Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great piano music

Spymaster

Cockney Wanker
It's a bit of a cliché but the first movement of Mozart P21 really separates the wheat from the chaff for concert pianists. The best I've ever heard was Vladimir Ashkenazy who didn't miss a note and absolutely sets the high-bar for the piece, but I can't find him playing it on YouTube.

Rudi Serkin is a close second but I'm not keen on the cadenza.

(Piano from about 2.30):

killer b

[distant cheering]
Also in the jazz style, get Oscar Peterson & Joe Pass' live LP À La Salle Pleyel. Not on youtube, but it's on spotify - the big track (IMO) is Just Me, Just You. So hot.

ska invita

back on the other side
Just discovered Horace Parlan....plays really nicely, accessible jazz, but drops some really unexpected chords
quite a few blue note recordings in the early 60s.....im yet to check out his later recordings...died last year
Loving this bossa style one: Congalegre - with a killer conga solo on it

Last edited:

butchersapron

blood on the walls
Someone had this in their quietus bakers dozen a few months back, meant to post at the time, it's great. Éthiopiques vol 21 btw

edit: was neko case, and it wasn't the first time this was listed.

Last edited:

danny la rouge

Raddled old poet
Someone had this in their quietus bakets dozen a few months back, meant to post at the time, it's great. Éthiopiques vol 21 btw

edit: was neko case, and it wasn't the first time this was listed.
That's a great album.

Actually a great series; well worth checking the other in the series out too.

killer b

[distant cheering]
I picked up this 1970s box set from a charity shop last week, and am loving it so far. The john Ireland is very pretty indeed.

20180810_180016.jpg

blossie33

trailer trash
Anyone mentioned James Booker yet?
Amazing piano player (....and character!!) who could play all styles from classical to stride.

Can't post any links from phone I'm afraid.

killer b

[distant cheering]
(actually maybe go with this, which is the whole piece - a series of variations on american folk songs. Which Side Are You On is fab,

rubbershoes

not the only raver in the village
George Winston. Quite sublime at times.

It's the weather forecast background music on Moroccan TV :oldthumbsup: