1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Moon Herne Hill reopening

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Fingers, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

None of those people will be banned from the new pub, the new management won't have a clue who they are. I will personally invite one armed Keith for a pint when it's opened, but I can imagine he wouldn't want to stay long if it's gone proper gastro.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  3. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I'm looking forward to seeing the old regulars again in there

4. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I wonder if those people featured in the infamous 'banned' list will be given a clean slate... :D

5. friendofdorothy

well apart from one-armed-Keith, who is easy to spot, how could they possible know who they were? shh! don't tell them who they are.

6. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I guess Mickey'd best ensure he always wears the same suit when he visits the place.

7. Brixton Hatter

Looking forward to the pub opening again. The area really misses it.

I'm not too bothered about the lack of live music, the pub is the most important thing - somewhere for us to drink.

In my opinion I think it's a bit of a myth about the live music. Yeah, there's been gigs there over the years, but for most of the time I've been drinking there (mid 90s to present) the back room has hosted DJ nights with very few punters - and where there's been gigs it's been tribute bands like The Australian Doors or similar. More recently I remember Eddie Izzard doing a gig there which was pretty popular. Perhaps it's a shame if they lose the option of having a band on and staying open til 1 or 2am, but at the end of the day, just give me the fukcing pub back :)

I'm resigned to the fact it's gonna be a bit gastro/chain pub. And I'll miss the football, if that's the case. But I'm gonna do my best to dirrty it up, like I'm sure others will do too :cool:

8. friendofdorothy

I've never even seen him wear a suit, so he should be ok.

9. friendofdorothy

No football?

10. Brixton Hatter

I don't know tbh but I think someone earlier up the thread said they hadn't committed to having any sport - I seem to remember them being a bit ambivalent when asked about it on twitter.

11. Brixton Hatter

This is the Half Moon I remember:
    [​IMG]

Though I did notice this on their twitter:

:hmm:

12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

They've been keen to point out on twitter that the lower photo is of the back rooms (what was the function room, and is now restaurant etc.); and that the bars haven't changed.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  13. Brixton Hatter

"Dry run" evening tonight and I've just been in for a few beers. Pretty well oiled. Report coming shortly!

editor and T & P like this.
  14. Brixton Hatter

The pub said on twitter they were having a "dry run" so I asked if I could come and they said yes. About 50 other local residents did the same. I turned up at 5pm and was the first one there, GET IN :cool:

(Ms Hatter almost convinced me that 'dry run' meant there would be no alcohol and just a tour of the revamped building, but she was wrong and no one paid for a drink all night, so fairplay to Fullers.)

Basically the building looks amazing, the front & side bar are pretty much the same as before, but the back has been radically transformed, with the music room turned into a fairly standard gastro-restaurant and the back yard/car park turned into a huge paved garden with outside bar. It's fairly smart, a bit clean & sterile for my taste, but fairplay the builders have done a good job. I reckon they've spent £millions on this.

As you know Half Moon is a beautiful building and the much of the interior is listed - the front bar and side bar look amazing: all the original stained and etched glass is there, clocks & original features retained, wood panelling around the bar has been restored and looks as good as new, the marble-effect red bar is still the same. It looks better than it's ever looked in 20 years imo. My only gripe is the snug bar doesn't have a carpet on the floor (which in my opinion is pure fascism - all decent pubs should have at least a bit of carpet on the floor to keep moaning cunts like me happy ;)

So the building is beautiful, as we know. As a pub? Well......we'll see. 6 real ales on hand pump, lots of local beers (Canopy, Peckham etc) plus all your standard hipster beers and lagers. Poor cider selection. £3.85 for your session beers, couldn't see prices but other pints I reckon £4 plus. £12 ish for meals. Will defo attract the moneyed peeps of Herne Hill. Tonight was a mix of old locals and well-dressed people who work for Fullers. Everyone friendly. It'll never be the old Half Moon (no sports, no pool table, probably a bit 'clean' now) but defo enough to be worth a few pints with your mates on a sunny day. They have the infamous 'banned' list framed behind the bar, but it's not on the wall (yet?) Staff were great and really keen to get to know everyone.

It's not necessarily what everyone wanted but it's alright, and when I first stood at the bar with a beer in my hand, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat, cos it felt like the old days. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  15. friendofdorothy

bugger - why wasn't I invited? hummph.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Innit? :(

17. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Just matching your descriptions to the list :D
    :hmm:

18. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Sounds about what you'd expect really. Like you say it was never going back to what it was.

At least it's still a pub - I'll be in there soon I'm sure.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  19. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The outside space looks interesting.

20. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Just popped my head in. The space is huge now with the garden and 'the workshop' out the back. It's all very tasteful, the features are still there. It's nice, it's full of the well off crowd and there's nothing to mark it out from anywhere else.

It's what I expected and I'm glad it's open in some form but I feel a little sad tbh.

21. friendofdorothy

Unfortunately there is no gobackintimeatron. No return to the days of sticky carpets or 1.30am drinking.

To see all the lights on at long last gladdened my heart. Its lovely to have another pub to go to.

hendo and footballerslegs like this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Popped in for a couple last night and it was really busy. The other pubs of Herne Hill are going to suffer (or the suppressed demand has been gigantic).

Bumbling and slow service, which I am sure will be baptised by fire come the weekend. No crisps. No crisps. (They're on the way)

Brightly lit, fantastic building. Not what it was.
    But better this than flats.

25. friendofdorothy

not sure if other pubs will suffer - the place seems to be packed with people just taking a peek to see what its like or people never seen in a Herne Hill pub before.

Popped in for a pint this lunch time as the Regent was shut. Huge number of people in there eating the full price menu - much the same as the evening menu £11 - £26 for a main course but with sandwiches £7 flatbread - £10 for club.

editor likes this.
  26. friendofdorothy

no beer price list displayed, not that I could see and I did ask. Is that legal?

27. Crispy

It has to be displayed, but it'll just be hidden well.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What kind of prices are the beers/lagers?

29. Crispy

£4.40 for a London Pride, if memory serves. Don't quote me.

30. friendofdorothy

£3.86 for one of the ales but each ale slightly different price. I though the pride was shit when I tried it on sat - tasted like one of those creamflow pints. ESB not available sat or today. No idea about lagers.

Next time I'll make a point of asking how much is this one? and this one? and this one? etc. Then order a gin.

Brixton Hatter, editor and Crispy like this.