Have you ever chucked an item for no longer being fashionable?

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Cloo, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

In the 70s, mebbe

2. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

I give you one thing, your dodgy suit is tame compared to 70's horrendous fashions, there is a reason 3 star jumpers and high waist looms have never come back into vogue.

Orang Utan likes this.
  3. Orang Utan

thing is, cos it's made from crimplene, it will outlast anything else I have in my closet

alan_ likes this.
  4. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

Just Alison Ward. She was stuck in the 80s.

5. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

LOL, crimplene, fucking hell man, that's a proper 70's material, wipe clean clothing, made out of the same material as a plastic tablecloth. :p

6. Orang Utan

This is the logo on the inside pocket:
    ICI_Logo.jpg

7. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

The famous French fashion house, Ici. :thumbs:

Cloo, Puddy_Tat and Orang Utan like this.
  8. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

LOL, Made in Middlesbrough I surmise?

Good for chemical spills though.

9. Orang Utan

10. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

If I threw out everything that fashionistas deem unfashionable I’d have no clothes left. I’ve been advised to get rid of certain items on the basis that they’re outdated but usually the people doing the advising are people whose opinions I’m indifferent to.

If I like it, it fits, and it’s not falling to bits, I’ll wear it.

bubblesmcgrath and snadge like this.
  11. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

12. Orang Utan

Probably never as I doubt I'll be thin enough again

13. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Yeah, I might have a had a few of those. Definitely some clubbing stuff that went as I didn't go out enough to justify it.

14. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

milehp

15. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Nope, never.

16. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I’ve put so much in black bags this week to go to the charity shop. Jeans that have too much of a crotch drop. Jumpers with too many rips, t-shirts that show too much neck.

17. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

I've just filled a bag with clothes that are too far off trend to wear anymore. I normally buy classic rather than fashion so I get a lot of wear out of things. My dinner suit, for example, is totally wearable, and is ten years old. The same with my Boss suit. It cost a fortune to buy and to have finished, but, at ten years old, it's still very usable. This is my norm. But even then some things do date. These are disposed of.

18. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I throw clothes out when they literally fall apart :D

petee and gentlegreen like this.
  19. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I don't think any of my clothes would be considered fashionable. I have thrown out stuff that makes me feel too frumpy though.

20. petee

petee i'm spartacus

no, never. i tend to wear things until they fall to bits, then toss them in the fabric recycling, which is nearby on saturday morns.

21. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I just give them to one of the staff in lieu of a Christmas bonus. Watching their pinched face light up in gratitude is reward enough.

22. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

I'm wearing my EMF t-shirt today but I wouldn't ever claim it was fashionable or stylish. The moth holes add some gravitas, though.

23. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

I have clothes that are over 50 yrs old.
    I hate throwing clothes out...and have regularly rescued clothes that female relatives were about to ditch or give to charity shops.
    Some of the clothes I've rescued dont fit and will never be worn by me...but they are so nice I dont want to see them dumped.
    I have jeans going back to the 70s...coats of all descriptions and materials from the 30s up to the present day....3 vintage mink coats that are in perfect condition and believe me they are the warmest things I've ever used...mind you I've not worn them but I have thrown one over me back in 2011 when it was freezing cold indoors. Is it bad to keep them? They're from 1930 up to 1975 so definitely vintage ...
    Older clothing was very well made. No doubt about that...and they fit better too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  24. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I saw a man in Kings X dressed like that recently :hmm: he was an art student though so he is being edgy :hmm:

25. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

I no longer have any bootcut trousers in the wardrobe, or any floral shirts.

Cloo and Yu_Gi_Oh like this.
  26. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Where have all the flowers gone? Down the charity shop :(

27. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Grief no - there is a hierarchy of use...and only after I have worn an item to rags, they end up as dishcloths (slightly stained T-shirts) floorcloths (old knickers) or workshop rags (everything else).