1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by 5t3IIa, Nov 20, 2007.

1. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

in other Hackney news, the car garage by london fields station burnt down to the ground yesterday. wow, so much smoke!
    the building next door which houses all sorts of anglican churches seems to have been affected too.
    that was the last remaining 'real industrial' spot in that little pocket.
    hope the owners are ok and get some money off insurance.

2. Sir Belchalot

Sir Belchalot arenicola marina

Not half as much as it changed in the 80s, I do miss the days of corrugated iron.

Fozzie Bear and marty21 like this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i miss the days when no hackney estate was without at least one burnt out car

marty21, Sir Belchalot and Badgers like this.
  4. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Sorry to hear Rosa's has closed - not that I ever frequented it myself!

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

After quite a bit of persuasion I went to the Stoke Newington Tea House last night (the one that used to be the Daniel Defoe pub).

It was actually pretty good. :oops:

I didn't have anything tea-related though.

marty21 and Pickman's model like this.
  6. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

We went to the place that replaced the Fox Reformed on Church St, The Fox and Pie . I had suet pudding as the pies are pie hats rather than proper pies :mad: but the suet pudding was lovely :thumbs:

Pickman's model and Fozzie Bear like this.
  7. Pickman's model

kurd watching: saw a pkk demo heading south down kingsland high street round 5pm yesterday

8. marty21

Went there a few months ago , was a bit underwhelmed tbh

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. Fozzie Bear

I was expecting it to be hipster posho hell and it was actually just a fairly normal upmarket pub. With Jon Snow off of the news at the next table.

Pickman's model and marty21 like this.
  10. Rutita1

Rutita1 Wicked, Wicked, HYSTERICAL!

11. Rutita1

Rutita1 Wicked, Wicked, HYSTERICAL!

12. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Yes, I had read that, very sad - the convenient 'fires' etc. - disgusting that it was allowed to happen.

13. marty21

14. Pickman's model

the area from the former acton arms at 298 kingsland road up to the junction of queensbridge road, dalston lane, graham road has seen a statistically improbable number of convenient fires.

marty21 likes this.
  15. marty21

It was around there , maybe 2007?

16. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Northwold Road floods:

[​IMG]

17. Pickman's model

Burst main?

18. Fozzie Bear

Yep

19. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

And to add to the chaos, a car seems to have gone into the front of the Hackney Pirates shop (across-ish from the Rio) so that lane's all taped off from Sandringham Rd to Shacklewell Lane and lots of police hanging about.

20. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

The buses seem to be heading from SN to Dalston okay though they're still doing a bit of a magical mystery tour round the Angel.

21. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

On the path of the Hackney Brook which was said to widen to ten metres at Stoke Newington. never live on a flood plain even when the river is deep underground.

alsoknownas and Pickman's model like this.
  22. Pickman's model

Till Friday apparently

23. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I go into the Newsagents in the block of shops on the left when you turn into Northwold Road off Stamford Hill and was in there on the Saturday morning before the flood. The water main was already broken and had been leaking since the beginning of the week and all Thames Water had done was to come and put a fence round it. I feel very sorry for the people in the shops as it would no doubt have got into their basements at least and it could have been avoided if Thames had taken proper action sooner.

24. Pickman's model

as he is a local solicitor, i am sure diamond would be glad to help local residents and businesses seek compensation from tw.

25. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

...............and on a different note - a great old photo of the Clapton Hart when it was the White Hart Hotel and the building to the left when it was still a cinema!

[​IMG]

Fozzie Bear and alsoknownas like this.
  26. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Did the campaign to reopen the cinema ever take off?

27. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

No, it's an Ethiopian Church now.

28. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

There's a campaign to reopen one in Homerton but can't see it being a goer in the long term given the Rio"s always struggling and the HPH is v close.

29. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Do you mean what was the old Castle Electric Theatre in Brooksby's Walk?
    Their space over what is now the Spa shop will actually be opening in the new year - hopefully it will turn out well for them but I know what you're saying...

30. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the one. Likewise hope it goes well but not convinced it'll be viable really.