus

prunus Mostly gone

I’ve got one of these

<deleted>

Actually one of these:

LTL-Acorn 5310A Trail Camera

And find it works very well - passive IR for detection with active IR illumination (and full colour in daylight of course). I think it’ll have to be quite close to detect something as small as a hedgehog, even on high sensitivity.

The people at that site though are very knowledgable and helpful, so I’d just ask them what they’d recommend.

Edit: posted wrong link...

fucthest8 likes this.
  3. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

fucthest8 likes this.
  4. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

fucthest8 likes this.
  5. abe11825

abe11825 Like to take a cement fix

It seems like the trail cameras are “all the rage” these days. GoPro has faded away as the camera to do everything with, and trail cameras are the best bet for wildlife shots.

I did see an article about using a GoPro but since you don’t have a motion detector option in it, it’s “not the best idea” because you’ve got to adjust the settings and constantly loop it. So you can lose possible picture / video.

Good luck.

fucthest8 likes this.
  6. fucthest8

fucthest8 What the zarking fardwark was that?

Cool, cheers people. I just assumed Trail Cameras would be well expensive, but that £40 one that LL posted looks like it'll do

7. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I got an OK one last month but no idea what it is. So far I've caught deer in the garden a couple of times. Mostly it's just cats and pigeons that trigger it.

It's good fun trying to get a decent pic or vid. If I ever manage to get one I'll post it up!