1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grimmest place in the south?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by bfg, Mar 16, 2007.

1. electrogirl

electrogirl dignity is overrated

i come from rye and have a bit of a soft spot for hastings, yes it's pretty scummy but at least it's interesting, it has a lot of history, alot of it dark (all the alistair crowley stuff etc.) and loads of stuff going on. i'd rather live there than slough or ashford for instance, at least hastings has a bit of soul.

Maggot likes this.
  2. piff diddly

piff diddly Banned Banned

tit

3. piff diddly

piff diddly Banned Banned

I live up william of walworths arse

Spymaster likes this.
  4. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Fibber.

You still live in your mother's sweaty pudenda.

When she's not renting it out as docking space for sailors cocks, like.

5. mike90210

mike90210 Banned Banned

when y'all gonna realise that every town in shit, youve named everywhere practically anyway, and what you lot fail to mention is there is no jobs up north and higher crime, so it evens out having a rat run to work etc, as for the racist overtones on a few of these posts, your right the south is where all the pakistanis go like luton, they are like flies round shit a few celcius better weather than say Lancashire, in Congo or wherever in the 1970s the general kicked all the pakistanis out on a banana boat cos they dont integrate, what does that tell you, even a negroe could come up with a better plan !

6. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

Reported the racist wanker.

And to answer the OP, apparently it’s Chatham. Urban has taught me much.

7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat it's all a load of baubles

i feel a :hmm: coming on

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Pitsea ftw

pug likes this.
  9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

It was Indians, it was landlocked Uganda, and idi amin was a field marshal. But don't be too downhearted, you got the decade right.

The39thStep likes this.
  10. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

I really feel a trip to Sheerness is in order from what I have heard from ex co-workers who lived there , but not alone.

Leysdown is particularly grim I read somewhere.....

11. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Gibraltar. It really is as bad as you think.

12. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

spent two hours in Crawley the other day. All i saw was roundabouts, a maze of semis, and new town shopping high streets. Is there more to it than that?

13. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

MK isn’t that grim. Dull, but I wouldn’t say grim.

14. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Here's Juan I prepared earlier

Gosport must be a contender.

mauvais likes this.
  15. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

I grew up in Gosport. I agree it's a total shithole but it kind of hurts my brain to think about it. (((Home)))

Portsmouth too, all its suburbs and inner city areas without exception; even Southsea is grey, dull and violent and it's the posh bit.

OTOH there's the seaside. How much worse it would all be without beaches.

EtA just noticed how old this thread is and how many early mentions Portsmouth gets. Lucky I didn't see them before or I might have come in all defensive and Up Pompey etc. :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    mauvais likes this.
  16. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Isle of Sheppey takes some beating; its really just an oil refinery.
    Bognor doesn't have much going for it, very little in fact.
    Wembley. We went to Wembley from the North Circular recently. It was like driving through a very dirty industrial estate.

DJWrongspeed likes this.
  17. Maggot

Maggot .

I think a lot has changed in the 10 years since this was posted and Folkestone has some of these things now. Some of the other seaside towns are much improved too (Margate for example).

18. xenon

xenon ·≈0

I went to Herne Bay fairly recently. Seemed okay. A good pizza restaurant and cinema anyway. And yeah, Margate is alright.

19. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

I remember being quite appalled by Hastings once...

20. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I love Hastings- but only one half of it

21. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

(The half that didn't vote for Rudd)

marty21 and hash tag like this.
  22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Goodness, Hastings voted for that bitch. They have much to answer for.

23. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

I go to Gosport regularly for sailing reasons. Absolute shit hole :(

24. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese Rt Hon. Thingummy

No, that's it. There's a massive industrial estate to the south of Gatwick, but basically you've got the measure of the place. Monotony.

25. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

There are some terrible places along the North Circular. The road has destroyed any concept of place in some parts. Lea Valley Viaduct et al. It's like the interzone to nowhere. I hope there are no more roads in London like this.

26. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Here's Juan I prepared earlier

According to my mother when I was a toddler I used the word Worthing for any place I took a dislike to. It might have been a dire panto at the Connaught Theatre that made me hate it so.

hash tag likes this.
  27. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Eastleigh is a place worth avoiding. Grim because of the people not the environment, which is the very un-grim Test valley.**
    **edit: as corrected, it's the Itchen not the Test.

For grim environment in Hampshire, Portsmouth and Southampton between them have it pretty much sewn up. Oil refinery visible from everywhere, Dockyards and boatyards everywhere, rubbish and oil and shit in all the water and all over the beaches, smells of seaweed, mud, diesel and grease, though not so much nowadays as when I was a kid, and not fish or bakeries of breweries nowadays either. More dog shit too, and way way more cars obviously, the whole Solent area chokes on traffic. England flags and various forms of union flags flying everywhere does no favours for me, and every fucking green space there used to be is getting built on. Barracks and nurse' homes becoming flats. Industries gone, noisy stinking factories, warehouses, docks and yards now full of nail shops and vape shops and tattooists and cafes. Not sure which is worse tbh.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Chilli.s likes this.
  28. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

London. It's full of cunts! :D

29. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Eastleigh is on the Itchen valley, but you are correct in the evaluation of its grimness.

mojo pixy likes this.
  30. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Nah. It's not lovely by any means but unlike elsewhere, there's few places in Hampshire that you'd immediately think twice about wandering through - Gosport probably the only one that springs to mind.