1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hammer-wielding moped gang thwarted by lorry driver in London

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:54 PM.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good work driver!

Grainy footage here:
    Moped gang thwarted by lorry driver

shygirl, A380, krtek a houby and 5 others like this.
  2. Silas Loom

Silas Loom Mum's primitive, acidic pear crumble (7,7)

on their own mopeds

:hmm:

3. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

A lot of them about in Islington and Camden. Heard a few accounts of phone snatches at bus stops. Is it the same south of the river?

4. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

We defend hearth and home here.

Maharani and YouSir like this.
  5. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

My office is on Fitzroy Street and we saw this happening. There seems to be a lot moped bag and phone snatches around here recently. I've witnessed 3 in the last week.

Well done lorry driver and everyone else who helped stop them

WouldBe and marty21 like this.
  6. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I've seen them riding around here on the north side of the river a fair bit, day and night, but not seen any crimes, I thought they tended to ride into Town/the West End for that kind of shit. They tend to nick mopeds off the delivery drivers, who are often slaves to the gig economy and already facing a lot of hardship. They need stepping on pretty hard, can't be that difficult to track down where these bikes are being taken and stored.

dweller and sealion like this.
  7. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

8. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Moped crime is rife in SE19. I think there's an issue about the police not being able to give chase safely. I suspect this is partly responsible for my motorbike insurance going up by £100 this year.

A380 likes this.
  9. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I was at Angel tube last week and there are signs everywhere saying watch out for moped thefts. 300 phone thefts a month in the area. I was there about 9am and there were loads of police about, very visible presence

10. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel "Broadsword calling Danny Boy"

These jokers need a good slapping

They do it different in China

dweller, DexterTCN, likesfish and 8 others like this.
  11. Casual Observer

Casual Observer Well-Known Member

I'm liking how the voice over is in Mandarin but at 46 seconds it sounds like he says 'he fucked up'.

crossthebreeze and imposs1904 like this.
  12. spitfire

spitfire scouting party

Yes, I work in Highgate and drive up and down Holloway road every day to/from Bethnal Green. They've been conspicuous all summer.

Just last week there were 2 phones taken, 1 cafe window smashed (laptop taken) and another guy chased a bloke around the local deli with a knife for having the temerity to ask him to take his tea off a parked car, he escaped on a stolen moped. Also saw a guy stash a pair of tracksuit trousers in a hedge off the back of a moped, they'd clearly been up to nefarious deeds but the trousers didn't have anything in them or on them so wasn't much we could do. I could go on, I've seen and heard of more.

Moped gang smashes through Highgate cafe window to rob terrified customers

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 9:08 PM
  13. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

Give all lorry drivers guns and they could fight back against these moped thieves even when they are out of their lorry

This post was brought to you by the NRA :thumbs:

likesfish likes this.
  14. spitfire

spitfire scouting party

I look forward to the day the mums of highgate are tooled up to the eyeballs and ready to despatch ne'erdowells forthwith!

Could see the school run getting a bit spicy though.

15. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Massive problem in Camden, Harringay and Islington at the moment. Scummy little fucks from Islington who are extending their reach and getting more bold by the week - now upgraded to brazenly snatching laptops from people in cafes. At least two in the past week, the one in the post above and another in Crouch End

Watch customers fight off moped robber who burst into Crouch End bar

Local police were spooked by the fallout from the little angle Henry Hicks and as a result have been on the back foot allowing these little shits to get over excited over the summer.

Hopefully a flash in the pan and the latest moral panic that gets extinguished soon, but there have already been people injured by these snatches and I've seen it happen more then once and known people to have it done to them. It's robbery pure and simple and people are getting quite shaken up by it.

16. spitfire

spitfire scouting party

Agreed Salem.

They're also at it in Hackney and Bethnal green, I saw a deliveroo driver getting done for his phone, unfortunately i was too far away and pointing in the wrong direction to help him.

They are horrible little cunts and drive like utter pricks to boot. Red light? What's that?

17. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Laptop charging cables are made of strong stuff in Crouch End! A few years ago I'd say it was Hornsey gangs but police really shut them down.

18. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

AFAIK all UK police have adopted the policy of not giving chase because of the risk to life, which the people in question are well aware of and thus exploit.

sealion likes this.
  19. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

It has never been the case that such a policy has been adopted; pursuits of mopeds / motorbikes are allowed provided the pursuit is proportionate to what they have done and the officer behind them has the appropriate level of training. Of course the level of risk is far higher for a moped rider than it is for someone in a car, especially when talking about tactics used against them (ie: stinging the tyres and/or tactical contact at low speed), so there will always be fewer pursuits of two wheeled vehicles.

A380 likes this.
  20. mauvais

There is an ongoing issue relating to the standards to which police drivers should be held. IIRC there was a recent-ish court case, unrelated to mopeds, from which this arose, whereby a precedent-setting standard was defined as the same as an ordinary civilian driver. This article mentions it but doesn't go into detail: Police risk prosecution over moped crime chases

When I have more time I'll try to be a bit more specific.

A380 likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A380 likes this.
  22. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

That case (if you are talking about this one) didn't establish a precedent - the Courts (almost) always only convict police drivers when their driving has actually been dangerous or careless in and of itself. I can see the Federation's point, but I do think that they are trying to oversimplify an issue (of how officers and staff are treated after a pursuit goes wrong) by calling for legal exemptions which would probably have zero positive and potentially serious negative implications.

DaveCinzano, A380 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  23. mauvais

I think, but I'm not sure, that it stems from R vs Bannister and then R v Holden and Houghton.

A380 likes this.
  24. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Is it the same people raiding Mapin and Webb and The Apple store as well as nicking phones? Seems unlikely.

25. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

And given that scooters are inherently unstable at slow speeds, would-be muggers can be dislodged from their hair-dryers, if your reactions are fast enough.

26. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

27. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I can understand having it away with a top-of-the-range Japanese superbike, or a Ducati or Moto Guzzi, even a Harley, but a mass-produced made-in-China moped/scooter? As the thief, you're going to get maybe a couple of hundred quid for a 250cc, maybe £50 for a 50cc. It's not enough to keep you in beer, so why the fuck would you risk getting nicked for something so paltry, unless you're planning some kind of scooter demolition derby?

coley and William of Walworth like this.
  28. They are piss easy to steal and piss easy to ride whilst committing crimes that earn decent wedge.

ViolentPanda and TopCat like this.
  29. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Perhaps the stolen scooters then get used in a smash-and-grab robbery. But even in that scenario they'd need to carry out the follow-up robbery as soon as. With all the ANRP cameras and police patrols, you wouldn't last that long in London on a bike that's been flagged as stolen.

I have certainly witnessed or experienced a big increase in such crime. In the past if your bike was nicked, unless it was high spec you had about 90% chance (according to the copper who told me) of getting it back as most thefts were kids joyriding then dumping the bike somewhere. I've experienced that myself once, and the bike wasn't even damaged.

But nowadays the majority of bike crime seems to be geared towards organised gangs nicking them to resell or use on other crimes. The perpetrators are far bolder as well. The other week there were three entrepreneurs openly trying to break a padlock with tools in full view of passers-by in the heart of Chelsea and in the middle of the day, not giving a flying fuck. I also saw a few months ago a chap deftly ride past a bus stop where a woman waiting for a bus was talking on her phone and grabbing it off her without even slowing down much.

A Deliveroo rider also told me to be wary of any bikes with two riders following you closely, as it has become a thing for thieves to jump bikers at traffic lights, with the pillion then nicking the bike and both cunts riding off.

ViolentPanda likes this.