Great Western Railway electrification 'four years late'

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Jan 22, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's no way Brunel or the REAL GWR would be this useless.

Great Western Railway electrification 'four years late' - BBC News

Greebo likes this.
  2. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

Brunel (Isambard) was a salesman, as well as a great engineer. Read about the launch of the Great Eastern and you might not have so much confidence in his ability to deliver on time and to budget . Brunel (Marc) was famous for going bankrupt.

mauvais and Pickman's model like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He achieved a fair bit along the way, and unlike these fucking franchise sharks tinkering around with a system that is already established, he was making things from scratch and at the cutting edge of innovation in some ventures - so of course there was failures along the way.

4. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here Banned

It's got nothing to do with GWR.........

5. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

There are numerous very good reasons why major construction projects take a lot longer then they used to, not least because we have a somewhat less cavalier approach to the lives of construction workers these days.

Its also a lot easier to build from scratch then it is around an existing service. The redevelopment of London Bridge is a good example, what they are trying to achieve there is an extraordinary feat of engineering - building a new station on the site of the old one whilst the old one is still open. Add to that its happening on top of a warren of Victorian subways and tunnels which were never designed to hold the mass they want to put above it, you can see why these things take forever.

The real question is why initial predictions are so often badly out on time-scale and cost. I suspect part of this is the 'unknowns' that appear but I also think a lot of it is deliberate, its in a lot of people's interest to over-promise because once the project has been started it will finish regardless of cost. My company are doing a lot of work with Crossrail (also behind) at the moment and its a real eye opener to how large government infrastructure projects are run.

Zimri and Bungle73 like this.
  6. LeslieB

LeslieB Banned Banned

Because all the money is going into HS bloody 2?

I'm getting similarly impatient with the midland mainline electrification. Will that happen this side of doomsday I wonder?

7. stdP

stdP I never learn.

When they finally reconfigured the last stretch of the GWR to change from broad to standard guage in 1892... they managed to do it in a single weekend. That's all the railway between Paddington and Bristol/Exeter, 180 miles or so IIRC, being relaid in the space of two days.

I don't think GWR put on any railway replacement buses though.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Part of it has now been turned on

Greebo likes this.
  9. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

We came through from Paddington to Reading on the relief lines yesterday evening, and I did wonder if they were up to something. Great news that it's moving forward, albeit rather slower than it should have been.

Greebo likes this.
  10. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Rail update: rail investment in the Great Western route - Written statements to Parliament - GOV.UK

So no electric trains to Temple Meads for the foreseeable. They've brought all the bi-mode trains to the front of the order, so they can just about put a brave face on it, but this is basically "we give up" for electrification of the GWR. Look forward to the same thing happening to other electrification projects.

11. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

The first three are daft, but electrifying the Slough - Windsor line would been a monumental waste of money.

12. General Veers

General Veers Active Member

Kings Cross to Leeds, Newcastle and Edinburgh was done much quicker and for far less in relative terms. That's because it was done properly under British Rail.

The Great Western electrification is a farce, contractors dropping bollocks all over the place and big gaps where there are no masts or wires at all.

13. Bungle73

"Properly"? The ECML electrification was done on the cheap, the ramifications of which we are still living with today.

Dogsauce likes this.
  14. General Veers

General Veers Active Member

Class 91 electric locomotives and Mark 4 stock have been running up and down the East Coast Main for nearly quarter of a century so it can't be that bad.

15. Bungle73

When they aren't stuck somewhere because the lines have come down.

16. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

18. Tories in not giving a fuck about a place they don't give a fuck about shocker.

1% of rail funding when Wales has 6% of the network. Wankers.

A380 and editor like this.
  19. Crispy

Network Rail were totally fucking this up. Cancellation is an act of mercy.
    Crying crying shame.

20. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Diesel, hmm, thought we were being told diesel is now evil.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Evasion in action:

Tonia Antoniazzi (Gower) (Lab)
    What steps he is taking to electrify the rail network to Swansea and further west. [900455]

The Secretary of State for Transport (Chris Grayling)
    I congratulate the hon. Lady on her election to this House. Electrification work is continuing on the Great Western main line, but the good news for her constituents and others in south Wales is that the new generation of electric trains will arrive in Cardiff and Swansea this autumn, providing more seats and better journey experiences. That is good news for rail users in south Wales and the west country.

22. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Is it really that hard? Stick some steel beams in the ground and drape some cables over them ffs - most countries seem to manage it. Perhaps we should appeal for state aid from Putin or something.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  23. Bungle73

Er it's not that simple.......

24. Well you have to plug it in to get the electricity flowing, not much more though.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It was a bad idea all along, apparently.

26. Crispy

Those trains are an expensive cludge. Heavy and complicated, and banking their woes for the future. If electrification is such a waste of time, why does every other country do it?

The project failed because the skills have atrophied.

Form a dedicated team with a reliable annual budget and set them to electrifying the country. Start small and build up. Not over-engineered mega projects, just an investment in skills. It'll pay off in the long run.

27. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

"Investment in skills? You mean, like paying them to learn things without the opportunity for some shady qualifications mill to rake off great chunks of profit? And with skills, they'll be harder to replace with work experience and zero hours contract types. Nah, I leave 'investment' to my stockbroker. Let's get the Chinese to do all that outside in the rain stuff"

Crispy likes this.
  28. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Here's a clue as to why this didn't go so well:

R0061717 (1).JPG

Took the money and ran.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still no date:

No date set for electric trains to reach Cardiff Central