Hastings declared "the Shoreditch of Sussex and the UK’s New Art Hotspot"

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Mar 19, 2014.

1. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Hmm - I'm not sure I'd move down here without kids. I never go out in the evenings anyway so it makes no odds really.
    I've not found that difficult. What I have found is that coming back to London, I really, really find the sheer volume of people quite a headfuck now which seems to me to be an indication that it's quite hard to live in such a crush and you develop (and lose) a carapace quite quickly to deal with it.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of rising property prices, we (and Hastings) need people moving in. We need their money and their enthusiasm. Because propping up the local economy by housing all London's asylum seekers and foster children here is a disaster waiting to happen.

2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Ive been to Hastings just last month and Shoreditch it aint. It still feels broke, and its still got a skag problem. have heard it said it has the the highest ratio of drug dealers to pubs in the UK.
    But true, Londoners have been moving down there a lot more in the last decade - I know two ex-London couples down there and another are looking there at the moment... All the people I know there work in some way remotely or travel for work. Its too impossible to commute into London and there isnt the economy there to really sustain lots of new people. Artists might eek out an existence but its not really getting gentrified in the way Shoreditch has. Not for a long time yet - if ever.
    I think property hype articles like this are best ignored and not given the oxygen to fill more bubbles.

Miss-Shelf and trashpony like this.
  3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

ive spent a bit of time in proper isolated Scotland and after that even going into a village can feel a head fuck, never mind a small town like Fort William! Its all relative....

trashpony likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Chunk of money spent on the station , and increasingly desperate efforts by the MP (who is rather well know , with a very small majority) , very, very keen on reducing the commute to London to save the day. Regret to say , little chance , - they wanted to link it into HS1. Anything possible , but not with the finances of both Network Rail and the Treasury ...

6. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

There's a big problem locally with crack and heroin, being dealt by gangs from London.