"Healthcare" in the US

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Yuwipi Woman, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I've read parts of the Congressional Budget Office report on the new proposal for Trumpcare. It's a disaster for anyone making less than $50K a year, or, who is over 50. (I'm both.) A 60 year-old person who makes $26,000 a year could end up paying more than half their income in premiums. Or, more likely, lose access to health care entirely.

The latest numbers I've seen suggest that 24,000 people will die from this law than would have died without it. That's in addition to the 20,000 people who die from lack of access to care currently.

In other words, lack of access to care will kill more people than are murdered by firearms in US:

The GOP plan for Obamacare could kill more people each year than gun homicides

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Mab, Nigel and CRI like this.
  3. Yuwipi Woman

It's even worse than that. The bill repeals any funding for Planned Parenthood. When Texas did that a couple of years ago, their maternal death rate doubled:

Maternal deaths down globally, up in US, double in Texas - CNN.com

4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Depressing. It's so sad to see such a great country with such draconian leadership in charge of the healthcare of its poor.

scifisam, Mab, BitterPill and 5 others like this.
  5. Yuwipi Woman

We can do so much better than this. :(

6. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

It's grim. Just what is wrong with the right wing fuckwit politicians in the US?

Nigel likes this.
  7. Yuwipi Woman

Mab, Nigel, CRI and 2 others like this.
  8. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Mab, Nigel and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  9. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

stuff_it likes this.
  10. coley

coley Well-Known Member

No, most here have grown up with a decent expectation of health care and we can distance that expectation from fears of having our rights to such healthcare as opposed to the rights to accumulate large stocks of military grade hardware to defend our rights to be exploited by money grabbing health care insurers.
    "I might die of of corporation induced pollution and exploitation, but I die with the right to have a gun in my hand, that's what makes " America great"
    Sad, so sad.

likesfish, a_chap and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  11. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Too bad some of those Trumpazoids have voted for their own deaths.

Mab likes this.
  12. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

It seems like some of those voters would literally rather die than see more health care benefits go to people - especially black people - that they deem undeserving. Though it's generally a different story once they pass 65 and anybody suggests cutting Medicare benefits.

Mab, coley, CRI and 1 other person like this.
  13. flintstone

flintstone New Member

[​IMG]

The Shocking Verdict on Trumpcare

"The blows of Trumpcare hit hard and hit early. By 2018 alone, "14 million more people would be uninsured," compared to continuing Obamacare, according to the CBO report. By 2020, Trumpcare would reverse all the progress the country has made in expanding insurance under Obamacare – stripping 21 million of coverage. But Trumpcare isn't done. By 2026, the damage swells to 24 million. That's like kicking every man, woman and child in the state of Texas off America's insurance rolls."

not-bono-ever and a_chap like this.
  14. Yuwipi Woman

Idris2002 likes this.
  15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

They're not trying to help people and failing, they're trying to fuck people over and succeeding. Calling them all fuckwits is far too kind.

16. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

17. coley

coley Well-Known Member

18. Yuwipi Woman

a_chap likes this.
  19. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

That's just freedom of speech, no?

20. Yuwipi Woman

If I went to a senator and offered him cash in exchange for a vote, I'd get arrested. I don't see a difference when instead of being paid in cash, its paid into a political slush fund that reelection campaign funds have become. Once the election is over, the senator has the option of putting the excess in their own pocket. There should at least be a limit on how much payola you can throw their way, otherwise its just oligarchy.

Its the blatant exchange of the vote in exchange for money that I have the issue with. If it were merely a reasonable contribution for general agreement on issues, then I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    stuff_it, equationgirl and a_chap like this.
  21. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

What is the real world situation for those without insurance - are people literally dying on the streets in anytown USA?

22. Yuwipi Woman

I don't know about "on the streets", but people do die from treatable illnesses because they don't have insurance. I've seen it happen to people I know. They've all had a roof over their heads, but only made $7.25 to $9.00 an hour. Or, they were unemployed, but couldn't afford paying for COBRA (insurance for those between jobs).

CRI likes this.
  23. Yuwipi Woman

[​IMG]

Our elected officials discussing women's health care.

stuff_it, Artaxerxes, CRI and 3 others like this.
  24. petee

petee i'm spartacus

i think this is right, which is why that question "what's the matter with kansas" is misplaced. such voters know exactly what they're doing, elevating themselves morally, as they think, "see me, I'm willing to stand or fall on my own efforts" and trying to force others do the same. i could bang on about this but am on fone.

Mab and CRI like this.
  25. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

26. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

No wonder they all look so uncomfortable. :facepalm: FFS!

Nylock likes this.
  27. Yuwipi Woman

Bernie Sanders, Top Progressives Announce New 'Medicare For All' Push | The Huffington Post

They should at least get the arguement into the mix. No one has really asked for what a lot of people would really like to see. It's been a disaster for the left (or what passes for it in the US) to pretend to be "Republicans lite" on this and other issues. In any choice between real Republicans and "lite" version, the voters are going to choose the Republicans.

You're going to get blamed for whatever they want to throw at you. You might as well get blamed for something you've really said or done.

CRI and Yossarian like this.
  28. Yuwipi Woman

Kansas Senate votes to expand Medicaid

I'm sure Brownback will veto it. He's what's the matter with Kansas. Given the margin of the votes, there's a chance they can override the veto.

Mab likes this.
  29. damnNAFTA

damnNAFTA Well-Known Member

Former Obama Aide Who Helped Kill Single-Payer in the ACA Solicits Donations for Sick Friend's GoFundMe Page (bolding above mine)