Hamlet v St Albans City - Saturday 3 November 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Nov 2, 2018.

1. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

pompeydunc likes this.
  2. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Feels like I'm the only drunk bloke killing time at the bus stop.

3. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

This may reassure you Recent Posts | urban75 forums

4. StephenMac

I'm so bored.

B.I.G likes this.
  5. StephenMac

B.I.G likes this.
  6. StephenMac

Don't forget this is non-league football. Nyren was magnificent today (first half especially).

7. StephenMac

Also, didn't realise I was quoting MS...so I take it back.

B.I.G likes this.
  8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

His convertion rate of chances to goals is poor but he's one of the few players in the squad who've never played at this level before this season and he doesn't look out of place. Apart from the moment he shot from a tight angle when May was unmarked in the middle I thought he was excellent today and I think he'll keep getting better.

I've only just realised St Albans are the leading scorers in our division. We made them look rather ordinary.

Cyclodunc, Nivag and StephenMac like this.
  9. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

First half, yeh, I think he was good. Second half, OKish.

I don't want to retread old ground, but I don't think Nyren is bad player. I think he's good enough for this level, I just think he was frustrating flaws that have been around for a while, i.e. not clinical enough, iffy decision-making and ineffective in central or left positions. I think those flaws are far less apparent when he sticks to the right hand side.

You're absolutely right, this is non-league football and I don't expect Pele-esque performances week in, week out from all (apart from Vose, the little beardy genius), I do just find his lack of killer instinct incredibly frustrating, especially when 15 mins before he's played a delicious one-two off May before smashing the ball in the corner, and especially when it's been a problem for years.

Anyway, I'm dissecting this too much. He did score the winner, so credit where it's due. I just thought today we saw the best of Nyren and the not-so-best: a little 90 minute summary of the past few seasons.

If anyone needs me I'll be perched behind this here parapet.

clog and StephenMac like this.
  10. Moroccan Sunset

Agreed. No disrespect to St Albans but I expected a much greater threat. I couldn't really see how they'd score - they weren't long ball, they didn't have flying wingers, they weren't tiki taka.

Interesting to see how the league is shuffling about: Hampton started brightly but have dropped right off, despite having Dickson the one-man goal machine; Chelmsford have fallen to mid-table; Dartford are now top ten; Concord have slipped out the play offs; Torquay have strung some wins together and are in 7th. I know there's little space in terms of points, but it's intriguing to see some teams recover quite dramatically from a rough start and vice versa. A good result on Tuesday could take us into 8th/9th!

StephenMac likes this.
  11. StephenMac

Agree entirely. Thing is, when he scores the finish always looks so composed like it did today. I love what he means to the club and the supporters (number of appearances, goals, the King of Camberwell stuff etc) but, most of all I love that he's a player that, every now and then, can do something so wonderful that you forgive all his faults.

Pink Panther, Cyclodunc and EDC like this.
  12. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

The reason I can forgive Nyren his many missed chances is simple, he creates so many of them himself. He has the ability to tear down the middle of the pitch, cut inside and score from 30 yards, beat a man in one-to-one situations. Even if he doesn’t score his chances can lift the players around him. They put pressure on the opposition.

Look at how many chances Jay May had today. He doesn’t score goals. He has even said himself he doesn’t score goals. His reactions are to slow. He does a brilliant job at bringing the team in to the game. If May could score goals he would put Andy Carrot out of Business. Clunis probably saw May open at the far post and thought ‘nah, sorry Jay, even if my feet were tied together I’d still have a better chance’.

If Clunis converted 30% more of his chances he would be playing league 2 football. He wouldn’t be playing for us. I’m glad he only scores important goals and I’m glad they are for us.

13. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Just enjoy having him playing for the club.

14. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

Sorry to wreck it, but I’ll be there on Tuesday and I haven’t seen us put in a good performance yet this season... :(:facepalm::hmm:

alcopop likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From their forum

16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Not to mention Huddersfield and Macclesfield too!

17. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Felt generally upbeat about the performance and result, infact to be fair would have happily taken 3 points at any cost, given its importance in consolidating our position in this League against a Saints team that will nodoubt be in the play offs despite the woeful performance at Imperial fields.

I have to say as the game was about to kick off two things went through my mind (well three) firstly what a horrible yellow strip, secondly, they seemed man for man smaller and less bulky than our team and thirdly - where were the Saints fans as there were none at their end - only when the teams changed ends did it become clear that St Albans had brought a good 100 plus who to their credit made themselves heard in the first half - while the Rabble was rather subdued

The other fact was the pitch seemed heavy and cut up

We seemed to be well on top in the first half and really should have gone in 2 or 3 up (one great save from the Saints Goalie)

Second half a few Hamlet unforced errors at the back nearly cost us and think many of us feared the worst with 4 mins extra time and a ref who seemed to penalise Hamlet players at every opportunity

We had some truly mind blowing passages of play, only let down by some unlucky and some poor finishing - we do need a goal scorer the likes of Reise Allasani (but I know these dont come cheap)

a fair result would have been 3-1

But in the end a good job well done

As stated elsewhere it was good to hear a polite round of applause for former Conservative sport Minister Tracey Crouch (who resigned over the influence of the betting industry and who had recently convened the successful meeting with Meadows, The Club and local MPs) when Liam rightly thanked her for her support and her stance. Thats what I like about Dulwich Hamlet, we actually care about people - Its easy for our protractors to label us "lefties" but as Mishi would say its "about doing the right thing" from foodbanks, support for refugees, LGBT rights or the curse of unregulated betting in football or those Hamlet players who served or gave their lives in the World Wars - I am proud that Club and fans go out of their way to actually care about issues.

Now bring on Weston Super Marie (hopefully without the accompanying wheelie bins - See Torquay V WSM)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Taper likes this.
  18. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Who is Andy Carrot? Do you mean Jasper?

Jay May played really well. He won all of his battles. An important part of the squad.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  19. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

Andy Carroll. I keep forgetting Jay is 35. There is something beautiful about watching this thwarting, no-nonsense juggernaut of a CF whose only roll is to use his body as a vessel to bring in to the game the rest of our team. He just gets on with it.

Long May his reign continue!

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  20. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Should have scored too, if only he’d have slid in with his left leg out instead.

Scolly likes this.
  21. Moroccan Sunset

To be fair, I agree with most of this. What I can't agree with is glossing over his deficiencies because of the good things that he does do. Just because a player is good at one thing, doesn't mean you (generally speaking) should ignore his shortcomings in other areas. It creates a totally false perception of that player and they become immune to criticism. I think if you do create this rose-tinted version of any player they'll never improve. That is essentially my point: he does make good contributions, mainly when flying down the right hand side, but his deficiencies are apparent and have been so for a number of seasons. To continue ignoring said deficiencies means you're (again generally speaking) not seeing Nyren as he is, but as you want to see him.

I think your point that he creates more than he scores is bang on. But that fact is down to his poor conversion rate, I think: i.e. he should score as many as he creates given the amount of opportunities he gets. I think that gets to the point of breakthrough though: either Nyren has to address this poor conversion rate, or Gavin has to put him into a position that will allow him to create more goalscoring chances, rather than be the player to whom those chances fall. I think the solution is a mix of both. Personally I think Nyren will always be a better creator than scorer, and that's why I think playing him on the right wing, where he can use that right foot to cross more than shoot, is the best option.

I take what you're saying about May, but we've had May for a quarter of a season - my bug-bear with Nyren is that his weaknesses have been present for years. You're right: May isn't going to score buckets of goals, but that's not what he does. Gavin recognises that and uses him as this backboard from which other players play off. I essentially think that's what we need to do with Nyren: put him in a position that plays to his strengths, rather than putting him in a position that isn't his best and exposes his weaknesses.

22. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

23. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

So it's ok to play Jay May up front, as he DOESN'T score goals. While Nyren is our top scorer and DOES score, but we need to put him on the wing more...and the right side only. Right. Ok...

The management are well aware of his conversion rate. I hope it doesn't improve, as we'd lose him to the professional game.

Ronco, Dulwich Mishi and Harry R like this.
  24. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's shit from the left...

From 53 seconds all the way down the left:

100th goal down the left:

This tap in down left:

Hate goals against Leatherhead sort of down left:

This one started on left, did a 1-2 with himself on right and finished on left...on a pie of a pitch...away at Bilericay...

Determination down left...

Nyren Clunis 2nd Goal vs Harlow Town, Bostik League Premier Division, 17/10/17

Half-volley on left

Nyren Clunis vs Leiston, Bostik League Premier Division, 26/08/17

Getting in behind defence from long ball...down the left...

Nyren Clunis v Wingate & Finchley, Bostik League Premier Division, 23/01/18

Finish with this one nudged over the line down the right...I mean left...

Nyren Clunis vs Staines Town, Bostik League Premier Division, 14/10/17

Ronco, takkforalt and johnny clash like this.
  25. Moroccan Sunset

Posting videos of him scoring from the left doesn't actually undermine what I'm saying: what I'm saying is his conversion rate is poor. That list just shows when he has scored - I'm sure you could make another substantial list of chances (from both the left and the right) of chances he's missed. Saturday being a fine example.

For the record, I, like everyone else, am chuffed he's got those goals from the left.

Pink Panther likes this.
  26. Moroccan Sunset

And I think that's my sticking point. I'd much rather see Nyren improve and for us to lose him to a top 4-tier side than for him to continue at the level he's at and not push on. I think Quade and Chambers and Dipo are brilliant too and it's great having them play for us, but I'd say the same for them. I'd never want one of our players to not improve so that we can keep hold of him. Part of the joy of watching Erhun was seeing him get better and better and in doing so knowing that he'd get a higher move.

Re: May, yes absolutely. The fact that he plays as our main striker is immaterial. I'd like to think that football has developed beyond the 90s, when a striker was only deemed successful if he scored lots of goals. What matters is May's role in the team: as long as he serves as the team's focal point and holds the play up for Dipo, Nyren, Cook et al, then that's fine. Again, the fact that Nyren is our top scorer isn't proof of a good goals-to-chances ratio, which is what I'm saying.

3010 likes this.
  27. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

May is Heskey without the goals.
    Nyren is Messi with the social responsibility.

pompeydunc likes this.
  28. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Maybe, just maybe, they know they can't get any more out of Nyren and what you get is what you get....which as far as I'm concerned is a living legend who has made over four hundred appearances & scored over a hundred goals! As many, including myself, if he had that 'little bit extra' he'd be in the professional game, so I'm glad he hasn't. A true Dulwich Hamlet legend, albeit not the'King of Camberwell' because he's from Peckham.

pompeydunc, Ronco, Poids and 2 others like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

I think Nathan Ferguson will be the next to onwards and upwards.

He has suddenly become consistent, and that’s what kept him from starting more frequently last season (that and kenny).

For someone so tall he possesses great balance and speed with the ball. He practically glides across the pitch. And he’s only 22. The strike smacked against the post vs Albans felt more like a warning shot, but the keeper was beaten. If he continues exceeding at this level he could be some player.

Taper and Moroccan Sunset like this.