Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hardess St Industrial Estate - next bit of LJ up for redevelopment?

Gramsci

It could be that Metaphorm are pushing ahead with planning application as they expect it to go to appeal.

That is the Planning dept wil tun the application down. Or if it goes to Planning Committee it will be turned down.

Herne Hill Cllrs are going to oppose it as far as I know.

Metaphorm , Ive heard , have got financial backing for the scheme.

If it goes to appeal its out of the Councils hands.

DJWrongspeed

radio eros
i agree that'd you need more Thameslink trains to cope with the demand there. Aren't they just going for 29 floors to get eventually 20. It ticks the boxes in terms of building where transport links are and London needs houses but I just don't think the Herne Hill nimbys will allow it. It's a flat cycle commute into the city and walking distance to the tube. So long as it only has disable parking i'm broadly in favour.

Gramsci

Started reading the "design and access statement" on the planning website.

This is the easiest way to learn more about the application. The applicants justification and reasoning.

Annoyingly its spread over 19 separate pdfs of 10 pages each. Most irritating.

At end is detail on the consultation and pre application work the developer has done.

On public consultation they put what they say were the findings of the public consultation. That out of the three alternative ideas for the site the towers were the ones that people went for.

They leave out the findings of the second public consultation. I can't find them so far. Could be when faced with the results they decided not to use that in the planning application.

I went to both. At seond I heard a lot of people raise concerns of the height of the towers. I dont think at first meeting the heights were given.

The pre application process with GLA and Lambeth Planning has bee extensive.

Im getting concerned about pre application process. As I saw with the Hero of Switzerland application by the time it went to committee officers were supporting the application more than the developers.

Pre application process has limited requirements for public consultation.

Metaphorm say they have consulted local community groups like Herne Hill Society and LJAG. But only in a limited way at start of process.

DJWrongspeed

radio eros
With the exception of the provision of 5 on-site blue badge parking bays located on Wellfit Street, the development is proposed to be car-free, encompassing both the future residents and employees, justified by the site’s public transport accessibility and accessibility to social infrastructure.
Well this is to be welcomed. So no basement of mass parking thankfully.

Gramsci

Well this is to be welcomed. So no basement of mass parking thankfully.
This is standard for new developments. Its part of the planning guidelines that developers cant get out of. So not down to the architects. Its to discourage car use and ownership. Residents wont be able to get onstreet parking permits either.

teuchter

je suis teuchter
It would have quite considerable impact on the short row of terraced houses on hinton rd, as well as the ones along the north side of wanless rd. As far as I know, those flats along wanless rd are social housing. All those properties and their gardens will suddenly have a large number of flats looking down upon them. And I imagine will cut a significant part of their daylight out (that is, the amount of sky they see, not direct sunlight, although that would also be affected in the evenings).

But it seems that this kind of thing is no longer as big a deal as it would have been considered 10-20 years ago. I'm pretty sure that 10-20 years ago 4 or 5 storeys would have been the max for this site. Likewise any consideration of density. The new london plan effectively says anything goes, based only on a subjective assessment of impact on local amenity. The council will say they've assessed it to be acceptable, and it's harder to make an argument against that than it is if there are guideline densities to be adhered to. We've seen on the hero of Switzerland and higgs sites that the london plan "density matrix" which gives figures can basically be completely ignored.