1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Moon Herne Hill reopening

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Fingers, Nov 29, 2015.

1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There's a link on the fb link I posted up there ^^^ or I directly linked to it a page or so ago.

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Objections that aren't for material planning reasons are pointless. They will be filtered out by the case officer before any decision is made.

I can't think of any reasons for objection that would actually sway the case, but would love to be proved wrong.

Greebo likes this.
  3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I'm not so fussed about Just William as such - but if they have walked away from HH what sort of business will come next - what sort of business can afford the new rents?

Greebo likes this.
  5. friendofdorothy

There's a lot of us around here who used to drink in there regularly.

Greebo and editor like this.
  6. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yes. Even that aside the idea that a few (or even a lot) more drinkers in a pub would make the different between a pub staying open or closing completely misses the reason why so many pubs have shut. It's not because they can't cover their running costs, it's because they can't bring in the same money as the alternatives - if the Canterbury was packed out every night it still wouldn't have brought in the sort of money that can be made from building a big block of flats in central Brixton these days.

Smick, Greebo, editor and 1 other person like this.
  7. technical

technical stripey

Exactly. The Canterbury was very much a viable business, but couldn't compete with the massive one off profit to be made by selling the land for flats. Unless buildings are protected by long leases or perhaps by being listed, any business in London is vulnerable right now

Greebo, editor and leanderman like this.
  8. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

The Half Moon is a large public house. It would need to atrack a lot of people especially at the weekend to continue as a live music venue. Take the Hoot, it has become a destination music venue for many with live music happening most evenings drawing large crowds at the weekend. Not sure that model would be tolerated in Herne Hill.

9. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

But more who didn't.....

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think they're really comparable. The Hoot has a much later licence for starters, with a large 'mini festival' type outdoor area and is focused on bass heavy music that needs a mighty hefty soundsystem. Why not compare it to venues like the Ivyhouse, Railway, Windmill etc?

11. Monkeygrinder's Organ

The music area is huge at the Hoot - at the Moon it's just a small back room. The music room would never be the main driver of business for the Moon (and I don't think anyone is suggesting it should be) like it is at the Hoot (and the Windmill tbf). I think the Ivy House is a good comparison - it has music as part of its overall aim to serve the community while covering its costs.

ska invita and editor like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep, I think the Railway is a good comparison too. Their live music/DJ nights supplements their drink/food income and drives new people to the pub - and provides press they otherwise wouldn't get. It doesn't have to be banging nightclub type of place - just somewhere where bands can be accommodated a few nights of the week.

ska invita likes this.
  13. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

And just in context - the Railway takeover of The Milkwood being based on restaurant food and supposed higher end customer service to attract a market they thought was in the area hasn't exactly been a success.

leanderman likes this.
  14. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

I know this sounds a bit curmudgeony, but I'd much prefer if the pub reopened with no provision for music. I used to often drink in the Half Moon specifically to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet. Too many London pubs are desperate to assault your senses with DJs and too-bad-to-be-true bands (this is not a dig at Offline, which I've thoroughly enjoyed many times).

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Surely there's ample pubs in the area already providing the quiet you seek? If it opens without music, it's going to be a soulless, identikit gastropub with as much character and personality as a sleeping Cameron.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I thought the Milkwood was doing well? Different thing altogether to the Half Moon though as it was never a pub.

17. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

I live in Herne Hill and haven't had a single pint locally since the Half Moon closed. I'll be over the moon if it reopens, with or without a music provision, although I'd much prefer the latter.

18. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Have you tried The Bullfinch in the arches?

19. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

No lager but plenty beards. I'd rather die.

twistedAM and editor like this.
  20. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Not so beardy as I recall. But might not be for you :D

21. Monkeygrinder's Organ

I don't think whether or not they have bands on in the back room has much to do with whether they play music in the main pub tbh.

I suppose if they got Slayer in it would be quite annoying...

ska invita and editor like this.
  22. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

If it's not the live music, it's the quiz nights or the Sky Sports!

23. choochi

choochi Well-Known Member

Really? It hasn't been a success? It always seems to be busy in there.

editor likes this.
  24. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

25. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Which from my skim, doesn't match the version of events from the Just William owner.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The fact that they don't name any of the "64 pub operators" they supposedly contacted about the Half Moon doesn't inspire confidence either. If they were having trouble finding someone willing to take it on as a live venue, why didn't they let that fact be known?

27. Monkeygrinder's Organ

It's pretty clear they haven't tried isn't it. And to be entirely fair to them they're not claiming to have done there - their contention is that 7 companies expressed an interest in running the pub and none of them expressed an interest in running it as a music venue. I don't actually see any particular reason to think that isn't true, but it's not the same as saying nobody was prepared to run a music venue, just that they didn't actively propose to.

Greebo and madolesance like this.
  28. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

29. friendofdorothy

There was a good crowd considering it was freezing (it began to sleet briefly while I was there). I was amused to watch small children running around to 'stairway to heaven' being played, really well, by some boys who looked about 10 yrs old. Saw Jay Rayner and Jo Brand there showing their support.

Greebo likes this.
  30. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22