Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Braintree Town, Saturday 4 January 2020, 3pm

PartisanDulwich

Truly shocking how confident and good the Hamlet were today
Some absolutely stunning performances
Mullings, Monakana, Chapman, Dylan and many more......
Felt for the Braintree fans - even their players were desperately asking the lineman how long left for the last 10 minutes
That said they did hit the bar with a header in the first few minutes - to give us an early scare
Braintree looked shockingly poor for most of the game, worst team we have played this season (no offense meant to their 50+ fans - who despite various upheavals obviously still travel and loyally support their team )
Hamlet up to 15th (as Eastbourne drew and stay 14th) 14th is where we ended last Season

another great attendance 2,730 - The young school kids next to me in the TO Stand really enjoyed their first game - of course they have gone away expecting 6 goals every week
Average attendance this season so far 2,190 (Last season 1,860)

"Building collective memories" to quote this months excellent Forward the Hamlet podcast (recommended)

It's just great that we can offer such pleasure too so many people in our community, at an affordable price - and on days like this, the Season doesn't seem so bad

Can't wait to see the goals on DHFCTV and relive the game (another great service the Club provide - thanks to Tom & Jamal) and report from Mike at Brixton Buzz

Roll on 2020

Last edited:

PartisanDulwich

Quade Taylor (6') Shamir Mullings (20') Shamir Mullings (28') Jeffrey Monakana (45' pen) Danny Mills (80') Jeffrey Monakana (82')

Biggest win for the Hamlet in the Vanarama National League South

Stuart Fordyce

Thought Quade was terrific in the first half - a real captain's performance. Drove the team on, strong in the tackle and rarely wasted a pass. Took his goal well too.

Braintree were honking at the back but we still had to go out to beat them (and did). Ainsworth looked a different class at times today, and I'd hate to play against Dylan - what a handful he is - a constant nuisance. As for Jeffrey's second goal...oooft!

Spoke to a couple of Braintree fans in the queue for a tea at half time. Asked if their left back was injured to get subbed so early. They replied that he was just shite! Their front line actually looked reasonably capable but the midfield and defence wouldn't get a game for the Sunday League side I used to turn out for.

Taper

Mark McGann
As it happens I do work for the National Lottery. But not on the numbers side. We did pretty much sell out of scarves today. Incredible stuff. Although I’m not cut out for retail tbf. And the game was perfect. The team have turned a corner. The discipline, defence and camaraderie was top drawer. Play offs I’m telling you.

Last edited:

the 12th man

I need facts! When was the last time we won by such a hefty margin in the league? I think it's the biggest win I've seen at Champion Hill since I first started coming some 12 years ago, but I could well be wrong.
I'm sure PP will sure up the info for this. The last time I can remember off the top of my head was about 2009 away to Crowborough.

Al Cunningham

Brockley Hamlet
Perfect day yesterday. Although many players stepped up to the mark in the last 2 games, Kearney has been exceptional. Does the work of 2 forwards and his twisting and turning constantly causes problems for defenders. Also shows great skill and awareness. Also liked the way he was disappointed not to be able to take the penalty but accepted it and cheered on Jeff.

Also I think yesterday proved that 2,700 represents our maximum enjoyable capacity. Ground looked great and I could see and also walk round the perimeter

All in all great day out !!

Pink Panther

We beat Barking & East Ham United in the Ryman First Division (2001-2002) 7-1 at Champion Hill
There was also an 8-1 at home to Godalming Town in 2006/7, as well as the 6-0 at Cray already mentioned.

That was a perfect storm yesterday. A Hamlet side buoyed by the confidence of a good away win on New Year's Day, a bumper home crowd on a pleasantly mild and sunny afternoon for the time of year, against a visiting side bottom of the current form table and reduced to shopping for new players at Isthmian level or picking up others' cast offs. Their captain was in the East Thurrock side relegated from this division last year, and whilst he did his best to hold it together at the back those alongside him just weren't up to the job. The left back looked all at sea and was tactically withdrawn inside half an hour shortly before we went three goals ahead.

It might have been a closer contest had Braintree taken an early lead when a looping header bounced off the top of our crossbar, but that was as close as they came to scoring. We'd barely played more that five minutes when a defender left a ball that appeared to be going out of play, only for Ainsworth to retrieve it on the byline and take advantage of unlimited time and space to chip a beautifully measured cross to the far post where Taylor headed into the net from point blank range. The visitors had one other decent chance to get themselves back into the game when a glancing header flashed wide of the far post, but from then on it was a rout. I'm not certain whether it was Vose or Ainsworth who played a stunning crossfield pass to release Chapman on an overlapping run down the right, his square pass into the centre of the box resulted in a shot being blocked, then Mullings stepped forward to convert the loose ball for 2-0 on 20 minutes. Less than ten minutes later the big man bagged another, brilliantly taking a long ball over the top in his stride, accelerating into the box and slipping his shot past the keeper. Right on half time it was 4-0 from a Monakana penalty as Kearney tumbled under a careless challenge just inside the box.

Much of the second half was predictably played at a less urgent attacking pace by the Hamlet although Kearney was clearly very keen to sustain his record of scoring in consecutive matches, coming close a couple of times. As was often the case in these situations in our Isthmian League days when the game was already in the bag, a raft of substitutions midway thorough the second half was the catalyst for a couple more goals. With ten minutes to go two of the replacements combined to make it five as Ijaha won the ball in the centre and played in Mills to stride forward and confidently place his shot past the advancing keeper. The best was saved until last when Monakana tricked his way into the box from wide on the left and found the net with an explosive rising shot that went in off the underside of the crossbar.

I still think this particular starting XI (the same as at Hampton) looks lightweight on paper and potentially vulnerable against anyone who can deny us possession, but I kept thinking that during our Division 1 South championship campaign seven seasons ago when the holding midfielders were converted striker/winger Kevin James and slender teenager Xavier Vidal, and our bench often consisted of player-coach Junior Kadi plus four teenagers, but on that occasion sheer footballing quality was triumphant. Next up is a trip to Weymouth, one of this season's more impressive visitors to Champion Hill, followed by the visit of a Chippenham side with whom we've already had three tight matches this season, but who have recently slipped to the brink of the relegation places.

Team (4-4-2): Grainger - Chapman, Debrah, C.Smith, Barnes - Monakana, Taylor (c), Vose, Ainsworth - Mullings, Kearney.
Subs: Ijaha (for Mullings), Clunis (for Ainsworth), Mills (for Kearney), Hunte, N.Smith (not used).
Attendance: 2,730

StephenMac

There was also an 8-1 at home to Godalming Town in 2006/7, as well as the 6-0 at Cray already mentioned.

That was a perfect storm yesterday. A Hamlet side buoyed by the confidence of a good away win on New Year's Day, a bumper home crowd on a pleasantly mild and sunny afternoon for the time of year, against a visiting side bottom of the current form table and reduced to shopping for new players at Isthmian level or picking up others' cast offs. Their captain was in the East Thurrock side relegated from this division last year, and whilst he did his best to hold it together at the back those alongside him just weren't up to the job. The left back looked all at sea and was tactically withdrawn inside half an hour shortly before we went three goals ahead.

It might have been a closer contest had Braintree taken an early lead when a looping header bounced off the top of our crossbar, but that was as close as they came to scoring. We'd barely played more that five minutes when a defender left a ball that appeared to be going out of play, only for Ainsworth to retrieve it on the byline and take advantage of unlimited time and space to chip a beautifully measured cross to the far post where Taylor headed into the net from point blank range. The visitors had one other decent chance to get themselves back into the game when a glancing header flashed wide of the far post, but from then on it was a rout. I'm not certain whether it was Vose or Ainsworth who played a stunning crossfield pass to release Chapman on an overlapping run down the right, his square pass into the centre of the box resulted in a shot being blocked, then Mullings stepped forward to convert the loose ball for 2-0 on 20 minutes. Less than ten minutes later the big man bagged another, brilliantly taking a long ball over the top in his stride, accelerating into the box and slipping his shot past the keeper. Right on half time it was 4-0 from a Monakana penalty as Kearney tumbled under a careless challenge just inside the box.

Much of the second half was predictably played at a less urgent attacking pace by the Hamlet although Kearney was clearly very keen to sustain his record of scoring in consecutive matches, coming close a couple of times. As was often the case in these situations in our Isthmian League days when the game was already in the bag, a raft of substitutions midway thorough the second half was the catalyst for a couple more goals. With ten minutes to go two of the replacements combined to make it five as Ijaha won the ball in the centre and played in Mills to stride forward and confidently place his shot past the advancing keeper. The best was saved until last when Monakana tricked his way into the box from wide on the left and found the net with an explosive rising shot that went in off the underside of the crossbar.

I still think this particular starting XI (the same as at Hampton) looks lightweight on paper and potentially vulnerable against anyone who can deny us possession, but I kept thinking that during our Division 1 South championship campaign seven seasons ago when the holding midfielders were converted striker/winger Kevin James and slender teenager Xavier Vidal, and our bench often consisted of player-coach Junior Kadi plus four teenagers, but on that occasion sheer footballing quality was triumphant. Next up is a trip to Weymouth, one of this season's more impressive visitors to Champion Hill, followed by the visit of a Chippenham side with whom we've already had three tight matches this season, but who have recently slipped to the brink of the relegation places.

Team (4-4-2): Grainger - Chapman, Debrah, C.Smith, Barnes - Monakana, Taylor (c), Vose, Ainsworth - Mullings, Kearney.
Subs: Ijaha (for Mullings), Clunis (for Ainsworth), Mills (for Kearney), Hunte, N.Smith (not used).
Attendance: 2,730
Was definitely Ainsworth with that exquisite pass to Chapman for the second. Ball of the season.

editor

hiraethified

steeplejack

Reluctant Hardliner
Braintree absolutely honking at the moment-a few years of punching well above their weight under the Cowleys and then going straight back up under Brad Quinton seems to have emptied their biscuit tin.

Appointing a neanderthal like Borg and losing all good players to be replaced by a rapidly shifting cast of journeymen creates a grim scenario. Isthmian League beckoning I suspect.

Raymondo

Agree with the points made about Kearny, he was a constant pest all game. Good old 4-4-2, for me looked so much more balanced all round. Our two wide players made a significant contribution with a couple of goals and assists between them. Back four looked much more solid and I particularly liked Grainger save late in the second half from a long range shot that kept our clean sheet in tact. Up front looked so much better with 2 up top. Numerous occasions our forwards pressing resulted in forced errors by their back four which allowed the whole team to play more in the opponents half of the pitch. Great result although Weymouth away will prove a much sterner test.

Pink Panther

Does anyone actually collate Dulwich Hamlet FC stats ?
Yes. John Lawrence is the club statistician/historian and programme editor. He's very thorough and meticulous but I don't think you'll find him on social media.

Braintree absolutely honking at the moment-a few years of punching well above their weight under the Cowleys and then going straight back up under Brad Quinton seems to have emptied their biscuit tin.

Appointing a neanderthal like Borg and losing all good players to be replaced by a rapidly shifting cast of journeymen creates a grim scenario. Isthmian League beckoning I suspect.
It was originally Alan Devonshire who took them into the National Division and established them there before the Cowley brothers picked up the baton and ran with it. Fluking the play-offs under Quinton two years ago was possibly the worst thing that could have happened. He built a very good young side at Enfield Town who may have pushed us for second place in our promotion season had he stayed and kept them together. Braintree clearly never likely to pull regular four figure crowds and there seem to be more and more other clubs pulling bigger crowds or attracting more investment of one sort or another.

Borg looks a desperate appointment. He was a successful manager with several clubs in the nineties but seemed to lose his touch at Aldershot Town, whose rise from the ashes stalled for several years under Borg before Terry Brown took them from the Isthmian Premier to the Football League in quick time.

He must be in his sixties now and I don't think he's worked at this level since a previous spell at Braintree around a decade ago.

They may only need another 15 points or less to stay up. With Hungerford now adrift and the likes of Chippenham and Welling also in freefall they may get lucky, but that may just delay the inevitable until next year.

steeplejack

Reluctant Hardliner
Yes. John Lawrence is the club statistician/historian and programme editor. He's very thorough and meticulous but I don't think you'll find him on social media.

It was originally Alan Devonshire who took them into the National Division and established them there before the Cowley brothers picked up the baton and ran with it. Fluking the play-offs under Quinton two years ago was possibly the worst thing that could have happened. He built a very good young side at Enfield Town who may have pushed us for second place in our promotion season had he stayed and kept them together. Braintree clearly never likely to pull regular four figure crowds and there seem to be more and more other clubs pulling bigger crowds or attracting more investment of one sort or another.

Borg looks a desperate appointment. He was a successful manager with several clubs in the nineties but seemed to lose his touch at Aldershot Town, whose rise from the ashes stalled for several years under Borg before Terry Brown took them from the Isthmian Premier to the Football League in quick time.

He must be in his sixties now and I don't think he's worked at this level since a previous spell at Braintree around a decade ago.

They may only need another 15 points or less to stay up. With Hungerford now adrift and the likes of Chippenham and Welling also in freefall they may get lucky, but that may just delay the inevitable until next year.
Great post. I’d forgotten all about Devonshire’s time there...he seems to have been at Maidenhead for ever.

In addition to being desperate I suspect Borg is also cheap. After all if you’ve not worked at this level for a long time you’re not going to be able to negotiate a big wage. Borg was a machine for getting teams promoted but football has changed so much since he was at his peak in the 90s.

Anyway as you say Braintree will have to hope they shitfest their way to survival and re-assess in the summer.

On a side note saw the Dartford-Welling double header over Christmas. Amazing how far Welling have fallen this season-they were utterly dreadful in both games. Steve King will have enjoyed that and he’s got his new team looking sharp. Darren McQueen and Eliot Romain really a cracking pairing up front.

Pink Panther

Great post. I’d forgotten all about Devonshire’s time there...he seems to have been at Maidenhead for ever.

In addition to being desperate I suspect Borg is also cheap. After all if you’ve not worked at this level for a long time you’re not going to be able to negotiate a big wage. Borg was a machine for getting teams promoted but football has changed so much since he was at his peak in the 90s.

Anyway as you say Braintree will have to hope they shitfest their way to survival and re-assess in the summer.

On a side note saw the Dartford-Welling double header over Christmas. Amazing how far Welling have fallen this season-they were utterly dreadful in both games. Steve King will have enjoyed that and he’s got his new team looking sharp. Darren McQueen and Eliot Romain really a cracking pairing up front.
Devonshire was originally at Maidenhead around 20 years ago when they were at Isthmian Division 1 level. Then he took Hampton from that level to the brink of the National Division before going to Braintree around a decade ago.

Welling seem to have a tiny Tamplin with Mark Goldberg as chairman/manager. It appears that he pays the wages and wants the involvement and glory of managing the team with a yes man to look after the technical stuff. King does seem consistently adept at getting results, hence he can pick and choose jobs that suit him. It's only two seasons since Dratford had the highest average attendance in this division and missed winning it on goal difference.