1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Moon Herne Hill reopening

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Fingers, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

That'll be why the owner of The Regent was in there then (pretty sure it was him). Must have just missed you. I left about an hour ago. It was busy for a lunchtime in Herne Hill but chilled.

I think they've done a fantastic job. It's really quite a beautiful space. And a array of beers. Good mix of folk coming and going from builders, to people working on laptops, to mum's with prams.

Not convinced by the corrugated iron shacks out back. I like the aesthetic but doesn't quite fit in. Feels a bit too on trend.

2. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

They sent out a tweet saying there was a 'dry run' for local residents and to email them if you wanted to go. I assumed it would be oversubscribed but i got an email straight back saying come and bring a plus 1*. I was gonna post it on here but i totally forgot cos i'm a muppet, apols, my bad :oops:

*I actually managed to 'smuggle' little hatter in as well as ms hatter, they were pretty laidback.

3. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

thats the problem with not using twitter.

4. Brixton Hatter

I was in there again on Thursday night - really busy again. Nice vibe, reasonably mixed crowd (for Herne Hill) I guess, and all ages from 18 to 70. But we literally didn't recognise anyone from any other pubs in Herne Hill, or any other locals. Massive suppressed demand I reckon: people who live nearby who probably don't go to the pub much but want to check out the new place. Lots of restaurant customers - that's clearly where they're aiming to make their money back.

We also got chucked out at the end of the evening in the nicest, most polite way possible. We got a 10 min warning for last orders, then every 5 mins the staff came over to say, "Sir, just to let you know, we're closing in 20/15/10/5 minutes, hope you've had a great evening..." etc etc, it was quite funny, bless.

5. Brixton Hatter

don't worry, you're not missing much (unless you like endless arguments about Trump and people moaning about being in queues etc.)

6. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The Dulwich Estate regs means the back garden has to close at 10.30 which will be a challenge come summer.

The other locals were heaving today, so there seems to be enough demand.

It's biggest threat might be the dog reopening.

7. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Went down yesterday (twice). It looks amazing but meh. Maybe it will grow on me when it has quietened down a bit. All the old regulars were in the Commercial. Nice to have a new beer garden though and with the high wooden fences at the front beer garden makes it less like you are drinking next to a busy road.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  8. friendofdorothy

if only people would tell me about the free beer tweets that would be fine

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  9. friendofdorothy

can we coordinate an old regulars meet up in there soon please

Brixton Hatter and editor like this.
  10. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Yes deffo

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I want to take a look ASAP. Maybe I'll stroll up on Wednesday night.

madolesance likes this.
  12. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Done a great job on the place.

Staff are attentive.

Not cheap (but I never expected it to be)

Atmosphere is ok....real mix of folk in here....lots of toddlers and babies even at this time of day.

I'll pop in now and again.

bossykate and editor like this.
  13. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I went back. It's shit.

14. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Popped into the Half Moon Saturday. It was packed with kids, and pushchairs, and really wasn't that enjoyable.

I'm sure they are making lots of money though.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a far cry from the rock bands of the past:

16. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

The Alma in Crystal Palace now does this too - I don't think its a meal deal but still expensive.

17. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Went in there for a drink recently -- was the local for years of friends who live nearby. Three pints cost £16.10. Times have certainly changed.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wow. That is a rip. I'll be giving the place a miss, then.

twistedAM likes this.
  19. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

What were the 3 pints?

20. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

One cider, two bitter. Can't remember what exactly but nothing specially unusual or interesting.

21. Rushy

2 pints of Island Record IPA: £12.10 :eek:
    And I had to ask for it to be topped up!

22. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Fuck that shit

editor likes this.
  23. twistedAM

Wow, I looked that up and its only 4.5%. I was expecting a 6+ at that price.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd expect it to come in a cut glass goblet at that price. I can't enjoy a drink when I'm being ripped off so I won't be paying a visit to the place any time soon.

sealion likes this.
  25. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

That's an expensive evening if there's a few of you in a round and can put it away.

Rushy likes this.
  26. friendofdorothy

They don't have a bar price list - or didn't when I've asked. They only a have drinks menu with price of wines/ some bottles - no prices for any draught stuff. I'm sure that is illegal. And most staff don't know the price of the ales either.

If I go in there now I routinely ask - how much is this one, and this one, and this and this one? or as I did recently - 'which is your cheapest ale?' he had to check on the till - it was £4 for the Seafarer.

Smick and snowy_again like this.
  27. Rushy

I didn't mention that it's labeled as a session ale. When did almost export strength become session ale? :eek:

I'm such a lightweight these days that if I'm checking the abv it's only to make sure that I'll manage more than one pint! :oops:

28. twistedAM

Yeah I go for red or golden ales quite a to as they are weak and when I want IPA I check %; some of them are over 6%.

29. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Pricey is my experience too. Last time I was there we headed to Canopy after 1pint.

30. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

This is why we need to forget about all this craft beer nonsense and get back to proper British bitter at 4% max.

I learnt this week that the phrase “1 over the 8” comes from the idea that your average drinker should be able to manage 8 pints. Not at 6% they can’t.

friendofdorothy likes this.