1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grimmest place in the south?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by bfg, Mar 16, 2007.

1. bfg

bfg New Member

The northern ones a bit of a slow burner, and theres more than a slightsuggestion appearing on that thread that the other half of England has its very own array of shitholes to choose from.

I'll start the ball rolling with Milton Keynes, a town thats given itself a double-barrelled name in order to entice the dailymail readers there, the ultimate barratt hell, so awful that London-based cartographers desperately assign the place as being in the midlands but fool no-one. Its even more blander and characterless than Kenny G's greatest hits collection, but I'm pretty sure its not alone.

Any other dogturds floating about in the land of milk and honey?

2. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

I'll second MK.

Lived there far too long :(

I'll propose Stevenage..

3. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Any of the South East new towns, Harlow for example, total hell hole.

May I add the Kent Medway towns, Dartford, Ramsgate etc..

4. Spion

Spion I hear ya

grimness down south . . .

Sutton, Surrey

Actually all of Surrey

all of London outside the inner boroughs

Swindon

Basingstoke

Portsmouth

Hythe, Folkestone, Dover

mrs quoad likes this.
  5. mozzy

mozzy dysleptic

Peterborough, Stevenage, Milton Keynes, Corby, Luton, Bedford, Kings Lynn.

6. BadlyDrawnGirl

BadlyDrawnGirl Piano Tuna

Sadly I'd have to disagree with those two - and in the case of the former, that's coming from someone who spent 25 years in Southampton. :D

Woking must shade it, surely? Or Orpington...

7. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

leatherhead

8. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

I've never been to Milton Keynes. Is it that bad?

Stevenage is a horrible place, went there for a night out around 1984 and some woman wanted to start a fight with me in the street for no reason. :confused: That's never happened anywhere else in my lifetime thankfully.

Debden on the Central Line is pretty fucking grim, but that's just down to the BNP supporting scum who live there. The tube station has more razor-wire than a concentration camp.

There's a village in the North of Essex also called Debden, but it's lovely there.

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Portsmouth and Croydon.

Altho if I had to choose, it'd be Portsmouth - a daggier, skankier, nastier town I have never visited on these isles...

10. BadlyDrawnGirl

I forgot old Steve - a dump, to be sure. :eek: But can it be said to be the south per se?

11. BadlyDrawnGirl

:(

I can see Pompey's in need of a bit of love today.

(((Portsmouth)))

12. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Gravesend.

I seem to have only lived in shitholes :(

13. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

Newbury, Swindon, Portsmouth

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Oh yeah, Harlow.

Altho that has more to do with One Night In Harlow when I was a roodbwoy yoot than it being an especially unpleasant town...

15. Griff

Harlow is quite a green place overpopulated with roundabouts. It's not actually as grim as people make out. Although some of the 15 year old kids look like Wilfred Bramble. :confused:

16. BadlyDrawnGirl

17. Loki

Loki RIP R.I.P.

Eastbourne. Lived there for a year when I was a nipper. The view of the sea was nice, but that was about all the entertainment on offer

18. electrogirl

electrogirl dignity is overrated

bexhill down the road is pretty depressing. went to college in Sidley, part of bexhill and it was hell.

19. Sweaty Betty

Sweaty Betty Hemo rising!

Reading, didcot, southampton

20. BadlyDrawnGirl

Ain't that the truth. The nadir of the disgraceful '30s - '60s urbanization of the Sussex coastline. :(

21. nadia

nadia Well-Known Member

Swindon horrible only been once.
    Could never go back to MK it gets worse every time I visit

22. Sweaty Betty

Sweaty Betty Hemo rising!

Yes and swindon

23. Griff

Barking is fucking grim, all the burnt out 'Soviet' style tower blocks. It seems hard to believe people live there. :(

24. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Bombed to fuck, hence the crap buildings. Exeter is another one like that - every block looks different

25. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

Medway towns vary a fair bit though - and Rochester is quite posh these days. Strood and Gillingham are a grim as mr g.reaper though. My own list would include:-

Northfleet
    Crayford
    Erith
    Herne Bay
    Grays
    Purfleet
    Southend on Sea
    Didcot
    Stevenage
    Edmonton

but theres nothing in the south to rival Sunderland which has to be the grimmest place in the UK.

26. zenie

zenie >^^<

Aldershot :eek:

or somewhere in Essex, I doubt anywhere's as grim as places like Southend in Surrey to be fair!!

hash tag likes this.
  27. Griff

I've never been, but a quick search show how cheaply you can buy a 4 bedroom house there though. :eek:

Sunderland palace

28. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Draw a straight-ish line on a map from Harwich to about Reading, and then straight downwards towards the Solent. Anywhere south-east of that Line is somewhere I would not like to live, with the partial exception of Brighton, and even possibly Chichester.

I'll reserve particular mention for Portsmouth, Dartford, Scumhampton, Maidstone, Haywards Heath, Uckfield, Basingstoke and the expensive dump that presumes to be the capital city.

29. jbob

jbob Well-Known Member

As someone born in Dartford and raised in Gravesend I'm pleased to see that they've both already been mentioned.

Gravesend is famous for two main things: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness is narrated from there, and Pocahontas died there. Dartford is famous for the Rolling Stones. None of which have been a consolation to me.

Crayford, Erith and Northfleet are the pick of the shit, though.

30. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Erith and Crayford, granted - but not Thamesmead??

Thamesmead has the particular distinction of the smell of the sewage works. <shudder>

I venture also: Strood.