Hamburg Air Raid Shelter visit

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, May 8, 2018.

1. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I thought this was worth opening a thread in its own right, even though I have mentioned it elsewhere. As part of the varied programme of events for the Hamburg trip in July, I have organised a group visit on the Saturday morning (14 July) at 11:00 to the Air Raid Shelter Museum at Hamm as per the link at the bottom of this page. Because of the somewhat restricted space in the shelter, groups are limited in size to 30 people (I might be able to squeeze it up slightly), so this will be on a strictly 'first come, first served' basis. So far the following people have expressed their interest to me (I've used forum names where I know them):

Dulwich Mishi
    Pete Campbell, Alison, Paul and Sam
    Kevin Harrington
    Tim Goddard & Alana
    Pete Dodge
    Pete Lyons

I know there are others who have mentioned it to me but in my invariably befuddled condition, I may well have forgotten the names - if you're interested in attending this, please just let me know via this thread. I will also post something similar on The Moral Victory FB page.

I'd anticipate us meeting at around 10:45 at Rauhes Haus U-Bahn Station (lines U2 and U4), which is on Hammer Landstrasse and about 5/10 minutes walk to the shelter. There are around 20-30 steps down (and back up) to the shelter, so if you're not that mobile, or suffer from claustrophobia, then this might not be for you. Once I have a definite list of attendees, I will see everyone who is going at the Friday night match and finalise the details.

Cost-wise, I propose charging 10 Euros per person for this. I've already covered the cost, so will re-imburse myself and then any surplus we make will be donated to the 12th Man.

Hamburg had a rough time of it during WW2 and it is somewhat ironic that we will be visiting the city almost on the 75th anniversary of the "Gomorrah" raids from 1943 which devastated the city. It is also relevant to us as two of our war dead on the Roll of Honour served in Bomber Command as aircrew and one of them, Ron Ebsworth, died during a mission to Hamburg in 1941. Doubly relevant as Adolf Jager, after whom Altona's stadium is named, was killed on bomb disposal work in 1944. The museum is a fascinating place, very "anti-war" as you'd imagine but also very pragmatic in its understanding of why Hamburg was bombed in the first place.

Look forward to seeing a few of you there.

Stadtteilinitiative Hamm e.V. — The Air-Raid Shelter Museum

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  2. Bill Azzi

Bill Azzi I am not a trademark.

I've had the good fortune to be able to visit this shelter, it's a very interesting place. If I were able to go on the tour to Hamburg I would definitely sign up for this visit, even though I've been there before.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Blitzwalker and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  3. Blitzwalker

I’ll be bumping this post occasionally so that it remains visible and allows anyone to book their space(s) on the trip. Apologies to the person who approached me at Leatherhead the other week just after I’d arrived. You wanted to come on this trip and I’ve forgotten who you were! Sorry, just let me know on here and I’ll add your name to the list. FC9645AB-1539-47E9-89EE-9BF6DA91F28B.jpeg

4. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

The Keith Lowe book on it 'Inferno' is a good read. From what I remember it was one of the few times Bomber Command unequivocally achieved its aim, due to a combination of the weather, and (from memory) wooden buildings.

Dulwich Mishi and Blitzwalker like this.
  5. Blitzwalker

Yes the Keith Lowe book is excellent as is Martin Middlebrook’s “Battle of Hamburg”. The first three (of four) RAF raids were an unqualified success from their point of view. The use of ‘Window’ (for the first time in action) threw off the night fighters, weeks of dry weather, accurate target marking and bombing attacks pressed home with little or no ‘creep-back’ ensured devastating results. The final raid coincided with a heavy thunderstorm which ensured that very few aircraft reached the target, although by then the real damage had already been done.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Dulwich Mishi and Hollis like this.
  6. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

Steve.

Just saw this. We spoke at the Kingstonian time and chatted a few times before. (Including Braintree coach) I have 9 interested including me in the tour. Let me know how many you have room for.

Best wishes

Alastair

Noss and Blitzwalker like this.
  7. Blitzwalker

Hi Alastair. Thanks mate, I remember it was you now - I must be getting old as I’d had a complete mental block. No problem, consider it booked for all 9 of you. That will take us up to around 23/24 people, so still space for others to book.

Anticipated meeting time/place and cost as at head of this page but I’ll confirm everything with you at the Friday night football.

Cheers, Steve

8. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

Steve

That's great. Many thanks

Alastair

Blitzwalker likes this.
  9. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Steve , please add Ken and me to the list. Thanks

Blitzwalker likes this.
  10. Blitzwalker

Done!

We’re up to 26 now, so we still have four spaces left but thanks for your support of this event everyone.

darryl and Noss like this.
  11. Blitzwalker

As the Hamburg trip is getting ever closer, I just thought I'd bump this to remind anyone who might want to still come along - we do still have a few spaces left. I've got a list of those who have booked (26 in total) but not sure of everyone's forum names, so sorry if I use your real name instead below:

Dulwich Mishi
    Noss (and party)
    Cliff Stephens
    darryl
    Al Cunningham (and party)
    Fingers
    Pete Lyons
    Kevin Harrington
    Tim Goddard & Alana
    Terry & Thomas
    Peter Dodge

I’d like us to meet at Rauhes Haus U-Bahn Station at 10:45 please. The museum has been booked for 11:00 but this will give us time to gather everyone together and to then cross the main road (Hammer Landstrasse) and walk the five minutes or so to the museum. If anyone thinks they are going to be late, they can then make their own way across to the museum using the map below but they may miss the start of the tour. I will be collecting 10 Euros per head in order to cover the cost of the tour – any surplus will be donated to the 12th Man.

Rauhes Haus is on U-Bahn lines U2 and U4, both of which connect from pretty well anywhere you might be staying in the city.

I'll be at the Friday night football, so will try and catch up with everyone then.

The shelter visit will involve descending about 30 steps (and hopefully coming back up afterwards) and should last no more than around 90 minutes. There will also be a brief period where the shelter lights are turned down. If we can meet on time, I’ll try and give some brief background on the Gomorrah raids of July/August 1943 and the impact on the local area in particular but I don’t want to steal our guide Gunnar’s thunder as he will no doubt tell us much more.

Shelter Map.jpg

12. TonyWalt

TonyWalt Active Member

Are the timings still the same for this visit to the museum? The cricket match at 10am or noon will clash?

13. all to nah

all to nah Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'm very sorry, but the cricket will start at 11am (at the other side of town). The clash wasn't intended by Steve nor me - the weekend is just too short for all the interests, we're sharing.

Thimble Queen and Blitzwalker like this.
  14. Blitzwalker

Yes, as all to nah says, there’s rather too many events to cram in. The shelter museum only does private tours in the morning. I booked it some months ago thinking that the cricket would be in the afternoon (as with cricket in the U.K.) I just had to make a judgement call. The tour will take around 60-90 minutes tops, so if you still want to come, you can do so and there will still be time to catch the second innings of the cricket.

clog likes this.
  15. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

am anticipating a long, attritional innings from pompeydunc which will result in the game lasting through the night, illuminated by car headlights

16. Blitzwalker

You get nowt from sloggin’ #digin