Half Moon Herne Hill reopening

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Fingers, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

What exactly do you think they mean by "manage"?

2. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Probably means that you end up being as competent at basic tasks as your average manager.

CH1 likes this.
  3. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

session beer should be about 3% in my opinion. I think they are misusing the word session here

oryx likes this.
  4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Ideally, but very hard to get it that low. Kernel Table Beer is the closest I’ve found.

5. friendofdorothy

yes its very hard to find anything other than stronger, overpriced IPA/ pale ale/ golden ales these days.

I'm a (very) bitter woman.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If I'm DJing I need to get on the session beers because over a 4-5 hour session I can get through a lot of the stuff, even if I'm drinking slowly.

Most of the venues I play at don't have decent beer, so I go for 'session' strength over taste and wolf down Amstel/Carling (which is actually only 3.7% according to this) or Fosters. I know the purists will disapprove but I REALLY appreciate the difference next day.

7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'm all for low/medium strength beers being available everywhere. It allows one the option to have a beer safe in the knowledge they can go on and drive both safely and legally.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Such a shame there's fuck all regular live music happening there now. Their events page only has one solitary item listed, and that's for a performance of Shakespeare in the garden for over £17 in August.

9. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I like the fact that the pubs are pretty straight forward pubs in Herne Hill, especially on the weekend. It's nice and relaxed. Live music at off the cuff when you fancy. And Brixton, where most pubs are now packed venues of some sort, is 5 minutes away.

There was a performance of Under Milkwood for Dylan Day in the Half Moon last week (which I missed, unfortunately).

wurlycurly and Nanker Phelge like this.
  10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

They do twee jazz in the shed in the garden too - free as far as I remember. Shame it's still badly managed.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It seems finely tuned for the middle class clientele/yummy mummies that they seem to want to attract. Shame. It used to be a good pub and a valuable place for local musicians to play and watch up and coming bands.

I'm pretty much over twee jazz as it's bloody everywhere. Still, you'd think they'd at least bother to advertise it.

12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Well it was hardly a decent music venue in the last 15 years until the penultimate landlord started putting nights on again in the back room - and then the Herne Hill floods happened. I'd put on some events there - and was never made that welcome despite their bar % deal which they did very well on! It has a pedigree though, i'll give you that.

friendofdorothy and sealion like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a bit frustrating as the place still seemed to have a fair bit of potential as a decent live venue - even if they'd scaled it back a bit. That said, the staff and security were really fucking rude when I played there last.

14. friendofdorothy

twee jazz, when does that happen? I thought the garden shed was the creche.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Anyone know who is running this twitter account? He seems very keen to suggest he's representing lots of people (and the campaign) but goes all coy when people ask for details....

16. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

That reads like Peter who runs the Save FB page, but multiple people seem to post from it.

17. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

More likely that as a local “influencer” he has cheap vip and a load of free drinks tokens.

Alex

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a real shame that he's using that campaign group to forward his own personal agenda, and giving the impression that he is speaking for all those who were involved in saving the Half Moon.

snowy_again likes this.
  19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yes to be honest I've found that group starting to get a little annoying on Facebook. It's gone past it's remit really hasn't it.

Obviously I should get around to leaving it!

editor likes this.