Heathrow Airspace and Future Operations Consultation

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by SheilaNaGig, Jan 11, 2019.

1. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

So even if the third runway doesn’t actually happen (although of course it will...) Heathrow are redesigning their airspace. That’s actually *our* airspace, the air above our heads even at some fair distance from the airport.

I’m under the flight path here in Brixton and I definitely notice changes caused by wind direction, public holidays and so forth.

So we’re all invited to be a part of the consultation process. I’m not so naive as to assume it will really make a difference, but I’m also not so foolish as to ignore this opportunity to have some kind of input.

They’re asking each community to make them aware of things that they may otherwise overlook or not be aware of. London is big, complex, and filled with small detail, so I reckon it’s a decent idea of theirs to invite us to point out stuff if we can.

Same as voting: if I’m not a part of the conversation, then I don’t have a voice.

Here’s their website.

https://feedback.heathrowconsultation.com/step/topic/1

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. SheilaNaGig

3. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

I'm under one of the Berkshire bits. I had something through the door this week.

Suppose I ought to try and make sense of it all, although not sure any consultation will come up with any response other than 'tough, we're doing it anyway'

Unless I happen to be on a straight line that would cross windsor castle or something like that...

yield likes this.
  4. SheilaNaGig

This is the actual consultation paperwork.

https://afo.heathrowconsultation.co...Consultation-Booklet-Update-1-AW-LR-pages.pdf

It sets out the proposals and intended changes and asks specific question, for example “would you prefer to have noise respite for shorter but more frequent time slots of 4-5 hours, or would you prefer longer noise respite that changes by the day?”

Personally, I’d like to have the full day off.

5. SheilaNaGig

Well yer, that.

But having taken part in a couple of local consultations I was surprised to find that some of the input made by actual people did make a big difference. So I decided to have a look at this leaflet.

These things are dull, and they feel like our own opinion won’t make a difference or have any relevance. That’s why I started this thread: to maybe have a chat with others about it and try to make some sense of it all.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. SheilaNaGig

Reading though the document is actually quite interesting. The planes overhead have been part of my background noise my entire life. Like the traffic, the birds, the sirens; when I was a child the underground ran close enough to the house that I could feel it under my bed at night. Some of the stuff in this document is filling in the facts and information. Like naming the birds, or learning that it wasn’t a deep creature rumbling in its sleep under my bedroom floor but a train.

eatmorecheese likes this.
  7. NoXion

NoXion It's been 600 years...

I got one of those consultation pamphlet thingies as well. Am I unusual for honestly not giving a shit either way? I've been living near Heathrow for about nine or ten years now. I might notice the occasional low-flying plane, but otherwise it seems my brain has become exceedingly efficient at tuning them out.

I don't think I'd really notice, unless they're gonna bring back the Concorde. That would be cool.

kebabking likes this.
  8. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Out here in Sutton we also received the leaflet, even though the nearest 'Consultation event' for us is over in Wimbledon!

Of course the Heathrow flight paths over GL mean that this is not just a West London issue; this blog post from HACAN (Heathrow Association for the Control of Aircraft Noise) gives a useful map of flight paths over South & South East London (as well as the North & East) for prevailing wind days (Westerlies) and shows why HACAN get so many enquiries from the SE of GL.

[​IMG]

yield likes this.
  9. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Having lived in Hounslow, Richmond and now Twickenham I'm fully aware how hilariously shit Heathrow 'consultations' are. I remember 5 or so years ago they were trying some different routes and if you listen carefully you can still hear the howls from the well healed residents of Virginia Water and the Wentworth Estate.

But its all OK now that they have these super duper new planes that don't make any noise and hardly pollute at all. I don't know why anyone would be concerned in the slightest. Heathrow has a long and proud record of honesty and general trustworthiness.

10. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Coming from.Hounslow, I know that the people most effected by noise and air pollution are those most likely to depend on Heathrow for their salary

11. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Yes. So far so obvious.

Not sure what it has to do with consultations on new flight paths.

12. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Not really so in the areas shown in green on the map above. I don't think Heathrow employment benefits are strong in the S & N East of GL tbh.