1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Havant & Waterlooville vs Dulwich Hamlet, Saturday 1st April 2017, 15.00

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Noss, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

For those not on the charabanc, you'll be pleased to know that there are no direct trains to Havant from Waterloo (normal journey: 1 hour 20 minutes), but there are Southern trains from Victoria via Clapham Junction, East Croydon and Crawley (1 hour 40 minutes).

The ground is about one mile north of the station, and you can get a 20 or 21 bus straight to the ground.

Pub-wise, most decent places appear to be to the south of the station, so might try there and hop on a bus. There is a Hungry Horse pub called the Heron almost next to the ground which sounds depressing but I have no doubt I will end up in there. Clubhouse sounds fine.

And finally, their forum has an FAQ for visiting fans: havantandwaterlooville.net forums • View topic - Visiting Fan FAQs

It's another £12 club!!

2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

A point or three likely to deliver a well deserved title to Bognor.

I hope you appreciate it lads!

Especially since we gave you four and took 3 off Havant already.

#theirtop9performance #yadayada

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Cyclodunc likes this.
  3. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I'll be going direct from landing at Gatwick

4. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Why don't you land at Southampton Airport instead? It's closer.

5. clog

clog have that you c

I have a dilemma now. Wasn't going to go but am now considering it. Noss what train are you guys getting?

6. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

I'm guessing 11.12 from Clapham Junction (= 11.23 from East Croydon), arrives 12.46.

Blitzwalker and clog like this.
  7. Pink Panther

From memory it's about 15 mins walk from the station and the terrain is flat, so no real need to get a bus unless you don't have great mobility or are in a hurry! No current Good Beer Guide entries, although a couple have been in during the past year or two. Old House at Home is one, in the main street south of the station - it's a Fullers (ex-Gales) house, as are many in this neck of the woods, so should be reliable enough for beer quality.

Blitzwalker, Noss and clog like this.
  8. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I'm in, will be on the rails with Noss of this parish plus anyone else who cares to join. I'm happy to walk the short distance from station and/or pub as in training for the 'Great Trek' in April to Wingate & Finchley!

Noss and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  9. YTC

YTC Human Man

on't train. Looking forward to this one.

10. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

In for this one I think.

11. Jules P

Jules P #noprestonnoparty

12. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

13. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Proper breakfast then on train with a group saver x3

14. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

I'm planning to come to this one. It's quite an easy drive from Oxford.

15. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

See you there, whoever you are!! ;)

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

i can't make this one as I'm out on a mini tour, but I would be most obliged if someone could grab some shots of the action/divots/bits of wood/condiment table etc.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  17. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Fucking referee.

PartisanDulwich, Cyclodunc and Nivag like this.
  18. Cyclodunc

Thought Dulwich looked decent in the first half, passing it around beautifully for spells, but they were a very solid, physical and organised side. Sekajja's goal was brilliantly executed. Goalkeeper seemed to anticipate the cross so Ibra smacked it in at his near post.

They had a number of great headed chances throughout that they failed to convert, and we weren't as strong in the second half. Didn't see the penalty as the crossbar was bang in my line of view.

Pink Panther and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  19. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

20. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

21. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

A tough afternoon. They were a good side and if it's them and Bognor that go up, then that's fair enough. As Scolly said they are big and strong and well organised. It's not entirely unsurprising either - while they obviously don't have the ludicrous sums of money that Billericash have, they can't be short of a few bob if they managed to prize Jason Prior from Bognor and former pro's James Hayter and Wes Fogden are in their ranks.

I've got to give a special mention to their no. 10 as well, who scored an exceptional header for their first goal and generally ran us ragged for the majority of the game. I haven't seen a player occupy Kargbo as much as he did yesterday. And while his goal record against us is the source of much sniggering (rightly so), I thought Prior played well too despite missing a few headers. His aerial dominance is incredible and he's got real presence up front.

Sekajja's goal was excellent and it's great to see him playing so well at the moment. He chases lost causes and works the defenders so hard.

I thought we looked a bit tired yesterday. Tomlin was peripheral, Carew's flicks were laboured and Green didn't bulldoze his way down the left flank as much as usual. It's understandable given our schedule and the strength of the opposition we've faced, but it means the game against those tossbags on Tuesday is now quite important.

AndyF, Pink Panther, Lucy Fur and 6 others like this.
  22. Pink Panther

I felt we defended very well against probably the best side in the division in terms of all-round strength. They're much more polished than Bi££ericay, and whilst they're fairly direct their passing is accurate and the delivery of crosses for headers is far more challenging.

Havant started better, but once Hamlet settled down I felt we largely bossed the rest of the first half, although Havant created the better chances with three headers from great crosses, two planted just wide and the third brilliantly saved by Edwards. Great finish by Sekajja who's been "literally on fire" recently: chased a through ball to the byline, turned inside and shaped to cross, then blasted a shot inside the keeper's near post from a really tight angle. We had them on the ropes for the short period that remained before half time, which came at just the wrong moment for us.

We then made one of our customary slow starts after the break and all the hard work in building our lead was wiped out within a couple of minutes. Carew conceded a senseless free kick on the halfway line, shoving an opponent in the back for no good reason right under the referee's nose. That gave then an easy opportunity to put us under pressure when there had been none; the free kick was played into a man on the corner of our box with his back to goal, Chambers got too tight to him and bumped him over from behind, which led to another free kick lofted into the box and a header placed beyond Edwards' reach. We rarely looked capable of regaining the lead, but our back three were impressive keeping Havant at bay without allowing them too many chances. Having got within five minutes of coming home with a hard-earned point Green tangled with an opponent running the ball along the byline. From 100 yards away it looked like one of those where both players are pushing and pulling at each other and it's hard to tell who fouled whom first, and the free kick usually goes to the defender or the attack is allowed to fizzle out, but this time we got penalised and the penalty kick gave Edwards no chance.

Team : (3-4-1-2): Edwards - Weatherstone, Drage, Chambers - Ming, Kargbo, Beaney(c), Green - Carew - Tmomlin, Sekajja. Subs: Akinyemi (for Tomlin), Dumaka (for Carew), Koroma (for Ming), Taylor, Mascoll (not used). Att.859

It's hard to say whether we're "tired" or it was just more difficult that usual due to the strength of opposition. It's certainly been a tough schedule to play Havant and Bi££ericay twice each in the space of eleven days, and splitting the points with each of them suggests we're on a par with both in terms of both personnel and as a unit.

Our next five games are all against mid-table or struggling sides before we visit Wingate & Finchley, who are still in contention for a play-off place at the moment but my not be by that stage.

jnrknight, AndyF and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  23. AndyF

AndyF DHFC Beer Aficionado

I didn't think it was a pen and 50/50 at best. They were very decent and a lovely club to boot. Hope they beat Bognor and go up as Champions.

Pink Panther and Noss like this.
  24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Did we win?

25. AndyF

AndyF DHFC Beer Aficionado

Off the pitch maybe. I want them to go up. On their forum they gave us a lot of credit.

B.I.G likes this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I had a nap in their car park #winning

YTC and Cyclodunc like this.
  27. Cyclodunc

Andy, you repeatedly assured me we would win during the first half. Fake news. So sad.

Nivag, AndyF, pompeydunc and 2 others like this.
  28. YTC

YTC Human Man

'Too many sherberts?'

B.I.G likes this.
  29. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Don't remember. I meant the playoffs.

30. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

No less. It was from belize though. Gonna get it again.

jnrknight and YTC like this.