Hamlet v St Albans City - Saturday 3 November 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Nov 2, 2018.

1. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

I think this is likely to be the case.

2. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

You might be right. I say that having wondered aloud right up until quite recently what he was actually for.

Noss, EDC and scousedom like this.
  3. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Big Nathan Ferguson guy, me.

takkforalt, StephenMac and Cyclodunc like this.
  4. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

We don't mention them. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

5. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I’d like to hear him sing

Noss and StephenMac like this.
  6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I don't have time to watch all those videos just now, but that's basically circumstantial evidence without real context. I doubt many, if any, of those goals were scored with his left foot. I would imagine the main reason he never got that "big move" to a Football League club is that he's so one-footed. In fact these days it's highly unusual for such an effective player to be so one-footed. Furthermore brief video clips don't tell us whether he was actually "playing on the left" in any given match, or just happened to drift to the left in the build up to scoring. By all means switch the wingers during the course of a game to ask different questions of the defenders, but I think the issue some of us have is when he's been rigidly deployed on the left for the whole match with a left-footed winger on the right, and we've struggled to get goals and results; this was particularly noticeable in the Moss-Scannell-Waldren team of three years ago, when Albert Jarrett or Rhys Murrell-Williamson often played on the right. In the early part of that season, with Nyren on the right and RMW on the left there were times when we looked unstoppable, and I couldn't see the logic in changing that.

I've always regarded Nyren as an excellent right winger with an eye for goal, but the manger's preferred formations in recent seasons haven't really included orthodox wingers. Nyren has adapted pretty well to playing as a wing-back, and now as a striker. The one position I never felt he looked comfortable was left wing. For me a winger needs to be able to attack the byline and pick a cross or pass, go past his man on the outside and stretch the defence to create space for others in the middle, and that doesn't really happen when Nyren plays on the left, regardless of whether or not he sometimes cuts inside to get a shot on target.

But he hasn't "continued at the level he's at", he's moved up two levels in the last five seasons. He scored 20 goals last season without taking free kicks or penalties, and with some of his appearances being at wing back. I'd say that's good enough for a player who was in his first real season in a striker's role after converting from another position, regardless of whether he wasted other chances through being over-reliant on his right foot or not quite having a natural striker's composure in front of goal. If Nyren had a left foot and was a more ruthless finisher he'd basically be Ossie Bayram. (In fact Ossie was almost as old as Nyren is now when he first established himself after we picked him up from Sunday League football.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: for me Nyren is our club's greatest player of the 21st Century for a number of reasons. He could probably have reached Football League level by now if he was more self-centred and had a pushy agent, like Dan Sweeney for instance. FFS Luke Wanadio was playing in the National Division last season while Nyren was still in the Isthmian League with us. Is he a better player than Nyren? He essentially plays the same position and is now at Aldershot. I wouldnt' pick him over Nyren.

For me Nyren keeps improving gradually and steadily. He epitomises the whole Gavin Rose era by always being a bit better than the previous season and always rising to the challenge of being good enough for the next level. Let's say we'd won the Premier Division play-off the first time we were in it and gone up again with Maidstone. Leaving aside any issues with the ground and finance, we could be pushing for promotion to the Football League by now and I'm sure Nyren would be a regular first team player, and would still be if we actually got into the League. I'm sure there are worse players holding down places in Football league teams right now.

The other thing that is important to me, even if some consider it unimportant, is Nyren's excellent attitude and self-discipline. He never has a quiet game where you don't notice him, he's always looking for the ball, never hides, always tries to stay on his feet when he can. He's never been sent off or suspended, and his rare bookings tend to be for dissent against obvious refereeing errors (as was the case last Saturday, when the referee twice awarded goal kicks for shots that were touched behind by the keeper) or for "simulation" where the referee gets it wrong and he was clearly tripped.

I won't begrudge him a big move if it happens, but I hope that within the next four years or so (by which time he'll only be aged aaround 30-31) we'll see him break Reg Merritt's club appearance record of 576, and if he continues in his striker's role he may even be close to 200 goals by then too, which would be tremendous achievement.

Ronco, pompeydunc, Noss and 6 others like this.