Hamlet v Weston-super-Mare - Tuesday 6 November 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Don't forget this rescheduled league match, postponed last month due to WSMs continued involvement in the FA Cup. Hopefully the penultimate home game at Mitcham before we return to East Dulwich.

clog, WillClunas and Blitzwalker like this.
  2. Pink Panther

There are late evening engineering works this week on the Sydenham to West Croydon section of the Overground. Last direct train back is at 2231.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm in!

4. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Subject to the Trophy draw next week. Annoyingly, WSM seem to have very lately hit some form after a dismal start to the season.

5. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

I will be there. I will be trying hard to contain my grief at the thought of the impending loss of the Jerk Shack by eating my own body weight in Beef Pattys.

EDC and Nivag like this.
  6. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Just as I discovered the Pukka Pie place at the back of the main stand too, and that there's a toilet up there.

the 12th man and gnar182 like this.
  7. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

I'm in. Going straight from work via Ganleys.

8. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I'm in and shall be taking the role of "Mine Jovial Host" behind the jump of the Pop-Up bar from around 6pm.

the 12th man likes this.
  9. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Slightly pissed at having to miss this game. Hope the radio commentary is up & running as it makes missing games bearable

C'mon you pink n blues

10. Pink Panther

Same XI and substitutes as Saturday except Tomlin starts with May on the bench.

11. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

Hamlet 1 up 9mins Vose:thumbs:

12. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

27 mins gone 1 -1

13. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Ooh, B.I.G, I hope you're watching this.

3010 likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How to throw away a comfortable 3-1 lead, Hamlet style.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  15. jonesyboyo

jonesyboyo Well-Known Member

Ah well. We don't want to do anything crazy like push for a double promotion do we? :)

passenger likes this.
  16. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Good result for Weston-super-Mare

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  17. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Flat atmosphere. Everyone chatting. We should make more of playing at home!

18. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

I’m disappointed with the result. Had to leave after we scored the penalty so I can’t accurately comment on how we threw away our lead but from what I heard on the radio Magnus cost us a goal with a rash and unnecessary tackle. Chambers poor positioning and a lapse in concentration cost us another goal.

We started well and the midfield controlled the first half. I though our opening goal was a thing of beauty, Clunis removing to defenders from the game which allowed Tomlin to sneak in behind and cut back to Vose who couldn’t miss. Weston scores from some neat football and tidy passing. The finish was good.

First 15 minutes of the Second half we dominated. Although a bit messy out second goal was finished, from a Clarence if the line, by Nathan Ferguson who hit it low an hard.

The run from Green for our penalty saw Green tear through their entire defence. He beat three players for speed and strength. Two players had to bring him down simultaneously just to stop him.

I then had to go so if not too unbearable please fill in the gaps.

Weston-super-mare weren’t great. They made a load of mistakes in the first 10 minutes and gifted us possession. Unlike St Albans however they tried to play football. They played out from the back and were as good as us when they attacked. They were more direct and didn’t spray the ball from left to right like we do, but they passed and moved, created chances and scored goals.

There were to many periods of that match were we became lazy, the tempo of play became predictable, slow and our players were making the same runs. I think the team massively underestimated Weston-Super-Mare and at 3-1 up payed the price...

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Magnificent substitutions by Gavin, then.

20. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Losing Kargbo was a problem

21. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

First of all WSM played well - so cannot take that away from them
    we should have scored 5 or 6
    We lacked the link up play we have shown in recent games, and some very poor passing
    Players seemed disinterested and distracted
    We never looked like losing but then again WSM were bottom of the League
    Was upset - but then again important we never lost and keep an unbeaten run
    a point a game would keep us middle table
    Sure Gavin will be using the hair dryer tonight

22. EDC

I think he used it at half time and it worked for all of ten minutes.

23. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Lack of concentration in final stages of game. Tiredness ? ( after 2 games in 4 days ). Bad mistake by Taylor letting his msn run free down left for the equaliser. But Weston sm were no mugs and stuck to their task, belying their league position. Very disappointing and frustrating.

crocustim likes this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Does anyone know what they're building opposite the main stand, behind the wall?

1.jpg

25. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Probably a wall so that when we leave we can't come back in a few years :hmm:

Blitzwalker, EDC and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  26. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I don’t really know where to begin with that. Agree with much of what RabbleLevi says, except that I thought WSM were pretty good actually. Certainly caused us more problems that 5th placed St Albans and deserved their point, I think. They were flaky at the back when put under pressure, but as mentioned they did try and play football and there were points during the first half where we couldn’t contain them at all. I’d go as far as to say we looked equally flaky. They looked like a very young side, but on the basis of their performance last night they won’t be in the bottom three for long. Their #8 (Diallo) was one of the best players I’ve seen at this level.

As for us, lots of issues to deal with. Tomlin again was anonymous for the vast majority of the game – his run to create the first goal was very good, but other than that we are not getting anywhere near our money’s worth; we took our foot off the gas after the third goal an paid the price for complacency; why we’re playing 4-3-3 is beyond me, we look so much more comfortable with 3 at the back – Quade (who’s not a right back) got absolutely destroyed by their nifty winger last night, Green looks like an average Isthmian left back, as opposed to the barnstorming wing back we all know he is. He won the penalty but other than that was completely subdued; I take zero pleasure in bringing this up again, but Nyren missed another load of chances; regardless of what you think of them both, the Nyren-Tomlin strike combo is about as toothless as it gets; we have no one else to do the Kargbo job – surely Onovwigun is fit enough to come back now?! – and we look so vulnerable when he’s not on the pitch; what on earth Magnus was doing lunging in like that is known only to him - really poor given his experience; I know his ‘tackle’ at Eastbourne was appalling, but Iffy Allen can change a game, as he demonstrated v Woking, I don’t know why he’s not getting a game.

Obviously I’m glad we didn’t lose, but to balls it up when we’re 3-1 up at home is bad.

crocustim, EDC, bkbk and 3 others like this.
  27. EDC

I totally agreed with the above. I thought WSM were very lively and stuck to their way of playing even when 3-1 down. They played the ball out from the back, putting themselves under pressure at times but that will only improve if they carry on doing it with the same players and were very fast down the flanks where they played most of their through balls although their crossing needs to improve as well. Their manager was exasperated last night with some of it.

28. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Bloody disaster that you did given that you had the last pie last night despite knowing that my need was greater ;)

EDC likes this.
  29. EDC

It tasted extra good for that very reason too.

30. Pink Panther

You can see why they're down the bottom in this Division. Apart from your lookalike at no3 they were quite a small side and tried to play attractive attacking football, so they probably get turned over by the sort of functional and attritional sides who've frustrated us at times. They were exactly the sort of side we generally used to beat comfortably in the Isthmian league. A bit like a superior version of Merstham. ("Weston-Super-Marestham"?)

I thought it looked slightly ominous when Kargbo went off with nearly half an hour to go, but we still had the better chances to go 4-1 up in the twenty minutes or so before they pulled it back to 3-2.

PartisanDulwich and editor like this.