1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Moon Herne Hill reopening

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Fingers, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

I think this campaign deserves a post of it's own for updates instead of being buried in the Herne Hill thread. Another potential loss of a live music venue in south London, not just that but a pub that welcomed me to London and a pub that has provided me with so many brilliant friends.

Last week I wrote an article for Brixton Buzz about the campaign that is now under way and will keep the thread updated as and when new stuff happens like council meeting/ACV updates etc.

Campaign to save the Herne Hill’s Half Moon pub gathers momentum with an ACV application

2. Fingers

editor Can you change the link at the bottom of the article to this thread please. Cheers :)

Greebo, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  3. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

We want the moon! miss it terribly and all the lovely drunks in it, we're all scattered to the winds now.

Greebo and ska invita like this.
  4. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

A crying shame it has been closed for so long. I've been drinking in there for the best part of 20 years. Me and Ms Hatter had our birthday in there just before it got flooded. A terrible waste.

I will set up the cider bar in there if someone can get me the keys?

Greebo and Fingers like this.
  5. Fingers

Update:

LATEST NEWS: After receiving representation from a number of members of this group and consulting with Herne Hill Forum earlier today, we have taken a decision to launch a Change.org petition to the Mayor of London to save the Half Moon Pub as a live music venue.

This new petition is entirely separate from the nomination process with Southwark Council to make the pub an Asset of Community Value, but we feel it will give an opportunity for everyone in our community make their voice heard to our elected Mayor, and assist us in making representation against any potential future planning application for change of use of the existing function room at the pub.

It remains for me to say, please click below and sign our petition! Thank you.
    Boris Johnson: Save the Half Moon Pub in Herne Hill SE24 as a live music venue

buscador and Greebo like this.
  6. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

So why are Dulwich Estate sitting on their hands over all the closed pubs on their turf? Anyone know?

Greebo likes this.
  7. Fingers

Pretty much, they want to flog them off for posh unaffordable flats or posh hotel rooms... killing the music scene...

The Dog in Dulwich Village has fallen victim to hotel rooms, the other pub is already done and dusted as flats.

Things are coming under more scrutiny now :cool:

8. ska invita

The Dog will have hotel rooms above to the pub though right? Surely none of the pub floor will be gone? Amazed that building isnt listed... I dread to think what theyve done to the interior.

The other one is the Harvester? Going to be flats is it? Thats sad....

So they're actively pursuing turning the Half Moon into flats?

9. Fingers

it does not matter so much for the Dog as it was not a live music venue but it will probably have repercussions on the beer garden.

They tried to get planning permission to turn the upstairs of the Moon into flats but Southwark Council told them no. I have spent many a night kipping above the pub so know the layout and they could probably get three/four decent sized flats out of it with a tame pub downstairs but now that is off the cards they want to turn the upstairs into hotel rooms. The campaign to to stop them doing that as it will kill off any chance of live music.

Previously it was a boxing gym so no problem for the music. If they want to use the upstairs they should convert it into something for daytime use or rent the rooms out as they previously were.

Greebo and ska invita like this.
  10. Fingers

Greebo, ska invita and snowy_again like this.
  11. ska invita

Good news... Keep us posted if there's anything we can do beyond the petition....

Cpatain Rbubish, Greebo and Fingers like this.
  12. Fingers

Greebo and brixtonblade like this.
  13. Fingers

Oh I have some excellent news. Asset of Community Value order GRANTED!!

12391448_981707541894970_8028623469375828167_n.jpg

purves grundy, Greebo, oryx and 5 others like this.
  14. Fingers

I can imagine there is some frothing going on at Dulwich Estates

15. Fingers

Update:

clandestino, Greebo and ska invita like this.
  16. ska invita

Thats great news...must say though, Fullers isnt really a chain I associate with live music, in fact the opposite, Fullers in my limited experience dont even have any background music playing....Looking up The DIstillers it seems like they have the odd acoustic turn and some comedy which is a different thing completely = Id still be very watchfull on this

Greebo likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Greebo likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fullers used to run several good music pubs back in the day. To be honest, I couldn't care if it's fucking one string ukuleles every night. The pub is coming back. That's all that is important right now.

19. Fingers

Here

The Dulwich Society

Greebo likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I saw that but it only has half of the statement!

I see the full version by Peter Blair appears on the Facebook page - is he involved in the DS?.

21. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Fantastic news :)

22. Fingers

He ran the Save the Half Moon Campaign and has been working very closely with the Dulwich Society. I can get a quote from him for the article if you like

Greebo likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Please do, ASAP if poss! ;)

24. ska invita

Sorry to be pessimistic here, but the more i think about it the more im doubtfull you ever get anything rocking in that back room other than ukeleles...

25. Fingers

Just messaged him :)

editor likes this.
  26. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I'll take "operating pub" over "dilapidating ruin" any day.

spanglechick, Guineveretoo and editor like this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't give much of a fuck right now to be honest, Mr Doom. It was going to be yuppie flats or rot away for months and months. And now it's going to reopen as a pub. Isn't that enough for now?

Greebo likes this.
  28. ska invita

May have misunderstood but I thought from Fingers posts that there were always plans to reopen it as a pub - that pub part of it was safe - it was about what happened with the upstairs rest of the building - and the campaign here was to keep flats away so it could stay a real music venue.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This guy wasn't playing a ukulele at their Distillers pub in W6:

[​IMG]

30. ska invita

That back room in the Half Moon was a rock venue with amps and shit. Fullers and that dont really add up in my book. I foresee the back room being knocked through, filled with tables and serving pub roasts and then some gentle non offensive music in the corner "for the community" box ticking.

You have to admit that is a likely scenario....
    Thats whats happening in the rest of London