Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by 5t3IIa, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

just a heads-up for hackney cyclists, one of my colleagues was mugged in springfield park last night and had his bike nicked by a gang. be careful out there!

marty21, blossie33 and littleseb like this.
  2. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

seems to happen a lot in Springfield and Markfield Park. I know of 3 people who were mugged at knife point for their bikes round there at night.
    I avoid that stretch of the canal at night time on my own.

3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

There was a protest about the muggings in Springfield Park last summer iirc. Possibly the Summer before that...

Pickman's model and marty21 like this.
  4. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Lots of signs up on the Lea about this stuff going on , be careful .

blossie33 and Pickman's model like this.
  5. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

A friend of mine told me, about 10 years ago, not to go walking by the Lea at night, said he wouldn't ride his bike down there either.

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

yeh it is never going to be safe down there, just because of the geography... it is absolute perfect mugging territory. That's what stopped the anchor and hope ever becoming my local, I didn't fancy the walk back at the end of the night.

Pickman's model and blossie33 like this.
  7. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Actually, the friend who told me not to go at night happens to be a regular at the Hope and Anchor :D
    It's one thing that would put me off living on a canal boat, I would be nervous about dodgy people being around at night in certain areas :(

marty21 and Pickman's model like this.
  8. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I have walked back from the Anchor and Hope in the dark a few times - nothing happened but it felt like something could happen iykwim .

9. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

tbf it was a lot better a few years ago when the first yuppies moved into the area and didn't know about us. since word spread and the yuppies started to take Ubers everywhere it's barely worth the risk imo.