Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by 5t3IIa, Nov 20, 2007.

1. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

:( I saw a bit about that yesterday, police appealing for any witnesses but nothing about how they might have died, very sad.

2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

The Windsor Castle in Lower Clapton , may be re-opening as a pub :hmm: passed it the other day and work has started , the previous hoarding has been replaced with new hoarding with signage from a construction firm. There is a website (also under construction) which suggests (to me) it will be a pub
    Coming Soon

blossie33 and Pickman's model like this.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Looking for a decent but cheap venue in N16 for my birthday in June? I used to use the room above the Birdcage but they have chopped it in half during the refurb... any ideas? 50 people?

marty21 and Pickman's model like this.
  4. marty21

The Lion (Red lion ? Used to be The Magpie & Stump ) has a room for hire upstairs.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. Fozzie Bear

Yes! I was planning to have a look at that this weekend, nice one. Has anyone been there any time recently?

6. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Mascara Bar does private events apparently, free to hire.
    Not sure how many it holds, I've only been inside once and it's not very large.

www.mascarabar.co.uk

7. Fozzie Bear

Yeah it's not bad in there but I suspect they'd want a fair wedge to close it on a Saturday night...

blossie33 likes this.
  8. marty21

Not quite N16, but the Hart can let you have a room (it's curtained off but still a room) not sure of prices - but Saturday night might be difficult - you can also hire part of the garden at the Crooked Billet, and it all tented up in case of inclement June weather - again not sure about Saturday nights when it is heaving.

9. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

The Others is ok to hire.

10. Fozzie Bear

Thanks marty21

Seb - I had my 40th at The Others but it’s a bit cavernous for me, probably.

Pickman's model and marty21 like this.
  11. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, is the traffic always this bad at this time on Stamford Hill? It's just taken me a good 30 mins on the bus from SN High St -- could've walked it quicker. Now in St Ann's Rd and it's all backed up here too.

Eta And what's happening to St Ann's Hospital? They seem to be building flats on huge swathes of the site. (Or, more likely, luxury appartments. :rolleyes:)

12. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Yeah, the traffic is bad up Stamford Hill sometimes :( maybe a hold up somewhere further on.

Re St Ann's hospital, the site is being redeveloped, I read somewhere that the Mayor of London has purchased the site (maybe not actually him alone) to ensure that affordable housing is built there - I'll see if I can find a link, can't remember where I saw it now.

Sue likes this.
  13. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

14. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

littleseb, blossie33, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  15. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

blossie33 and Pickman's model like this.
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

They'll be local people after they move in

Sue likes this.
  17. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

So, the Hackney Half-Marathon raises a lot of money for charity and all that but it really pissed me off today. Went out about 9:30 this morning to discover that where I live was completely hemmed in by the route. I asked a couple of stewards how I could get to the other side of Shacklewell Lane and (and then to Kingsland High St) and they had no idea. Ended up (with a load of other people) having to just cross the route, trying to avoid the runners. A friend told me earlier he did the same thing a bit further down and one of the runners physically pushed him on the chest out the way. :mad:

Looked at the route map later and basically there wasn't a way of getting out apart from braving the runners and crossing the route. Obviously not really an option if you're not very mobile or have kids with you or just don't feel confident about moving through a load of fast moving runners.

Had seen no information about this locally and it's really shit that little or no thought seems to have been given to residents -- were we just expected to stay in between 9 and 2 today? :facepalm: