Hamlet v Maidstone United, Tuesday 3 September 2019, National League South, ko 7.45pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Sep 1, 2019.

1. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Coursework is part of most if not all GCSEs. Perhaps when O levels were the thing, it relied more on examinations. Examinations in qualifications favour the elite over coursework.

2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

If you think coursework is a strange part of schools then you are out of touch. And if you didn't know anyone that used a thesauruses to try and sound clever than maybe you were that person, after all you like to speak Latin to sound clever.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

If you want to get pedantic, it's a forum funded anonymously by its users and moderated by unpaid volunteers. Unlike most other forums, it has no advertising, no sponsorship and the lightest possible touch when it comes to moderation, with posters able to post up pretty much what they like, when they like, so as long as it stays within the rules. The vast, vast majority of users will never experience a post of theirs being deleted or edited in any way at all. Ever.

I built this forum to help the club and it's served as Dulwich Hamlet's main online forum for many years now and has proved a huge success, IMO. It's easily one of the busiest non league forums with over 68,000 posts, and some may say that it's absolutely proved a useful tool in promoting the club online and increasing fan engagement in a very effective way.

But if you want to try and dismiss it or belittle it as being 'my' own little playground, feel free.

GregDHFC, Ronco and Bugpowder Dust like this.
  4. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I’m not dismissing or belittling or anything. After all if I didn’t respect the work that has gone into building the forum I wouldn’t post on it.

I am though pointing out that because this isn’t a club forum, a post on here - or a hundred posts on here come to that - asking a question doesn’t equate to having asked the club that question. In the same way as if I sit in my living room and say to myself “why are there cameras at the ground?’, I haven’t asked the club that. No matter if my living room happens to have 3,000 Hamlet fans in it (it doesn’t, btw, it feels like it’s full of Lego and crumbs).

Could you not just take this offline and ask the club directly what the camera craic is about? Rather than imply and opine and insinuate? After all if your concern is the health of the club and its fanbase and the relationship between the two, isn’t it better to say “There’s this thing I wondered about, I asked about it and it’s this, and the upsides are abc and the downsides xyz” rather than “There’s this thing and maybe it’s the end of the world as we know it let’s all speculate without any facts”.

If you don’t ask the club - who these days are literally the most approachable people there are going - it rather implies you don’t want to know the answer, you just want to drive speculation.

blueheaven and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  5. scousedom

Sorry, going way off topic here, but I’m intrigued by this. Is this true? I’d always assumed exams would be, like the Cup, a leveller. On the basis that anyone can have a bad/god day in the exam hall whereas tutors can write coursework for Eton students.

B.I.G likes this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

I have already asked loads of people at the ground and no-one knows, and MrFouldsy wrote to the club several days ago and presumably had no answer either.
    "End of the world"? What?

With no explanation forthcoming from the club as to why there's been a large professional film crew at every home game this season, there is no option but to speculate.

7. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

My understanding is that it is a one off piece that it is hoped will be commissioned for a series with Netflix. However, don't take that as official. I'm sure Tom or Ben would be happy to give you a full explanation

B.I.G and editor like this.
  8. editor

editor hiraethified

Thank you!

I've got very mixed feelings about this if it's true.

9. scousedom

You.
    Could.
    Ask.
    The.
    Club.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

The.
    Club.
    Have.
    Already.
    Been.
    Asked.

11. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

For
    Fucks
    Sake
    Stop
    Arguing

Pink Panther and editor like this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

Give.
    Us.
    A.
    Kiss.

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

They have the advantage in both sadly, but the belief in the nineties was that grammar and public school students were far better prepared for examinations, and therefore did disproportionately well.

Whereas, with coursework the students didn't require as much prompting from the system.

I'm not in education so I don't know the current thinking, but when I was at school I did better in my Latin exam than my French coursework.

scousedom likes this.
  14. scousedom

Not by you though. You only found out about that after you’d started whatever this all is. I don’t understand, I really don’t, and I’m not the only one, why you wouldn’t have asked them yourself?

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I'm sure we can all agree that if they had commissioned a series in 2014, it would have been better.

16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I was told that he wrote to them in Latin.

Cyclodunc likes this.
  17. MrFouldsy

MrFouldsy Active Member

I actually had quite a good exchange with Ben on the filming to be fair. My complaint came about from the Netflix cameras. I can post a summary, but I'd rather the club just came out with some Comms. In short

One of the crews is doing a pitch for a Netflix programme about non league players with Aspire, I think

They shouldn't be filming fans (but they are)

There should be posters up explaining and that you can ask not to be filmed - but actual effectiveness of this and policy is unclear

I asked that the club consults with the Trust on setting a policy and deciding future filming

The club really needs to be open about this.

takkforalt and editor like this.
  18. MrFouldsy

MrFouldsy Active Member

No coursework anymore

19. editor

editor hiraethified

And they absolutely are. Apart from ChipGate, at one game I was having a chat and one of these filming blokes set up a tripod next to us and tried to zoom in. It was quite intrusive.
    I haven't seen anything relating to this filming posted up around the ground and, as you say, fans should both be told about it and given an option to opt out.
    100% agree. This is what has annoyed me. Paying supporters shouldn't be expected to fire off private emails just to find out what is going on at their club, and the way some posters have tried to dismiss such valid concerns is quite depressing.

If only there was a hugely popular online public forum available somewhere, where the club could easily reach fans and explain what's going on. Oh, wait.... :facepalm:

Thanks for posting this, by the way.