Hamlet v Wingate & Finchley - Premier Division - Tuesday 23 January -

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Rescheduled league fixture at home to Wingate & Finchley this Tuesday evening. The attendance figure always dips in midweek, but get there and help the team turn it around after the last two disappointing results if you can. And we need those turnstiles clicking to keep funding the team too.

2. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

As well as spare change in the buckets please, if you are working and can afford to...

Blitzwalker and liamdhfc like this.
  3. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

See you there.

4. Pink Panther

Better still set up a standing order if you can, even if only £1 a week. Then you don't have to keep remembering to donate. I'm not ignoring those shaking the buckets at the final whistle, I'm firing a few pennies into the 12th Man fund by means of electronic communication.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  5. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

Will play it by ear as still lurgied.

6. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Good to get back to mid week action (under the lights I think the youngsters call it these days).

Anyone know if Reise is available for selection?

7. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

Should not be losing that. Had enough chances to put the game to bed before they equalised and certainly before the winner

8. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Gob smacked
    truly

no luck yet again and Ref gave us nothing

its the hope thats painful

bad defensive errors, against with respect, a very average W&F team

and again missed opportunities

even Reise didnt look happy (mind his shirt was being held for most of the game by W&F players)

Have to really dig in and get behind the boys (and Gavin)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Pink Panther likes this.
  9. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

Ref could hardly keep up with the game.

Apparently we were down to 10 (can't say I saw anyone walk) but even so a gutting result. Need a reaction Saturday

10. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I thought W&F pressed well in the first half but didn't seem like a threat up front.
    The sending off was the turning point though Dulwich didn't look like they were playing with 10 men.
    As said above, they should have scored a couple of goals, Reise looked like he was struggling most of the game.
    Nyren was unlucky not to get a penalty I'm the second half and almost scored when put through 1 on 1 but the defence got back well to put him off.
    As for their goals, well not the first we've let a goal in when hit on the break from a Dulwich set piece.
    No idea what happened for the 2nd goal, will wait for the DhfcTV to see that.
    Should have won the game or at least drawn it, making it easy for Billericay and the rest to catch-up.

11. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

the ref being shit had nothing to do us being useless second half and conceding two. We were lucky to go in at half time ahead to be fair... not that the majority of “fans” seem to care, just there for a cheap pint and a photo opportunity for Instagram

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Would you rather the crowd be made up of just 100 suitably 'hardcore' fans then?

Even if the 'majority' of the crowd were like you described (which they're not), they're all putting much needed money in the club's coffers and some will turn into lifelong fans.

We should be grateful that a night at the club is seen as Instagrammable, because, guess what? All those pictures get shared thousands and thousands of times, and that means a whole load of potential new fans may come along to the next game.

Ronco, Abanico, clog and 5 others like this.
  13. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

Absolutely not mate, the more the merrier and like you say the more money behind the bar the better to keep the club going. I concede that the word “majority,” was used wrongly, however it’s severely frustrating ‘a lot’ of people would rather sit in the bar or incessantly yap through the game rather than cheer the team on.

Not sure I agree with your last point though..... Pretty sure that a couple of dodgy pictures of Dulwich losing to Finchley midweek from Malcolm in the accounts department is going to inspire a new generation of fans or visitors.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So it wasn't a "photo opportunity for Instagram" after all, then? :confused:

clog likes this.
  15. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

To be fair, the days of a cheap pint are long gone... :-(

dcdulwich, editor, pompeydunc and 5 others like this.
  16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Who are you? Please let you be some random.

750 people there. Surely that is the hardcore fans. The longer anyone has been going Dulwich the more likely you are to spend the game talking. I certainly did, which annoyed Poids

What else was there to do?

clog and editor like this.
  17. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

18. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

That performance wasn't great. Agree the Ref was crap the only decision he got right was the sending off, you can't go in like that even in this league, Kargbo should know better and ultimately cost us the game. W&F wanted it more than us they were impressive in closing us down and not letting us settle into our normal passing game which I believe contributed to the sending off as our players were being closed down in the middle of the pitch resulting in poor touches and passes. We look tired and with Reise looking out of sorts lacked a cutting edge (he missed a sitter in the first half and in the 2nd half the Reise of two or three weeks ago wouldn't have passed to Nyren he would have gone straight in on goal). How long we hang onto Reise is anyone's guess (Mark Bright from Palace was there last night!) but we need to look at strengthening up top, funds permitting! 3 straight defeats could be a blip or something more serious the pack is closing!!!!

Nivag likes this.
  19. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

They are the one slagging. I don't give a shit. Just pointing out its ill thought out nonsense.

20. Dulwich Mishi

Three defeats...but...we were down to ten men last night, as has been mentioned on numerous occasions we have tow influential long-term injuries...and we are still second!

I also think, compared to other 'post-Christmas blips' in other seasons under Gavin, we do seem to be doing better as team, rather than 'rubbish' performances.

Things will turnaround...and you know what, if they don't...I couldn't really care where we finish, as long as we still have a Club to support next season!

tonysingh, Mark Baker and B.I.G like this.
  21. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

Lack of a proper centre forward was obvious last night, needed some height in there. A lot of disappointing crosses as well, lots of excellent play down the wing was wasted by over-hit crosses made without taking a look up first. Still had the lions share of the game just need to get that cutting edge back

22. Pink Panther

That was really hard to take. Only three defeats in the first 27 league matches, and now three in a row, each more agonising than the last. Can't complain about the sending off, it was a poor challenge for a 50/50 ball, overstretching with his foot too high and studs showing. Other than that it was one of those nights when everything somehow seemed to conspire against us. The first half had been pretty nondescript until the red card five minutes before half time. A couple of half chances for the visitors, a couple of those snapshots from the edge of the box from Allessani that were fizzing into the bottom corner of the net a few weeks ago, but not this time. Our best chances came midway through the half when a great run and cross by Ferguson was miscued in front of goal by Allessani, leading to a mad scramble in which a shot was blocked on the line and a header rebounded from the bar before the keeper flapped the ball away under pressure as the flag went up for offside. Then five minutes after the setback of Kargbo being sent off we took the lead on the stoke of half time, switching to a flat back four and pushing Clunis up front with Allassani while Ferguson dropped into the vacant midfield slot. A great pass out of the midfield from Carew released Clunis to the left of goal and his left foot shot beat the keeper and went in off the far post.

I felt we played with more purpose and urgency after losing a man and really should have extended the lead before the wheels came off in the final fifteen minutes. The visitors were made to look pretty ordinary but despite opening up their defence on several occasions with some incisive attacking play we couldn't find the target. The really turning point for me came after 70 minutes when another perfectly weighted long pass from Carew released Allessani on the left, and he squared the ball to Clunis who was completely wiped out by a defender lunging in from behind as he steadied himself to shoot. Anywhere else on the field and that's a free kick, if a forward does that on a defender inside the box it's a free kick and a card, but on this occasion nothing. Then came another crucial moment that made me despair. Just as he should have been preparing to pit his wits against the keeper from the penalty spot Carew was substituted. I'm not his greatest fan, I often wonder whether his pros outweigh the cons, but I felt he was excellent last night and provided a constant creative threat exploiting gaps in the visitors' defence as they were chasing the game, and of course any free kick within shooting range is a much better scoring opportunity if he's the one taking it. Defensive substitutions, dropping a bit deeper, we always seem to come unstuck whenever we adopt that approach. The equaliser was a sickening sucker punch. We'd just had them under the cosh when a long clearance down the middle eluded our centre backs allowing their centre forward to run clear and sidestep Edwards on the edge of the box before firing into an empty net with fifteen minutes to go. We still looked capable of snatching a winner, but Clunis wasted a great chance shooting wide at the near post after outpacing the defence. Then deep into stoppage time came the final blow as a cross fired in at the near post deflected into the net for an own goal.

Team (3-5-2): Edwards - Taylor, Hayles, Chambers - Clunis, Carew, Kargbo, Beaney(c), Green - Ferguson, Allassani. Subs: Onovwigun (for Carew), Boaky-Yiadom (for Allassani), Faal (for Beaney), Weatherstone, Ming (not used). Attendance: 742

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    clog, editor, pompeydunc and 3 others like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm all for opposition goalies getting interactive with the BantZ © but their keeper last night seemed in danger of extending his routine a little too far, I thought. At other grounds, he may have had some unwanted feedback.

Mark Baker likes this.
  24. Dulwich Mishi

Wasn't behind the goal...any clues?

25. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

Was giving the old calm down gestures after both of their goals, proceeded to ask "wheres the banter gone?" after the winner and said something about "i remember my first beer" (not sure what it was in response to). He made a few other comments as well that I didn't catch.

Nothing too ott but enough to get a reaction at other grounds for sure

editor likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A couple of comments on the strip: Wingate's hues of dark red complete with what looked like a fake tine in the centre was a horror and how on earth did the ref allow Preston Edwards to wear a very similar red strip?

Replay, say I!

Lucy Fur and Mark Baker like this.
  27. Pink Panther

That was a terrible combination of kits under lights. Navy blue v maroon, and each keeper's kit was too close a match for the opposition colours.

XV Brigada likes this.
  28. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Unless I was mistaken he also gave his thoughts on the referee's performance often agreeing with the Dulwich fans.

I think some people over-reacted dropping c-bombs towards the end when things were no longer going our way.

Mark Baker likes this.
  29. Dulwich Mishi

c-bombs? Are they a new brand of sweet or something? ;)

30. Pink Panther

He's taken the banter with a smile in the past when we've beaten them. He's entitled to give it back when the boot is on the other foot.

scousedom, Nivag, WillClunas and 8 others like this.