Handsworth self portrait community photos from 70s

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by dweller, Mar 17, 2019.

1. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I liked the self portraits, it looked like a fun project.

I couldn't work out though, the set up that they showed in the street had a join between the white background and the white base which would have shown in the photos, yet all the photos appear to have had a roll of white as a backdrop with no visible join?

3. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

This was very similar to a project I was involved with when I was studying photography at the LCP in 1975. We clicked the shutter, but we didn't tell the people how they should pose. Here's a link to the photos I took: Elephant & Castle Portraits

4. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Wow that’s absolutely fascinating. Two years before I was born, just down the road. They really bring the past to life somehow. (And so white :eek:)

RoyReed likes this.
  5. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I was one of six photographers working on this project, so this is about 20% of the photos taken. There are only three black faces in my set (two young men and a baby), but I do remember seeing more in some of the other work. I don't remember thinking it was particularly disproportionate for the area at that time.

dweller likes this.
  6. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

Thanks for sharing these, they are wonderful.

RoyReed likes this.