Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Braintree Town, Saturday 4 January 2020, 3pm

Pink Panther

A home game against a side with the worst defensive record in the division and bottom of the current form table. They've had a number of heavy defeats throughout the season, both before and after their previous manager Glen Driver resigned citing budget constraints, with one time Hamlet player George Borg now in charge. At the time of Driver's departure they were within touching distance of the play-off places, but a Hamlet win will take us above them. It would certainly be useful to get back-to-back league wins on the board for the first time since the opening fortnight of the season. Apart from obviously needing the points anyway, I'd like to see a bit more hard evidence that we can consistently get the sort of result we achieved at Hampton.

Cat Daisy

Although the Braintree Chair was keen to dismiss the issue of budget constraints and hint that Driver had been getting flak from fans and needed to develop a thicker skin! Driver seems to have turned things round at Leiston since going back there, anyway.
FWIW and keeping up the Southern Central theme, two of Braintree's likely starters on Saturday - Michael Johnson and Lucas Kirkpatrick - were voted into Hitchin Town's "Team of the Decade" that was announced this week:

Pink Panther

Mad George Borg. Didn't know he'd played for the Hamlet.
He played a season and a half under Alan Smith in the late seventies. The committee ordered Smith to transfer list him because he swore too much during matches and he was sold to Wycombe Wanderers. He was a decent player at left back or left midfield, a sort of Jack Connors type.

StephenMac

He played a season and a half under Alan Smith in the late seventies. The committee ordered Smith to transfer list him because he swore too much during matches and he was sold to Wycombe Wanderers. He was a decent player at left back or left midfield, a sort of Jack Connors type.
Interesting. I've only known him as a controversy-magnet of a manager.

Pink Panther

Interesting. I've only known him as a controversy-magnet of a manager.
He seems to be a bit of a pantomime villain as a manager. I recall him running down the touchline flicking V signs at the Rabble when his Aldershot side scored in stoppage time at Champion Hill around twenty years ago. He looked so ridiculous everyone just laughed at him.

There was also an occasion when he apparently picked a fight with former Hamlet manager (and former professional boxer) Craig Edwards in the car park after a match and came off second best. I believe that happened in his first spell at Braintree when Edwards was manager of Chelmsford.

StephenMac

He seems to be a bit of a pantomime villain as a manager. I recall him running down the touchline flicking V signs at the Rabble when his Aldershot side scored in stoppage time at Champion Hill around twenty years ago. He looked so ridiculous everyone just laughed at him.

There was also an occasion when he apparently picked a fight with former Hamlet manager (and former professional boxer) Craig Edwards in the car park after a match and came off second best. I believe that happened in his first spell at Braintree when Edwards was manager of Chelmsford.
Went a bit beyond pantomime villain with "You may be winning, but Hitler is going to deal with you" to Wingate supporters a few years ago though.

JimW

支那暗杀团
See you've got Shamir in. He was truly terrible and out of his depth for us even as I willed him to do well but seem to recall he was OK at your level with Chelmsford (IIRC) and nice to see him get on the score sheet straight off. Seemed like a nice bloke too (though did have one loan end early after a fight in a nightclub!)

editor

hiraethified
I need facts! When was the last time we won by such a hefty margin in the league? I think it's the biggest win I've seen at Champion Hill since I first started coming some 12 years ago, but I could well be wrong.