Hamlet v Eastbourne Borough - Boxing Day Wednesday 26 December 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Dec 24, 2018.

1. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Agree with much said above regarding Michael Chambers btw. I spoke to him briefly afterwards to congratulate him on his performance and that of the team that he led. It was only the second time he has been named captain and it was significant, I think, on such an important occasion.

I thought he stepped up brilliantly to the leadership role on Boxing Day and he had a clear impact on the shape and discipline of the team. He also slotted a few inch perfect passes on a number of occasions that quickly shifted the momentum of play in our favour.

As an aside, he also, with his mum, came and helped out with the ground clean-up day and was very happy to get stuck in. He was a huge hit with the junior rabble and was happy to take the time to have photos taken with them and provide autographs. In short, he has everything that you’d hope for from a club captain. Even if that role is not permanent for now, I think he has established himself as a major influence and senior player within the team.

Michael reminds me of Ethan Pinnock in the way he carries himself on and off the field - which is high praise indeed. Not flash but with a quiet authority that is very impressive.

2. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Spot on.

pompeydunc likes this.
  3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Quite simply, one of the best pro- player posts I have ever read.

the 12th man and pompeydunc like this.
  4. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

But instead of "Barbra Streisand", you say "Michael Chambers"

5. Pthorne

Pthorne Well-Known Member

From where I was standing in the 1st half you could here Chambers talking Onovwigun through the game. Constantly encouraging him which I’m sure helped Onovwigun in a position which is not his natural one.

pompeydunc likes this.
  6. dcdulwich

Thanks Mish. Very touched by that assessment. Really very much appreciated.

7. Jules P

Jules P #noprestonnoparty

Anyone know whether Kargbo is injured at the moment?

8. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

I heard a rumour he had left. No idea if substantiated.

Only change from Boxing Day is Tomlin replaces Taylor on the bench.

9. dcdulwich

Nothing.
    pompeydunc fucked up my posting with his fernickity pernickity random interference.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    pompeydunc likes this.
  10. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Sorry not been here for a few few days due to family issues. I actually agree with you. It is up to the attackers. If they wait for the referee to take control it is up to them. The referee should clamp down on persistent misconduct. It is quite appropriate to caution someone for persistent misconduct by a team - after a warning - even if it is their first foul.

A good referee should spot that tactic. Sadly I think refereeing is struggling to keep up with standards in non league. The pool of referred is shrinking due to the appalling abuse etc lower down. (I retired after moving from a statistically safe place to ref, three hospitalisation out of the hundred or so active refs in two seasons, to a statistically dangerous place.) That is showing on standards. We now alsoatake out 70 or so good refs each to wave around substitution boards rather than referee. FA have also regimented too much if a ref wants promotion which takes out the individual refs - Eddie Green for old rabblers. Incidentally Eddie retired at half time after an on pitch assault. The standard of fitness has also improved in my time around non league and this is causing issues for refs who will typically cover more ground than any player .

Edited to add the bit I lost when my phone threw a hissy fit.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  11. Roger D

12. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

Cheers for the response. I’ve watched the goal again (highlights) and it does look like our entire team had fallen asleep. However, what is interesting is the Eastbourne player rolls the ball to where the foul roughly occurs and passes it short immediately. Normally players put the ball down or put their hand on the ball to ensure it’s stopped moving before any free kick is taken and as the referee was not looking he couldn’t be sure if the ball was still before it had been kicked. I think the ball was still moving (can’t be sure).

I can understand a decline in referees at non-league level, I’ve read a lot of stories. Dulwich play a brand of football different to most teams in this league but don’t get as much protection from referees in the final third as teams do in the Premiere League. Salah’s two penalties yesterday. The penalty Maddison won for Leicester. I thought they were all soft initially but that’s because I’m used to watching Nyren get tugged and pulled every week. On reflection though it shows that if you start protecting players you can improve the way the game is played. Food for thought.

13. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Pompeydunc is a dangerous seditionist who wishes to rename parts of our historic home in honour of local small businesses. He is not to be trusted.

pompeydunc likes this.
  14. dcdulwich

To be fair he told me to get off my phone and drink my beer which is unfailingly sound advice. Then he randomly tapped my screen before launching an unerringIy accurate finger at the ‘Post Reply’ button. So it was random nonsense. And, yes, I know what you’re thinking...

15. Roger D