Hamlet v Wealdstone (National League South) - Tuesday 6 August 2019, k.o. 7.45pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

First home league game of the season, and indeed the first evening league match at Champion Hill since November 2017 when we beat Harrow 2-0 in front of what was then a rare four figure midweek crowd, as well as television news cameras, after Meadow first told us we'd have to become self-funding.

Wealdstone came close to defeating eventual promotion play-off winners Woking at the semi-final stage in May and won their opening match 4-1 at home to Dartford on Saturday. They appointed former Hemel and Billericay manager Dean Brennan in the summer and are always well supported on their visits to Champion Hill.

I would imagine we'll field a similar or possibly unchanged team following our win at Tonbridge unless any of the injured players is able to return. Grainger is apparently unavailable until Saturday due to concussion protocols and Chapman will be unavailable until the home game with Concord Rangers on Saturday 17 August while he completes a 4 match suspension carried over from last season. I believe Taylor's one match ban for Saturday's sending off will be served this Saturday at home to St Albans.

LouiseDHFC, editor, Nivag and 2 others like this.
  2. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Can’t wait!

bkbk likes this.
  3. Pthorne

Pthorne Active Member

Love an early season midweek match. Enjoyed Saturday so looking forward to this one.

LouiseDHFC likes this.
  4. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I want some of this.

5. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Sexy football is back in East Dulwich!

6. editor

editor hiraethified

7. Pink Panther

No Connors or Ijaha in the starting XI. Case and Akinyemi start with Vose and Morris on the bench.

8. Pink Panther

1-0 Orlu

9. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Both injured? That's a terrible run of luck. What's up with Preston?

10. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Bag searches back tonight - thought the club had stopped those?

11. Pink Panther

12. cg__

cg__ Active Member

Really liked that performance. Mills is a proper handful, Monakana so dangerous, Orlu must have got on the end of every corner in that first half. Loan goalie looked top quality as well. I have no idea how he kept the ball out the end with that double save in the second half.

We look so much more solid and experienced now. Really solid options off the bench now as well, even with all these player absences

Poids and Pthorne like this.
  13. Pthorne

Pthorne Active Member

Quade Taylor was great tonight. Threw himself at pretty much everything.

Poids likes this.
  14. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

It’s not always pretty, but streetwise is effective. That was a decent Wealdstone team out there tonight and after the first ten minutes were negated other than the odd shot or corner. A bit more final ball composure and that could have been a lot more comfortable. A wonderful through ball from Nyren for the corner that led to the goal.

Paul's Brother and Nivag like this.
  15. editor

editor hiraethified

That was a bloody good performance against a strong and skilled Wealdstone.

16. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

Sexless football. Perfect. It’s all about the defensive barrier.

EDC and editor like this.
  17. passenger

passenger up and down...

Nice one

18. keith1

keith1 Active Member

Considering that 3 people in front of me in the queue were stopped with beer in glass bottles, I would say they were needed tonight.

19. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Good result against a strong and determined team. As said above, it wasn't pretty at times but it's effective!

20. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Incredible display. So many brilliant individual efforts: Mills and Smudge were excellent. Lovely to see Quade back in midfield too. Can only assume Dipo was injured, because he looked sharp for the first half.

A huge, huge performance.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Jules P likes this.
  21. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I’m all for bag searches, especially men with rucksacks and satchels. Fucking nuisance on public transport let alone football matches.

22. Pink Panther

I think Preston has a hand/wrist injury but no idea how serious. Grainger should be available for Saturday following his concussion in the Palace friendly, although Hartley-Brewer looks a perfectly capable solution to me.

That was a hard-fought win against strong opposition. I'm sure Wealdstone will feel they should have had something from that game as we really only threatened to score from set pieces and counter attacks. We weren't in the game at all for the first 20 minutes but our first decent attack saw Akinyemi played through the middle for a strong low shot that the keeper tipped behind at full stretch, only for Orlu to slam home at the far post from a corner whipped in at an awkward height for the defence.

Despite Wealdstone pressing us hard at times I felt our defence looked notably stronger and more assured than last season's model, which kept very few clean sheets and generally only against the most impotent attacking sides.

With 7 of our 20 contracted players missing including both goalkeepers, we had a loanee in goal plus a pre-season triallist and a youth team player on the bench, and if none of the injured are back on Saturday it could be 8 missing when Taylor serves his suspension.

Poids likes this.
  23. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Bus wanker.

Buffalo Bill likes this.
  24. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

I think the Dipo sub was entirely tactical, and necessary too. With their extra man in midfield the Wealdstone 4, Clifford, was finding so many gaps. Very surprised and relieved when they took him off.

Quade had a fantastic second half imo.

Did we ever hear on the severity of Aryans injury?

Poids likes this.
  25. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

Ugly, the sought of performance we didn’t have in our locker last season but other teams did (and beat us with).

Maynard-Brewer: despite only being on loan for a month threw himself at everything and produced 2/3 excellent saves, absolute commitment!

Barnes: excellent performance on the left in place of a presumably injured Connors. Got himself out of a few tight spots, turning defence into attack with plenty of driving runs.

Ryan Case: threw the ball well...

Taylor/Ambroisine/Orlu - all excellent in defence and dominated in the air. Orlu scored and excellent header at the back post and could have had another from the same position (couldn’t get a clean strike with his foot). Taylor put in a fine defensive display and dropped into the midfield in the second half as Ambroisine came on to tighten up the back.

Smith/Monlouis: in a two man midfield adapted well but were outnumbered. Their passing could have been better.

Monakana/Clunis: Picked of scraps for most of the game but able to provide an excellent spell of play that led to the opening goal. Nyren’s pass to Dipo that led to the corner and opening goal...brilliant. Monakana’s crossing ability...dangerous.

Dipo: Almost scored, was a very good shot, won the corner that led to the goal. Threw himself about, hounded the defence, still looks a bit unfit. Subbed at half time.

Mills: stood in as captain and led the line superbly. His hold up play is excellent.

Overall was a real team performance.
    The players adapted well from playing 4-3-3 at the weekend, to starting in a 4-4-2 tonight and then switching to 5-2-3 in the second half. The level of professionalism seems much higher, the players brought in seem much more experienced and versatile and able to cope with what the manager is telling them to do (reference to most of Gavin’s post match interviews last season...)

Top four, back to back wins, 6 points...BRING ON ALBANS!

Nivag likes this.
  26. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

That's a terrific win with the injury list we have. I assume Ijaha and Connors must be injured because I can't see any way they wouldn't have started after Saturday's performance. Does that make it 8 players injured and 2 suspended now? Amazing that we've started so well when we can barely get 11 players on the pitch! Can't wait to have Ijaha, Hunte and Chapman back. That's going to be some midfield trio!

Poids likes this.
  27. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

Ijaha was ill and Connors had a minor knock after kicking an opponent’s boot on Saturday, they should both be fine for the weekend! Plus Grainger is available following concussion protocol :)

Poids, Pink Panther and B.I.G like this.
  28. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

overall deserved that win. Pretty scrappy stuff, but some nice play towards the end of the game, plus a few squeaky bum moments.

Although a school night, really liked the £3 pints, and quick bar service. I get that it will be twice as busy on a Saturday, but well organised last night.

29. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I heard it's a ACL and MCL injury.

30. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Some say ugly football. I say quality. Getting three points from a game is always beautiful football as far as I'm concerned.