Hamlet v Concord Rangers, League, Saturday 17 August 2019, 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Another home league game already, so an opportunity to bounce back from Tuesday's defeat at Hemel Hempstead. Dom Vose begins a 3 match suspension, but Ben Chapman is available to replace him after completing his own 4 match suspension carried over from last season.

Visitors Concord Rangers will also be looking to recover from their first setback by silencing our "raucous" home crowd!

Beach Boys seek return to fine form at Dulwich

StephenMac likes this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

0-1 already :(

3. editor

editor hiraethified

Make that 0-2

4. editor

editor hiraethified

'Psychologically damaging' goal by Hamlet with the last kick of the first half. 1-2.

5. editor

editor hiraethified

2-2. Oh yes indeedy.

ftg6 likes this.
  6. ftg6

ftg6 Member

How we playing? Couldn't make it today

7. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I thought that was a rather sloppy performance against visitors who seemed happier attacking than defending. Tactically it was a much more open game than the other two at home. The draw was a fair result, we weren't worth more than that. Our first goal right on half time was crucial and meant we could come out for the second half really believing we could get something. However we almost got caught on the break a couple of times at the end after withdrawing Ijaha to send on an extra forward, which left us very vulnerable to Concord's counter-attacking.

We fell behind after Barnes was penalised for manhandling an opponent on the corner of the box and Maynard-Brewer spilled an inswinging free kick at the far post for a simple finish. A second Concord goal arrived when we lost possession on the halfway line and a slick passing move unravelled our defence for another easy finish from inside the box. We'd wasted a few chances against a defence that looked less solid than most in this division, but right on half time Hamlet were back in the game when a move begun by White intercepting a pass on the edge of our own box ended seconds later with Mills heading home Monakana's cross at the far post. After the break Mills hit the crossbar with a header from a corner before equalising midway through the half with another towering header from a right wing cross.

Team (4-2-3-1): Maynard-Brewer - Barnes, Orlu, Taylor, Connors - Ijaha, Chapman - Monakana, Monlouis, White - Mills. Subs: Clunis (for White), Yusuff (for Ijaha). Unused subs: Smith, Case, Ambroisine.
    Attendance: 1,521

8. editor

editor hiraethified

9. Ben Caldecourt

Ben Caldecourt Active Member

A game of two halves really. Had we not have scored right at the death of the first half, I don't think we'd have walked away with a point. Concord are up there, but I've seen them twice now and haven't been impressed either time. Nouble, the big lad on the left, caused us a few problems but I'm not sure he's any good. Sheriff was in and out of the game but never showed any real threat and their defence is the worst I've seen in the league so far.

I was excited to see Chapman starting, but if I'm honest I wasn't that impressed. I really liked him in pre-season, but he looked a little bit off match sharpness Saturday which isn't a huge surprise I guess given he has missed the first four. Happy to see Ijaha back in the side, he's an absolute beast. I'm slowly starting to like Orlu more and more, he obviously isn't a ball playing centre half but he defends. I thought that Monakana was excellent, it's good to see us have a winger that actually wants to cross the ball and is very good at it as well. I'm glad White is getting minutes, want to see more from him but I'm happy he's getting the chance. Don't even get me started on Danny Mills, his overall game is excellent and although I don't think he had the greatest first half on Saturday he definitely made up for it in the second. I'd say we were worthy of a point and could have possibly got a few more goals as well. Both sides hit the post but I do think we had the better of the game. At 2-0 down, I'd have taken a point though so not all bad.

Next up Eastbourne Borough who are playing off the back of a 5-0 loss to Braintree. I'd love to go there and destroy them, because I'm not 100% sure why but I really don't like them.

Ronco, pettyboy, editor and 1 other person like this.