Helicopter in New York

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by Billy Hunt, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt New Member

Going to New York for the first time in October and want to do a cheesy helicopter ride around ESB, Liberty etc.

Has anyone done this before?

Recommendations - things to avoid etc.

(Please be nice it's my first thread)

2. editor

editor hiraethified

It's pretty expensive - you may want to try the boat trip round Manhattan instead (from east mid town) - it's fantastic!

3. t0bytoo

t0bytoo Well-Known Member

About the helicopter crashes - not intended to be scaremongering.

I mentioned it cause I was very surprised that there were two incidents in a week.

4. editor

editor hiraethified

Err, only one of them was a tourist helicopter and such crashes are very, very rare.

I can't see what useful point you're trying to make here past needless scaremongering.

5. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt New Member

I would have thought that given the dozens of helicopter trips that take place every day, 2 crashes over a period of x years is actually pretty good.

I would not, for example, not travel on the M25 (if I wanted to) just because there are crashes on it on a daily basis.

6. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

Yeah, I did this with the missus back in 2000, it was unforgettable.

Expect to pay around £70 - I forget what that was in dollars, and the best place to go is one of the piers near Battery Park, they have a six seater and it goes up as far as Central Park, then loops round back to the Statue of Liberty... oh you'll love it... sure it's expensive, but so's a gram of charlie, and you'll have far better memories of the helicopter experience than of hoovering up a load of gak crystals that men, women and children probably died for during the export/import process...

7. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt New Member

Thanks. I'm going with my wife and children so it will be £70 x 4. £280 for what - 10 or 12 minutes :eek:

Expensive but the experience of a lifetime!

{insert clever and witty comment about drugs}

8. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

Naaa, I'm sure if you chat to the helicopter chaps you can get a family discount.

9. Jessiedog

Jessiedog Keeping the faith.

Wot?

A good deal on a quarter ounce or summat?

;)

Woof

10. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

hmmm.....not quite eco-tourism

11. t0bytoo

t0bytoo Well-Known Member

Agreed. My comment was pointless.

While you're in the market for views... I recommend the roof of the Met. It's open most of the summer, I think. There's a bar and a great view of Central Park. You're literally at the same height of the tops of the trees.