Hackney council considers midnight curfew on clubs and pubs

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jul 29, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

.. and it'll be coming to your neighbourhood soon too....

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsand...-clubs-are-to-be-shut-by-midnight-on-weekends

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

3. Pickman's model

4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

If you look at the policy document:
    https://consultation.hackney.gov.uk...7Draft_Statement_of_Licensing_Policy_2016.PDF

Section 7.9 seems to be saying that nightclubs won't have restricted hours in Dalston and Shoreditch, but will everywhere else in the Borough.

My reading is also that this will only apply to new venues (not sure what happens to existing venues who need to renew their licence or get new management though).

Pubs closing at midnight is a bit off, but if it only applies to new ones that's not exactly draconian. Except - over time you would expect places to close down and new places to open up. Presumably this means the new places will not be open as late as the old ones, so there will be a gradual ratcheting down of the nightlife.

As usual it depends on how it's enforced and what is seen as being troublesome. And generally I am sceptical of the council having the same views on that as me. But they can already shut people down and refuse new venues to open...

BUT. If you talk to people who live on the estates near Shoreditch there are issues with pissed up people (shall we call them hipsters? :D) wandering around in the middle of the night using communal spaces as toilets.

So... it's complicated. But don't trust Hackney Council.

Manter and Pickman's model like this.
  5. Pickman's model

when i worked for them i couldn't even trust my payslip

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  6. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

midnight is well early

FullFathomFive likes this.
  7. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

There are a few pubs near me with latish licences at the weekend (The Crooked Billet and the Clapton Hart) I think they open until 1am - can't say I've ever noticed much noise afterwards (I'm nearer the Billet tbf)

A friend who lives almost opposite the Hart seems quite happy with it, she used to really suffer when Chimes was chucking people out at 4 or 5 in the morning - he basement flat was a convenient stopping point :hmm:

8. FullFathomFive

FullFathomFive Well-Known Member

It's just a constant cycle; shit hole becomes cheap, fills up with people doing cool shit, dickeheads jump on bandwagon, prices go up, rich people buy up, then moan at the cool shit, cool shit goes elsewhere... Ad infinitum.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good news:

http://londonist.com/2015/08/hackney-u-turn-over-licensing-row

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

spitfire likes this.
  11. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

The "night czar" has just said "huh, not my problem" and hasn't engaged with anybody.

spitfire likes this.
  12. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

How much is the night czar who has no influence over London's nightlife paid?

13. drachir

£35k for 2.5 days a week.

14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

She’s getting destroyed on twitter as people quite reasonably ask why she isn’t launching a campaign to save Hackney’s nightlife.

Like she did when the Vauxhall Tavern was under threat from a developer. Where coincidentally she happened to be running a club night.

spitfire, maomao and editor like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

It's £75,000 full-time now.

17. drachir

Christ

18. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

5E62329B-FFB2-4A0E-92D2-72D5BAE2F89D.jpeg