1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony Bar (Mingles/ George) on Railton Road up for sale

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Choc, Mar 11, 2007.

1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

That To Let / "To Let" sign has never been taken down since Antic's purchase.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think it's going to struggle to ever open as a pub again,let alone a late one. The residents (or at least the more vociferous ones) seem dead against it, and the pub's biggest champion (hatboy) has sadly now left the neighbourhood.

3. eroom

eroom Well-Known Member

It's a tricky one.

I too have some fond memories of it as the Harmony Bar, but i can quite see why people in the adjoining buildings are so set against having a late night (as they all are now) boozer on their doorstep again.

And of course that building is so freighted with significance anyway - if you talk to older residents there are plenty who remember the bad old days of the George.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

'Post-riot'... I like that. Only second best to 'post-zombie apocalypse'.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the full press release, Get your barf bags ready:

7. Chilavert

Chilavert Undermining strikes :-(

Top, top sneery Brixton Buzz article there. :thumbs:

Tricky Skills and editor like this.
  8. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Well the neighbours did effectively prevent it from being reopened as a pub a couple of times, and there's very little market for any more shops around there...

Terrible press release though.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Big market for affordable housing though.

Gramsci and colacubes like this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That press release was so far up its own arse, I had to say something. Mind you, compared to my first draft, the posted version is incredibly polite!

11. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

How did Lambeth get their hands on it? I thought it belonged to Antic?

I never understood why Antic was unable to open a pub there - it has established use.:confused:

12. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

That is the most cringeworthily awful press release I have had the misfortune of reading in my entire life.

Jesus fucking wept :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

13. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Yes, I didn't say otherwise. However there's a bigger market for private 'luxury' flats.

14. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The last incarnation was terrible at keeping to its license; late night noise, some anti social behaviour etc. etc.

15. Rushy

I'd have thought a revoked licence is far more "overcomable" than planning -particularly by a chain known for being fairly gastro pubby in many of its incarnations.

16. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Any idea how big it will be (how many units and if theyre making the block bigger)?

17. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Plus a Point of Order: What 2012 riots? Weren't we all in a happy happy joy joy Olympic mood during the summer of 2012?

ddraig, hendo, Gramsci and 1 other person like this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How is the pub "damaged" by the way?

19. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Still, they did spell the verb 'breathe' correctly - unlike the Buzz article!

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A PM pointing out the small typo would have been nicer, but anyway, it's changed. We don't have proof readers at B Buzz what with all of us doing it for nothing, you see.

Gramsci and Tricky Skills like this.
  21. leanderman

Really? You have been very lucky!

22. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

editor likes this.
  23. el-ahrairah

a good question. i'm pretty sure that it is absolutely not damaged in ay significant way.

24. el-ahrairah

also, the idea that it's post-riot because the pub that originally existed on the site was burnt down for being racist back in 1981... as if somehow the successful long-term running of a well beloved community bar can be ignored because of something that happened 33 years ago. did the afro-carribean community somehow not count as life?

don;t answer that. the answer is that they don't.

ddraig likes this.
  25. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

That press release is so absurd it wouldn't be out of place on the pages of Private Eye as a satirical piece. I'd love to know who penned it, out of morbid curiosity. Was it an over enthusiastic early-20s Hoxton media type? Or simply a Thatcherite Tory cunt?

ddraig and Gramsci like this.
  26. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

They missed an apostrophe in council's though.

leanderman likes this.
  27. leanderman

Ring them, find out. I agree it was quite ridiculous.

28. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I am assuming that Sorrel mean dealing with the planners when they say "partnering".

CH1 likes this.
  29. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Antic wanted to redevelop the site with a lot of flats and bar on ground floor. There original plans were knocked back due to poor design they were proposing.

Rushy likes this.
  30. Rushy

Yep - totally unclear. Sounds like guff.

Gramsci likes this.