Hamlet v Hungerford 14 Sept

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Bugpowder Dust, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Wot no match day thread?

Lovely day for a game of football. Betfair odds last night had us as the surest win in the league today, less than 2:1 on, which I think is a tad optimistic.

crocustim likes this.
  2. AveryDave

AveryDave Well-Known Member

Preston on Twitter last night offering his commiserations to Reise and wishing him a swift recovery from his injury. Which doesn’t sound great.

3. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

ACL according to this:
    INTERVIEW: Mark Robins Gives Sky Blues Injury Update
    Not sure if it’s the same knee he’s damaged previously but rotten luck for him!

4. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Seem to call Hungerford considered voluntary relegation last season so wonder if investment in the team has been decreased accordingly?

5. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

2-0 at half time. Some truly world class saves from Brewer stopped an early Hungerford onslaught.

Since then we have been on top. David and Mills with the goals. Monakana should have had a stone wall penalty. Was a total wipeout moment. Ref has been poor, Monakana booked for diving.

6. editor

editor hiraethified

2-1...

7. RabbleLevi

Half time change - Chapman for Orlu - Defender for Midfielder...

2-2 after 7 minutes...

8. editor

editor hiraethified

FFS. If we can't beat Hungerford at home we're in troubled waters....

9. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

How long does it take for the untouchable to become touchable?

JoeBoy1959 and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  10. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

WTF happened? We were 2-0 up then Orlu goes off at HT and we are playing 3 at the back. Now 2-3

11. RabbleLevi

Smith came on for Hunte. Chapman has been dreadful. I believe Monlouise and Ambrosine are both on the bench.

12. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I wonder which player's fault it will be this weekend?

13. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Fuck me, that was a painful second half.

Nivag and Pink Panther like this.
  14. cg__

cg__ Active Member

That was a really troubling result. What the fuck was that 2nd half performance??

15. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I have never booed my team, but I was sorely tempted to break my duck there. Awful, awful performance. We were so lucky to go in ahead. Maynard-Brewer made some fantastic saves to keep us in it. 2-0 to them at half time would have been fair. And then that second half... If the players showed the same passion for winning the ball as they did for whining at the ref they’d be world beaters.

Moroccan Sunset, editor and GregDHFC like this.
  16. EDC

To be fair, we’re all pissed off but their keeper made a couple of save on the last few minutes that could have swung it.

Pink Panther likes this.
  17. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

The whole 90 was shite.

18. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

That brings my Hamlet season so far to: watched 4, lost 4.

Three of those we were ahead and couldn't hold the lead.

Two most recent ones we had a player booked for diving in the box almost as though the ref had pre-decided before the match he wouldn't be giving a pen.

Chapman looks the part but was a disastrous half time sub today. Smith is equally poor and and White isn't good enough either. Connors, Monakana and Mills were good first half but fell away.

This is relegation form, looks like it is going to be a long tough season. At least we won't lose 3 points next Saturday...

editor likes this.
  19. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Yeah but that’s just standard last minute chances. Especially when you’re bottom of the league and away from home. Drop back and inevitably give something away. No credit should be given for that, it’s not even turd-roll glitter.

20. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

shocking, truly shocking
    cant think of a shot on target in the second half
    Maynard-Brewer our best player - says it all

21. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

I am going to have actual nightmares over their second goal. A failure of everything.

22. cg__

cg__ Active Member

There was that point blank header from Mills that was well defended by the goalie. Aside from that, and the unbelievable save at the end, we barely even got near the goal

Nivag likes this.
  23. JoeBoy1959

JoeBoy1959 Member

That half-time change was ridiculous. Why bring on Chapman, who has not lived up to expectations, for a defender? And if it was for injury, rather than tactical, reasons, why not bring on another defender?
    All three Hungerford goals came from the same place where there was a gaping hole.
    WTF happens in the changing room at half time?
    This is now getting to be a habit and something has to change and probably at the top.

Bugpowder Dust likes this.
  24. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

Can we spend the Netflix money on Pep Guardiola plz.

editor, EDC and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  25. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

Buck stops with the management. At least last year’s team had a bit of fight!

Champion Hill has just become a day out it’s not about the footy anymore.

26. Moroccan Sunset

Honestly, I think it became that a long time ago.

27. EDC

Some absolute bellends present today, key jangles, Aussie twats on the pitch, etc. Annoyingly it’s the first game for ages I watched the whole match behind the goals and the new terraces have made that possible, apart from the result I actually enjoyed it.

StephenMac likes this.
  28. EDC

Fair enough, just straw grasping.

scousedom likes this.
  29. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

"Riddled with deficiencies" is the most imaginative description I can think of for that performance. We started each half looking slack and unready. We got away with it the first time, but it took three good saves by Maynard-Brewer to keep us level before we took a 14th minute lead against the run of play with a Mills header. The rest of the first half was a decent contest with Hungerford looking surprisingly positive and confident given their league position, but their heads dropped when we doubled our lead five minutes before the break and we spurned two or three opportunities to bury them with a third goal.

I assume Orlu had to come off at half-time (if it was purely tactical it had a disastrous effect) and with a bench comprising five midfielders of varying types we sent on Chapman, with Taylor dropping into the back four. Within five minutes our advantage was wiped out. Monakana had been booked for simulation after falling inside the box under a lunging challenge that didn't come close to winning the ball, and he also appeared to be fouled when a strong run deep into the visitors' half was halted immediately before they broke upfield for their winner midway through the second half. However, such was our inability to make anything resembling a fighback during the ample time that remained it's impossible to argue that we deserved anything from the game.

Once more we're trapped in a cycle of chopping and changing the starting XI for each game - three changes from the last one, it's difficult to remember the last time there were fewer than that and it's sometimes been more - and no doubt there will be more changes next week. Eventually we'll hit on something that produces a convincing win and stick with it for a while, which is what always happens, but these painful periods of transition seem to be a recurring part of early Autumn for the Hamlet.

Team (4-2-3-1): Maynard-Brewer - Barnes, McCoy, Orlu, Connors - Ijaha (c), Taylor - Monakana, Hunte, White - Mills. Subs: Chapman (for Orlu), Clunis (for White), Smith (for Hunte), Vose, Monlouis (not used).
    Attendance; 2,071

Poids and StephenMac like this.
  30. Moroccan Sunset

I get that we go through this every year, but that means we're making the same fundamental mistakes every season. Frankly, it's just tedious. It's even more tedious to hear the squad or a select handful of players blamed every single time something goes wrong. I think I'd dispute that going entire halves/games without a shot on target is a mistake: that's a major flaw in the tactics (one that's been around for seasons now).

These mistakes would perhaps be understandable if we had a budget similar to that of a club like Hungerford, but we've massively increased the wage bill this season. On top of that we've gone to three training sessions per week, got nutrition plans for all of the players, and signed a load of players that are proven at this level or the one above. I just don't think it's good enough.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019