Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Hungerford 14 Sept

EDC

A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days
:) Forgot about him. No offence, just those dickheads running on the pitch at the end.

StephenMac

I have never booed my team, but I was sorely tempted to break my duck there. Awful, awful performance. We were so lucky to go in ahead. Maynard-Brewer made some fantastic saves to keep us in it. 2-0 to them at half time would have been fair. And then that second half... If the players showed the same passion for winning the ball as they did for whining at the ref they’d be world beaters.
Yeah, maybe save your booing for the Premier League.

StephenMac

Ok to say that AM-B (yo!) kept us in the game in the first half but we might have had four or five. The second half was a bona fide shambles though. We were barely in the half of a team that will obviously struggle all season until the last few minutes. There are no excuses for the way we set up and if we have the manager pinning it all on the players and their attitudes in his post-match interview (assuming he did one) then we may as well just not bother. Absolutely lamentable horseshit.

editor

hiraethified
They were not
Maybe, after all the talk here, they've gone undercover with spy cameras concealed in their hats and scarves? Or maybe they've set up camp some distance away and are using super zooms to capture the sun glistening off the tears of the fans?

:hmm: :D

Son of Roy

Tory Scumbag Apparently!
Dulwich were so 'dreedfool', as Alan Hanson would say, it seems to have caused many of us to overlook the performance of the referee. The referee was shocking. I'd like see the video footage of the yellow card for simulation which looked like a penalty to me. He thought he'd even things up by giving us a corner at the end that wasn't.

Last edited:

RabbleLevi

Dulwich were so 'dreedfool', as Alan Hanson would say, it seems to have caused many of us to overlook the performance of the referee. The referee was shocking. I'd like see the video footage of the yellow card for simulation which looked like a penalty. He thought he'd even things up by giving us a corner at the end that wasn't.
Ref was awful, what’s new? First half we had the same amount of chances as Hungerford, we took ours and went in 2-0 up. AMB was heroic, we absorbed the early pressure and we could have easily have gone in at half time 3/4 to the good.

The ref denied us a penalty...I was right by it. Their player slid in, Monakana pushed the ball to the side and took the hit, you could here the contact, there was no where he could go. Ref may have thought Jeffrey was trying to buy the pen but it was careless from their defender nonetheless, anywhere else on the pitch and it’s a yellow card for the defender.

The ref was shit...but in this instance not the reason we lost.

One positive, Hunte looked excellent in the number 10 role. It’s a position we have few options in but Hunte looked comfortable, tricky and caused problems for Hungerford.

Dulwich Mishi

Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!
R.I.P.
Buck stops with the management. At least last year’s team had a bit of fight!

Champion Hill has just become a day out it’s not about the footy anymore.
Really! I thought last season’s lot were generally an under achieving lot. Wasn’t surprised in the slightest when quite a few were swept out of the door. What was it... four down at half time in three games?

Pink Panther

Ref was awful, what’s new? First half we had the same amount of chances as Hungerford, we took ours and went in 2-0 up. AMB was heroic, we absorbed the early pressure and we could have easily have gone in at half time 3/4 to the good.

The ref denied us a penalty...I was right by it. Their player slid in, Monakana pushed the ball to the side and took the hit, you could here the contact, there was no where he could go. Ref may have thought Jeffrey was trying to buy the pen but it was careless from their defender nonetheless, anywhere else on the pitch and it’s a yellow card for the defender.

The ref was shit...but in this instance not the reason we lost.

One positive, Hunte looked excellent in the number 10 role. It’s a position we have few options in but Hunte looked comfortable, tricky and caused problems for Hungerford.
I stayed at the Greendale End for the first half so I was 100 yards away from the penalty incident, but it looked about as obvious a penalty as you could get. Monakana initially had lots of time and space to advance and pick a pass into the middle but took a heavy touch that allowed the defender to think he could win the ball, however our man still got there first and the defender had fully committed himself and just took him out as far as I could see. Whether or not he "bought" or "drew" the foul is irrelevant, the defender wasn't in control of his challenge for me and missed the ball. I was flabbergasted by the referee's interpretation so I shall certainly be interested to watch the highlights video, but given the magnitude of our team's failings we can hardly blame the referee's perceived shortcomings for the result.

I thought Hunte looked good in the first half and is the best fit for that number 10 role supporting Mills, although not surprisingly I felt he flagged a bit during the second half in his first start for almost 5 months, so wasn't surprised he was withdrawn.

The performance reminded me of last season's home game with Truro, except on that occasion we fortuitously escaped with all the points thanks to a late winner against nine men.

Taper

Mark McGann
Risible performance. And so predictable. What happened to the obdurate defence we saw against Wealdstone.

Matt The Cab

Live it like you love it
I get that we go through this every year, but that means we're making the same fundamental mistakes every season. Frankly, it's just tedious. It's even more tedious to hear the squad or a select handful of players blamed every single time something goes wrong. I think I'd dispute that going entire halves/games without a shot on target is a mistake: that's a major flaw in the tactics (one that's been around for seasons now).

These mistakes would perhaps be understandable if we had a budget similar to that of a club like Hungerford, but we've massively increased the wage bill this season. On top of that we've gone to three training sessions per week, got nutrition plans for all of the players, and signed a load of players that are proven at this level or the one above. I just don't think it's good enough.
You wanna try watching Arsenal as your other team

pettyboy

I haven't watched it yet, but the "highlights" are up.
Worth re-watching for some of AMB's saves and getting a second look at the Monakana "dive".

There doesn't appear to be any contact but that's not really the point. He jumps up to avoid his legs getting clattered, the defender was getting nowhere near the ball. Definite penalty!

There doesn't appear to be any contact but that's not really the point. He jumps up to avoid his legs getting clattered, the defender was getting nowhere near the ball. Definite penalty!
What are you on about? It was a terrible dive and the correct decision from the ref. If Monakana wants a penalty, he should take the hit - the defender wasn’t exactly steaming in to clatter him!

cg__

The Monakana pen thing looked theatrical in real life but I thought the highlights might show clear contact that my obstructed view might have missed. Looks like a dive to me sorry Jeff. If Hungerford had won a pen from an incident like that I wouldn't be happy. Even the 2nd half challenge on Monakana when he is bearing down on goal doesn't look as clear cut as I thought at the time.

The defending for that 2nd Hungerford goal is astonishingly bad. Having watched the highlights, it's actually worse than I remember. Meadow could have built 30 flats in the amount of space their fullback had

editor

hiraethified
The defending for that 2nd Hungerford goal is astonishingly bad. Having watched the highlights, it's actually worse than I remember. Meadow could have built 30 flats in the amount of space their fullback had
Luxury ones, at that.

pettyboy

What are you on about? It was a terrible dive and the correct decision from the ref. If Monakana wants a penalty, he should take the hit - the defender wasn’t exactly steaming in to clatter him!
If he doesn't jump, his legs get taken out. We all know Monakana has struggled with injuries so far this season. Why risk it?

pompeydunc

No interviews in the highlights package. Wise?

The highlights don't make it appear as bad as those who were there say. Many chances in the first half, and the second half seems to be the mirror opposite, which I guess is where the ire lies! Shocking defending for the second goal - how was Tomlinson given so much space?

I can see why the ref has called Monakana for diving, as he has added that classic arched back exaggeration, which was unnecessary and is not going to help the case. The Hungerford player has not gone in high or dangerous, but does it appear to clip his right leg just after he has cut the ball back in, so there is no reason for him to be taking evasive action. He has clearly propelled himself into the exaggerated dive, which is completely unnecessary. Dive doesn't trump pen though, so should still have been a pen. Lodge used to get loads of pens for us, but he didn't do the theatrics part, and just collapsed instead. Seemed to work much better...

Last edited: