Hamlet v Maidstone United, Tuesday 3 September 2019, National League South, ko 7.45pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Sep 1, 2019.

1. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Yep, keeper was close to being dazzled on a couple of occasions.

2. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

It is possible the Dulwich players are not eating Chia seed pudding. Apparently, years ago, there was a team in the Aztec second division that didn't lose a game for two whole seasons. All down to Chia seeds. That and the fact that after each game the player that the Aztec fans voted worse man of the match was ritually sacrificed to the gods. It also helped keep their wage bill down.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Cyclodunc and bkbk like this.
  3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Very disappointing. A tight game dominated by defences, Maidstone had the better of the few chances created. It looked like we would grind out another goalless draw until the visitors finally unlocked our defence with five minutes to go. Hamlet almost snatched a scarcely deserved equaliser right at the death when a great cross from the right was headed over the bar by a diving Mills.

I think we need some consistency of selection, which mostly hasn't been possible with different players unavailable for most matches. Last night we seemed to have almost everyone available but set up in a different shape with Vose playing a deep midfield role instead of as a "number ten".

We did well to get maximum points in the first three games, especially as we played half the game a man short in two of them, but perhaps we're not yet quite as good as those results suggested? Maidstone were very strong at the back last night and look an obvious top three side to me in what will probably be a tight division once again. We have a lot of new players to be integrated and should still be capable of evolving into a top seven side.

4. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

It is just a coincidence that our recent performances have been all over the place since having to 'accommodate' someone who didn't feature at the start of the season?

Bugpowder Dust likes this.
  5. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Would've thought simply asking them might get you your answer here.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  6. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

A very quick tot-up (top of my head so I might be mis-remembering one or two) suggests we have scored 5 goals from open play in our 9 games. I don't know what a typical ratio is but that feels unsustainable. One of those open play goals was a breakaway from Eastbourne's laughable attempt at a short corner, and another a defensive error from Slough for Allassani's first on that day.

Corner 4 (Ijaha Tonbridge / Orlu Wealdstone / Clunis or OG St Albans / Mills Eastbourne)
    Long Throw 2 (Clunis St Albans / Allassani Slough)
    Penalty 1 (Monakana Tonbridge)
    Open 5 (Mills Concord x2 / Mills Eastbourne / Allassani Eastbourne / Allassani Slough)

I didn't see much of Chapman in pre-season but had been hoping he'd bring some creative spark to what is a fairly robust midfield. That hasn't materialised so far. Is Connor Hunte still struggling with injury? He is yet to feature this season though he's made the bench a few times. He looked a goal threat last year in his short spell. I was hoping Monluis would be our ball carrier in midfield, having someone in a central position who can beat a man is a huge asset, but he's looked a split second off the pace.

I think we've got a positive foundation for this season. We are certainly looking stronger at the back and I think our fullbacks are fantastic. There are clearly tweaks needed but i'm hoping we can begin to settle down and find our strongest side. Allassani is a bit of a conundrum though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  7. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I saw reports of people seeing 2 moons after this clearance.

8. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

This is so fucking good

pompeydunc likes this.
  9. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Second game of the season for me after being away in August and its back to back home defeats.

Can't remember the last time that happened, but most the optimism I had after our fast start has vanished.

Slough and Maidstone both looked better than us individually and as a team. At best I think we will be fighting for one of the last playoff places at the end of the season.

Smith seems to have a clumsy touch and Vose has a nasty habit of leaving his passes short. Monakana the only one who looked dangerous, and should start. Nyren played in the middle and I think he would have been more effective out wide.

No reason why the slump needs to continue, especially if full time training can solve the "where does Reise fit it" question.I

Overall I think we've played more top half sides than bottom, and the squad is still moving around, and we've had an illness sweep the dressing room. Bring on Braintree.

editor likes this.
  10. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

11. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

Besides the Elokobi clearance which was very nearly up there with my clearance against Maidstone supporters a few years ago, I think we should also take a moment to remember that delightful touch from Nyren in the first half where he brought the ball down and turned at the same time...another rare highlight.

12. cg__

cg__ Active Member

I was wondering the exact same. Mills and Allassani was a really crap combination yesterday and should have been changed earlier in my opinion. I thought Monakana should have started (if he was 100%) as he has been dangerous in all the games I have seen so far this season.

I was also really impressed with Hunte last season and how direct he was, so I hope he will begin to feature soon.

13. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

That was beautiful.

14. pettyboy

And then played a shite pass. It was Nyren in a nutshell!

Moroccan Sunset and Al Crane like this.
  15. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

The clearance in the second half was not far off this as it cleaned two houses.

16. editor

editor hiraethified

I don't like to bother people when they're working or shout at them when they're on the pitch, but if you know why there's a big film crew at every game who seem as interested in filming the fans as much as the game, I'd be obliged if you'd share the information because no one I know seems to know why they're there.

17. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

I agree with you about Connor Hunte but I also think there's no reason why Mills and Allassani can't be an excellent partnership too. They just need to play much closer to each other and be more aware of each other.

Pink Panther likes this.
  18. pettyboy

So why do you (and plenty of others) turn up to the ground every week with a camera, Mister "Editor" ?

To keep spreading the word about one of the best community clubs in London?
    To document the charm and eccentricities of non-league football?
    To tell stories with words and pictures?

It could be any one of these reasons, but I'm not going to put words in their mouths when it would take 10 seconds to ask them.

19. editor

editor hiraethified

You're actually comparing a fan showing up at games with a small camera for the last decade for a local non-profit website report with an entire commercial crew suddenly turning up mob-handed at every game with monumentally expensive cameras, tripods and radio headsets?

The former seems very much in the spirit of non league football - fans all helping to promote the club - the latter seems more about commercial exploitation.

I'm not really into having someone film me for unspecified purposes when I'm trying to buy some chips at a non-league game, but each to their own.

And I would have thought asking about them here here was the polite thing to do. If you don't know the answer, I'll wait for someone who does. Unless it's all top secret or something.

Ronco and pompeydunc like this.
  20. pettyboy

Who's to say they aren't fans of the club too? Guess you wouldn't know as you've never spoken to any of them.

Curiosity killed the cat, eh...

21. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

I was under the impression it has something to do with Netflix

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  22. editor

editor hiraethified

That would be amazing if a non league club suddenly acquired a whole team of coordinated video professionals who spontaneously came together to bring down all their expensive gear en masse and film the club every single week. What luck! They must also have more fans with access to entire editing suites too because putting together so much footage is a hugely time consuming and skilful job.

The bit missing is: where is the footage?

23. editor

editor hiraethified

That's what I keep hearing too, although no one seems to know (hence me asking here).

24. pettyboy

What? So someone using expensive camera equipment can't also be a fan of Dulwich Hamlet Football Club?

You've lost the plot mate.

25. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

There's a world of difference between someone taking a few photos in which you might appear in the background etc and a film crew pointing a whacking great camera in your boat from a few feet away.

pompeydunc likes this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

Indeed.

27. pettyboy

Looks fairly innocuous to me.

Much like the type of miscellany you regularly capture at games yourself! ;)

28. editor

editor hiraethified

Difference is that I take a quick snap with a small camera and move on, rather than turning up with an entire crew of professional film makers and then blocking the narrow passage at the one end of the ground when fans are trying to swap ends at half time for that vital 'chip-buying' sequence.

29. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

It's either Netflix or Amazon Prime. Can't remember which. They're doing a DHFC documentary.

Which reminds me, YTC: makeup didn't have my Norwegian sparkling water at room temperature again and can we please do something about the lack of scented candles in my trailer?

pettyboy and editor like this.
  30. editor

editor hiraethified

"The Hamlet will not be televised"
    ....instead we'll be documented and syndicated across a big-budget global subscription TV network.

"Dulwich Hamlet - everyone now knows us"
    ....And we don't care

:D

Ronco likes this.